• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

No More CGC Submissions for me
3 3

222 posts in this topic

12 minutes ago, jsilverjanet said:

???

Allow me to reiterate: CGC has a transparent Grading Scale and conveys that more than 1 grader examines each book.

They also have millions of examples that you can examine to get a good grasp on how certain defects affect their opinion of a comic book.

3 hours ago, moemaya said:

I've been selling comics on ebay for a year now and in a quick amount of time learned to build up a presence and following on my SA and BA books. I have consistent great feedback on my shipping, accuracy, and yes...my grading. Im no pro by any means, but when I state a grade whether it be a 4.0 or a 9.0, I get no complaints whatsoever.

Thats why it came to a surprise to me my last CGC graded submission. Ive only submitted twice. The first time was about a year ago when i submitted some old books from my collection. I wasnt sure what to expect but I took a shot and submitted 10 books. I expected higher grading but I didnt know much back then.

I then submitted my 2nd submission recently of 5 books. I had estimated in my grading a range of 7.5 - 9.0 for these books. What came back was so anything but.

I received a 5.5, 6.0, 6.0, 7.0, 7.5. This is absolutely ludicrous. As a reseller I lost hundreds of dollars on this as I could've sold these for higher grades with zero complaints (and no grading fees!).

I will continue to use CGC for their excellent chat boards but thats about it. From now on its high res images and my suggested grade and let the customer decide.

Anyone else have a similar experience?

Okay so you don't agree with the numbers, but what about the grading notes themselves? Do you disagree with the flaws that the graders found?  If the notes are accurate I'm not sure what the argument is. 

26 minutes ago, TwoPiece said:

Allow me to reiterate: CGC has a transparent Grading Scale and conveys that more than 1 grader examines each book.

They also have millions of examples that you can examine to get a good grasp on how certain defects affect their opinion of a comic book.

How many books do you submit?

they share their scale but give zero information on how they score certain defects or the guide they used to determine grades.

they do provide notes but I (and many others here) have plenty of books that have received 9.6 grades and zero notes.

Funny 🧵. Reminds me of a collection I bought once from a seller who had a bunch of bronze slabs with grades from about 6.0 to 8.0. He was mad as a hornet that they didn’t all come back 9.0 plus. I asked him if he’d noticed the subscription crease in some of them?  :roflmao:One thing is for certain CGC graded books sell at a premium to their PROPERLY graded raw counterparts. My question for the OP is do you accept returns?

12 minutes ago, jsilverjanet said:

they share their scale but give zero information on how they score certain defects or the guide they used to determine grades.

they do provide notes but I (and many others here) have plenty of books that have received 9.6 grades and zero notes.

I don't see the relevance of the bolded.

Each grader has their own subjective opinion. There is no objective scale. Their scale tells you how many/large a defect ranges a grade, though.

I find that books in 9.0 grade and higher have flaws ridiculously easy to spot (albeit small). I haven't had a single disagreement when I've bought/seen a book in CGC grade 9.0+. Could be an anomaly, but I am doubting it.

56 minutes ago, TwoPiece said:

"Kool-Aid drinker" :baiting:

28 minutes ago, jsilverjanet said:
58 minutes ago, TwoPiece said:

(thumbsu 9.0 and under, CGC is going to get it right 98% of the time. The real distinction and difficulty (yes, for all of us) is between the higher grades 9.2 and up.  Anyone can nitpick and say, "that's not a ____."  The hard part is stepping up to the plate and making the right call.

18 minutes ago, comix4fun said:

For every "eBay NM seller" there's an "eBay NM buyer"

345227035_runningtoeachother.gif.cf94dec716eb1378337febceec335627.gif

There are plenty of buyers who don't check interiors for stains, tears, missing pieces, detached centerfolds, non color breaking creases, foxing, slight oxidation, or other "not readily apparent" defects that will cost one or more full grade points when submitted.

There are plenty of sellers, that are relatively new to selling, and unaware that their criteria when grading falls short of completeness. They miss those very same defects.

The fact the you and your buyers appear to agree, to date, on the grades you assigned doesn't mean that you're both correct in your assessments.

When bringing in a 3rd party opinion you're also bringing in THEIR criteria for grading and, perhaps, a more thorough and comprehensive condition check than either a relatively new seller and relatively non-scrutinizing buyers perform on the same book. 

I agree with all of this. 

I think we need to take a step back and reevaluate the fact that you do not have a custom title. That's the bigger injustice and the oversight we should be discussing. 

Just now, F For Fake said:

I think we've seen a boom in sellers who don't grade anything beyond the covers, and you're lucky if they looked at the back cover either. And as you said, I think we've seen a lot of buyers who do the same thing. I've missed things in books I've sold before. It happens. But the key is learning from your mistakes and improving your skills. Like 99% of the folks on the boards, I was very disappointed when I got my first batch of CGC books back, way back in the day. Then I realized I didn't know what the hell I was doing, so I got better at it. And I'm 100% positive I still have things to learn 20 years or so later. I keep hearing that CGC is too harsh in high grade right now, and that may be true. So, to that end, I probably undergrade a bit just to be "safe". I don't like for people to be disappointed.

Same here. I remember the book: Special Marvel Edition #15. First book I ever subbed. Had it for 15 years. Remembered it being in great shape. It had great eye appeal. 9.4 easy? Right? 

Got it back...totally missed a light non color breaking back cover corner crease and a tiny stain on the inside of the back cover....8.5.

I was mad for a day...then I looked closely and realized that I had to up my game, not go on memory, and give every book a thorough once over (twice usually), looking for anything and everything. 

Let me be the first here (and probably only one) that will actually relate to your pain. While it's easy for me to take a stand and vilify you as an overgrader, I'm gonna try and approach it from a whole different angle. 

You compared your dissatisfaction with CGC to your satisfaction with EBay based on 2 transactions you had with the former.

While im sure that you are ABSOLUTELY POSITIVELY confident with your grading skills, and based on your feedback from eBay buyers to date proving just that, lets just assume that you are right. 

You still only had 2 transactions with CGC. 

I know, to some that's all you'll need to have.. you estimated you'd monetize on your investment, and it didn't work that way. Sure, the easy way out is to not submit anymore. 

But let's just think that you started with eBay and only had 2 transactions with them which you auctioned for .99 and LOST JUST AS MUCH AS YOU DID WITH YOUR INITIAL ASSUMPTIONS WITH CGC. 

Would you stop using eBay to sell your books?

CGC is as essential to comic book trading as eBay. You can do GREAT with both just as much do LOUSY with both. Just need more practice and time. And yes, unfortunately, with BOTH, you WILL pay for your education. 

I hope this helps