• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Blue vs green label

10 posts in this topic

Are blue labels usually preferred over green?  And are all books that are missing a page(s) (almost always) graded .5?

Lastly, would a .5 blue label be more desirable than a 2.5 green label?

Thank you for your feedback. 

There are exceptions... many green labels are given for cover signatures that happened before CGC even existed. If you want a CGC slabbed comic signed by Jerry Siegel (Superman creator), it will be a green label.  He died before CGC existed.

In the case of damages, though, blue labels are usually preferred over green, because a blue label is "what you see is what you get" while a green label is (usually) "what you don't see is something you don't get".

People pay money for confidence. Blue labels provide confidence for what's inside the slab, while green labels usually introduce some doubt about the book inside. Even when you have all the notes, without opening the slab, you're never really sure exactly what's going on in there. There are plenty of exceptions, but generally speaking, confidence beats doubt when it comes to dollars.

24 minutes ago, valiantman said:

There are exceptions... many green labels are given for cover signatures that happened before CGC even existed. If you want a CGC slabbed comic signed by Jerry Siegel (Superman creator), it will be a green label.  He died before CGC existed.

In the case of damages, though, blue labels are usually preferred over green, because a blue label is "what you see is what you get" while a green label is (usually) "what you don't see is something you don't get".

People pay money for confidence. Blue labels provide confidence for what's inside the slab, while green labels usually introduce some doubt about the book inside. Even when you have all the notes, without opening the slab, you're never really sure exactly what's going on in there. There are plenty of exceptions, but generally speaking, confidence beats doubt when it comes to dollars.

Pretty much everything he said.

I would personally never buy a Qualified CGC book. That's just me. I'm in the CGC game for Signature Series (for the most part).

Qualified labels are a somewhat controversial and confusing product, too, in part because of the "score for what you don't have".

My educated guess is that the majority of people would go for a Blue 0.5 than a Green anything when it comes to missing content.

I think the conditions of what's noted on the green label is important, as if there was just a unwitnessed signature on the label, can't you ask CGC to re grade it to consider the signature as damage and get a blue label with the note on the label as "written on page or cover". This would of course be a gamble still as you can never guarantee a grade or know what might have been hidden etc... 

Green labels are a crazy mishmash. Most people seem to want a deep discount on them regardless of why it got green.

I have a Dark Horse/ Dynamic Forces book that is signed by the cover artist.  A non signed copy sold for $125 in 9.8.

My copy is also a 9.8 and is signed by the artist, yet people devalue it because it has a green label. To me, the market has this backwards.

A book missing a MVS is incomplete and should be graded as such. 

CGC realized it made a mistake with its Red labels and quickly eliminated them. They seem to have doubled down on the green label. I'd like to think that is unrelated to their yellow label books ......

On 6/17/2019 at 9:25 AM, shadroch said:

Green labels are a crazy mishmash. Most people seem to want a deep discount on them regardless of why it got green.

My copy is also a 9.8 and is signed by the artist, yet people devalue it because it has a green label. To me, the market has this backwards.

Agreed!  I'd love to have someone attempt to tell me why this book is worth "less" than an unsigned blue label.

0784015002_1200.jpg

3 hours ago, valiantman said:

Agreed!  I'd love to have someone attempt to tell me why this book is worth "less" than an unsigned blue label.

0784015002_1200.jpg

lol its go to be that 537/750 writing on the cover ( I am assuming that's probably the Number he's signed out of a limited 750 amount?)

2 minutes ago, Krishosein said:

lol its go to be that 537/750 writing on the cover ( I am assuming that's probably the Number he's signed out of a limited 750 amount?)

Right. Considering Jerry Siegel, Superman co-creator, died before CGC existed, that green label is the ONLY way to have a CGC slabbed authentic Siegel. :cloud9:

11 minutes ago, valiantman said:

Right. Considering Jerry Siegel, Superman co-creator, died before CGC existed, that green label is the ONLY way to have a CGC slabbed authentic Siegel. :cloud9:

oh yeah I know. I agree that your book should be more than the blue label ones I would love to have that book with Siegel sig on it. 

But they really don't authenticate the signature unless it was a yellow which is impossible. So I guess the only way to kind of have some "pro" authentication is through the other guys service.