• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Getting OA Signed by Writer/Creator
2 2

13 posts in this topic

I have an original piece of Punisher artwork drawn, inked, and signed by Gil Kane.  It's a really nice pinup piece as it is. However, Gerry Conway (the co-creator of Punisher for those who don't know!) is coming to the local comic shop this weekend and I'm wondering if it's a bad idea to have him sign the artwork as well.  I'm not doing it to up the value, but I also don't want it to bring it down either (you never know when you'll need cash in a pinch...sick kid, etc). Any thoughts on this? Thank yoU!!!!

50806925_363322947782415_7713792522387980288_n.jpg

Get him to sign it on the skull.  Nice and prominent.

Seriously though, I would do it for a page on a story written by an author, but not for a pinup that wasn't from an issue they wrote.  I don't think it would detract from it value-wise unless it was horribly placed, but I don't think it's anything that adds to it.  It is, of course, your piece so if you like the idea of it, I wouldn't say it's wrong at all.

16 minutes ago, GotSuperPowers? said:

Get him to sign it on the skull.  Nice and prominent.

Seriously though, I would do it for a page on a story written by an author, but not for a pinup that wasn't from an issue they wrote.  I don't think it would detract from it value-wise unless it was horribly placed, but I don't think it's anything that adds to it.  It is, of course, your piece so if you like the idea of it, I wouldn't say it's wrong at all.

Do you think it's different in this situation, since he created the character and the basic look?

Just now, Poboyross said:

Do you think it's different in this situation, since he created the character and the basic look?

Slightly, yes.  Again though, I don't think it adds to it.  I'm curious to see more comments though.

If the OA is published I wouldn’t add anything or alter it in any way. I have published art including a cover in which the artist did not sign for whatever reason. The cover is edge to edge art and he probably thought his signature would detract somehow. So I will keep it original as published. That’s just me, I don’t flip out when I see people adding signatures to classic art, I just wont be a bidder at game time. Too much art out there that’s still in its original unmolested state.

Commissions are a different story, go to town on them.

1 minute ago, Oddball said:

If the OA is published I wouldn’t add anything or alter it in any way. I have published art including a cover in which the artist did not sign for whatever reason. The cover is edge to edge art and he probably thought his signature would detract somehow. So I will keep it original as published. That’s just me, I don’t flip out when I see people adding signatures to classic art, I just wont be a bidder at game time. Too much art out there that’s still in its original unmolested state.

Commissions are a different story, go to town on them.

It was never published as far as I know. I totally get it though...hence the struggles. It's also why I'm not cracking open my 8.5 ASM 129. Once I pay for signature and reslabbing, I'll be over $200 into it, and it doesn't enhance its value to ME for that amount. 

I had this I Kill Giants commission done by Ken Niimura (the artist), and then asked Joe Kelly (the author) to tastefully sign it off image. Asking in person with clear direction to the author is key, and handing them a pen of your choice is critical. Super happy with the result.

2f5EtbGQ_2306152144301.jpg

Edited by Sideshow Bob

1 hour ago, alxjhnsn said:

I think it's probably neutral on the value IF and ONLY IF the signature is well placed. If it's too prominent, it will lower the value.

Lovely piece by the way. Gil's work is terrific.

As long as its effect is no worse than neutral, I'm good with that. It's more for my own benefit than anything else, I just didn't want to destroy the value of the piece (and I still may not do it). Frank Castle has been my spirit animal since I was about 10, so having signatures of all those involved in his creation is a goal of mine, lol!

5 minutes ago, Poboyross said:

As long as its effect is no worse than neutral, I'm good with that. It's more for my own benefit than anything else, I just didn't want to destroy the value of the piece (and I still may not do it). Frank Castle has been my spirit animal since I was about 10, so having signatures of all those involved in his creation is a goal of mine, lol!

Since you will clearly never want to sell it, go with your heart's desire. Value becomes irrelevant, in this situation. Although, I also agree with some of the other comments that it shouldn't effect worth. That's a nice Gil Kane, by the way. Usually, I don't like his work (the faces, in particular, are too sterile for my taste).

Lately I have been taking all the OA I can to shows to have inkers, artists, writers who have been involved with the piece sign it. As for a commission I wouldn't have a writer sign it but if you would like it I would encourage you to do so following the recommendations of others here. Have him place the signature where you'd like it.