• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Netflix's THE DARK CRYSTAL prequel show (8/30/19)

6 posts in this topic

First Dark Crystal: Age Of Resistance Poster Released By Netflix

In just about two months, the prequel series to Jim Henson's beloved 1982 film The Dark Crystalwill be arriving on Netflix for all to enjoy. The Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance is going to take the story of the cult classic to an even deeper level, adding to the mythology of Thra and the war between Skeksis and Gelflings. Marketing for Age of Resistance is finally starting to ramp up, as a batch of new photos were released online just last week. In the early hours of Thursday morning, Netflix added even more to the mix, debuting the series' first official poster.

This Dark Crystal prequel series will follow the adventures of three young Gelfling -- Rian, Brea, and Deet -- as they go on a journey together to discover the secret behing the Skeksis' rise to power. Film director Louis Leterrier (The Incredible Hulk, Now You See Me) is bringing the 10-episode series to life for Netflix.

The streaming service has assembled an absolutely stellar voice cast for this prequel, with Kingsman star Taron Egerton, Split and Glass standout Anya Taylor-Joy, and Game of Thrones alum Nathalie Emmanuel portraying the three main characters. The trio is joined by Mark Hamill, Andy Samberg, Caitriona Balfe, Helena Bonham-Carter, Harris Dickinson, Eddie Izzard, Theo James, Toby Jones, Shazad Latif, Gugu Mbatha-Raw, Mark Strong, Alicia Vikander, Harvey Fierstein, Ralph Ineson, Keegan-Michael Key, Olafur Darri Olafsson, Simon Pegg, and Donna Kimball.

On 5/30/2019 at 1:39 PM, Broke as a Joke said:

I have always enjoyed the original movie.  I tried to make the kids watch it and there was zero interest.  

This looks cool for what it is.

Same. My son is 21 now and I never could get him more than 15 minutes into it.

I really like they are going with the original look on the reboot instead of a cgi facelift.

Watched the original  movie a few months ago with my wife who had never seen it.  I remember that I didn't care a lot for it when I was younger and...yep, its a terrible movie.

That said, I went into the series with super low expectations and was very pleasantly surprised.  If you can get past the plot holes, and somewhathackneyed themes, its visually stunning, has a rich lore that theybuild well upon, and has some decent characters.  I'd even say they throw in some pretty cool twists and take it ina darker direction than you'd think in the last couple episodes.

Looking forward to a season 2 if they do one.