• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Marvelous Fall of Ms. Marvel #1 (1977)
1 1

46 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, the blob said:
On 5/30/2019 at 11:42 PM, lou_fine said:

Not if you are the one who paid over $30K for a copy of MSH 13.  :screwy:

I wonder how the buyer is feeling about that purchase now.  hm   :tonofbricks:

Ok, that is a bit much. Was it a 10.5?

Can't remember exactly, but if I remember correctly, it was auctioned off on one of the CL Auctions.

Hopefully, it's the single highest CGC 9.8 graded copy, but it's also possible that it might have just been one of the several CGC 9.6 graded copies.  Especially considering how many CGC label chasers and collectors we have out there.  :tonofbricks:

It was actually a boardie here who was the consignor of this particular copy that sold for over $30K.  (thumbsu

Seems like an over the top purchase from my point of view, but still not quite as over the top as this copy of Iron Man 30 that managed to fetch $15K in a CC Event Auction:

iro1.5897a.jpg

Now, that was definitely an irrational price to pay for a non-key otherwise common early BA Iron Man book.  :whatthe:  :screwy: :tonofbricks:

Edited by lou_fine

2 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Can't remember exactly, but if I remember correctly, it was auctioned off on one of the CL Auctions.

Hopefully, it's the single highest CGC 9.8 graded copy, but it's also possible that it might have just been one of the several CGC 9.6 graded copies.  Especially considering how many CGC label chasers and collectors we have out there.  :tonofbricks:

It was actually a boardie here who was the consignor of this particular copy that sold for over $30K.  (thumbsu

Seems like an over the top purchase from my point of view, but still not quite as over the top as this copy of Iron Man 30 that managed to fetch $15K in a CC Event Auction:

Now, tat was definitely an irrational price to pay for a non-key otherwise common early BA Iron Man book.  :whatthe:  :screwy: :tonofbricks:

1 9.8, 7 9.6 on the census.

4 hours ago, Chaos_in_Canada said:

Well, all I can say is that this copy here was all lined up to be in my collection except it looks like it finished up at $31,111 or about $30K more than what I was willing to pay for it.  :bigsmile:

Absolutely hate the CL auction format where you always get these last second bidders with their ridiculous snipe bids.  :mad:  :censored:

Looks like Captain Marvel must be on the rise again as I ended up being the underbidder once again.  :cry:

A copy and a paste of a post I made from another thread yesterday:

Well, if last night's Heritage auction was any indication, it definitey looks like the good times are still here to rock and roll.  :gossip:

Decided to do one of my very few forays into Heritage's Sunday auctions yesterday afternoon and threw in a pie in the sky crazy bid for this book here:

Silver Age (1956-1969):Superhero, Marvel Super-Heroes #13 (Marvel, 1968) Condition: FN-....

Thought for sure that my bid would be safe and forgot all about checking back in to see if anybody would be even crazier than me.

Looks like there was as some crazy fool out there :screwy: went one increment higher than me and bidded $240 on the book for a final price of $288.  My bad as I really should have gone back in and check, especially since I would have been willing to up my bid to $260 for an all-in price of $310 or about a 20% discount to condition guide.  :takeit:

My problem is that I just can't figure out if we are still on a continuation of the uptrend :whee:on the $31,111 that was paid less than a year ago for the then NOT highest graded CGC 9.6 graded copy of this book or are we now over the peak and starting to hit the downward side   :tonofbricks:of the chart for this red hot book here.  hm  (shrug)  lol

Edited by lou_fine

On 6/1/2019 at 4:17 PM, ygogolak said:
On 6/1/2019 at 1:59 PM, lou_fine said:

Now, tat was definitely an irrational price to pay for a non-key otherwise common early BA Iron Man book.  :whatthe:  :screwy: :tonofbricks:

1 9.8, 7 9.6 on the census.

IM 30 census is now at 3 in 9.8, 19 in 9.6 blue label

MSH13 still 1, 8 in 9.8, 9.6 even after that crazy sale.

Kind of weird census is so low on that IM. There's bronze Iron mans that are just as dark or darker with higher census 

Edited by MGsimba77

9 hours ago, comicginger1789 said:

Has Ms. Marvel #1 really fallen that much?

I sold my VF/NM copy for around $100 during the heat of the hypes. VFs or better are going online for between $80-100 raw. Maybe graded prices have taken a hit but the raws still perform okay.

Yeah, the high grade slabbed books peaked pretty high in the run-up to the movie, like most books do ie Iron Man #55, but have definitely come down from that. I think I saw Ms Marvel #1 9.8's sell for close $2800 at the peak on ebay, now they're going for around $1300-1400. I thought about selling my 9.8 but held on to it cause I'm a fan and wasn't ready to part with it.

Speculation-wise, I'd always thought MSH #13 was the Carol Danvers book to have anyway because of scarcity and nothing trumps a true 1st appearance. Either way, I'm holding on to my 9.8 Ms Marvel #1 as well as my high grade MSH #13 (which I just got signed by Roy Thomas so it's with CGC now) because with 6 or so movies left on Brie Larson's contract, Captain Marvel's time as face of the MCU and general Marvel advertising and merch is just beginning.

If you check GPA you will see a lot of downward pointing red arrows, and the list of live auctions is almost off the page, I am wondering if we will be discussing She Hulk #1 in a similar vein this time next year, some of the prices being asked for that book is ridiculous, like this Mayglem .

She Hulk 1 CGC 7.5

4 hours ago, batmiesta said:

If you check GPA you will see a lot of downward pointing red arrows, and the list of live auctions is almost off the page, I am wondering if we will be discussing She Hulk #1 in a similar vein this time next year, some of the prices being asked for that book is ridiculous, like this Mayglem .

She Hulk 1 CGC 7.5

Wasn't this at pretty much the height of the late 70's/early 8-'s speculator's craze and the publishers were already well aware of this fad by then?  hm

As a result, didn't they print up millions of copies of #1 issues like this and threw them into the comic shops so that the speculators could claw and fight over them, simialr to throwing live fresh meat to a den of desparate hungry wolves?  :devil:  lol

Edited by lou_fine

13 minutes ago, HarrisonJohn said:

According to Marvel Comics The Untold Story, She-Hulk 1 sold 250k

Yes, didn't a lot of the buyers at the time ended up giving books like these away for Halloween treats to the kids because they were so plentiful and virtually worthless at the time?  hm

3 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Yes, didn't a lot of the buyers at the time ended up giving books like these away for Halloween treats to the kids because they were so plentiful and virtually worthless at the time?  hm

I think the book was speculated on because Stan Lee wrote it, but the character was initially a bomb so there was no reason for the first issue to hold any value. She-Hulk gained popularity after joining Avengers and her Sensational run and was one of Marvels biggest female characters by the end of the 80s, but I think the Savage title held "25 cent bin" stigma for long after.

Edited by HarrisonJohn

On 8/29/2019 at 11:21 PM, HarrisonJohn said:

I think the book was speculated on because Stan Lee wrote it, but the character was initially a bomb so there was no reason for the first issue to hold any value. She-Hulk gained popularity after joining Avengers and her Sensational run and was one of Marvels biggest female characters by the end of the 80s, but I think the Savage title held "25 cent bin" stigma for long after.

Like rom 1 and dazzler 1 (and MS. Marvel 1 and nova 1 and star wars 1) there are a lot of these out there. All were speculated on. 

On 9/8/2019 at 6:38 PM, the blob said:

Like rom 1 and dazzler 1 (and MS. Marvel 1 and nova 1 and star wars 1) there are a lot of these out there. All were speculated on. 

I was at a convention and got a sick feeling when I realized that I probably should buy the Dazzler 1s that I found in the cheap box.

I decided not to bring shame on my family and left them there though.

4 hours ago, Hamlet said:

I was at a convention and got a sick feeling when I realized that I probably should buy the Dazzler 1s that I found in the cheap box.

I decided not to bring shame on my family and left them there though.

You did the right thing. 

On 5/29/2019 at 8:16 PM, First Upgrade said:

Apparently, at least one more bidder is chasing the dream tonight 

RAD0F65E2019515_105740.jpg

Actually there must be 2

No matter, do you think they could just slap the CVA sticker on there and double the price?

1 hour ago, NP_Gresham said:

Actually there must be 2

No matter, do you think they could just slap the CVA sticker on there and double the price?

Sometimes, although some would say 'most of the time', there are THREE 'bidders'(specifically at auction venues other than eBay)...Bidder #1, Bidder #2, & the House(Bidder #3)...

Just for clarification...do I think that the House could just slap the CVA sticker on the case & double the final bid?

Or, do I think that the 'winning' Bidder could just slap the CVA sticker on the case & double the 'new' asking price?

Full disclosure, I know nothing about the CVA sticker process & resulting comparables whenever 'sold' at market. However, my instincts tell me that the CVA sticker is effectively 'worthless', for my process of purchasing graded comics. I would purchase the CGC 'grader's notes', before bidding/buying, if I was more interested in 'understanding' the apparent technical grade of a book.

There are two familiar concepts that are often at work here...Buy the Book & not the Grade. And/Or, Sell the Grade & not the Book... 

In regard to purchasing a CGC graded 9.8 example of Ms. Marvel #1(1977) 'today'...you can count me out, & it having a CVA sticker has zero influence...

On 5/29/2019 at 4:20 PM, First Upgrade said:

It is tracking downward so fast that it may reach 2013 levels before summer's end...at least, 'publicly'...

GPA has the 2013 'High Sale' price of $750 for a Universal label 9.8, Ms. Marvel #1...

The 2019 'Low Sale' price for a Universal label 9.8, Ms. Marvel #1 is $1,009...the sale, 'happened' yesterday...

Summer is now gone. We are still in uncontrolled free fall of this books resale value...

Edited by First Upgrade