• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

No More CGC Submissions for me
3 3

222 posts in this topic

58 minutes ago, Bookery said:

It's both.

1200px-Schrodingers_cat.svg.png

dude I don't even know what that is. Is that some kinda SAT question where they ask you which direction the cat is going if hammer breaks glass.

I'm very, very distressed now. 

16 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Sad to say, but very true.  :frown:

I would definitely agree with you and say that CGC's undisclosed grading criteria is all about grading very strict and very harshly on the additional revenue stream defects and much less so on the other defects which they cannot generate additional revenues.  Totally understandable though since CCG is a business entity after all, and in that sense it's all about generating as much money for their top and bottom lines by getting their customers to pay as many times as possible on the same book.  Unfortunately, even more so in the past few years now that the former owner of CCS is now the head grader for CGC and it's quite clear where his expertise is in terms of looking for defects.  hm

Why get money only once from a book when you can make subtle, but yet significant undisclosed changes to come up with a grading system which entices the customer to happily and readily submit the exact same book multiple times back to you. :flipbait:   :censored:

What about stains? They are brutal on stains. Much more so than the "old school" graders. Far as I know there is no way to remove stains (without getting into chemical washing, which will get you a PLOD) (shrug)

Edited by LordRahl
typo

3 hours ago, FlyingDonut said:

Oh so much goodness in this. Lets dissect. And yes, I'm going to be a total tool here.

Welcome to the pool. I've been selling on eBay for 22 years. What's your eBay name?

Excellent. Good shipping will get you repeat customers, more than grading will.

Here we go. You get no complaints because the vast majority of eBay buyers can't grade either and overgrading is rampant.

What were the results then? 

Your grading was off. It happens. CGC's graders are better at grading books than you are. 

Instead of whining, ask for the grading notes. Your grading was off, and apparently by a lot. If you missed things or don't understand the CGC grading or don't understand why, find out why instead of whining.

Just to be clear, they weren't high grades. YOU thought they were high grade. I'd love to see your scans. Again, ask for the graders notes. 

And there it is. This why CGC exists.

Absolutely. EVERYONE selling books did. My first submissions got hammered, just hammered. We all thought our grading was good.

CGC - rightly or wrongly - has set a standard. Instead of whining and trying to obfuscate your customer, figure out what the difference is and change what your grading is.

I love it when you get feisty.

:luhv:

On 5/30/2019 at 12:05 PM, moemaya said:

ok theres no way i have time to address all the rebuttals and rebukes on my post...

I agree...CGC does hold a higher standard than me..(i am not worthy):(

But my customers arent unassuming novice buyers. I sell to many established knowledgeable collectors every week that like my books.

Maybe they just ignore my grade and look at my pics which is fine with me.

Thank you all - post closed

FWIW I will buy books from certain people who I think overgrade because they consistently overgrade and the price is right. As long as there’s consistency, I know what to expect and don’t get disappointed.