• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

July Hake's Auction
1 1

79 posts in this topic

10 hours ago, Bronty said:
10 hours ago, tth2 said:

Yes, I prefer to wait around for the whiter version of the #95 splash.

Hilarious.   Hardy har :eyeroll: 

That's the nature of OA collecting, though, isn't it?  Because of OA's one-of-a-kind nature, you either want a piece, warts and all, or you don't want it.  

Nah.    Sometimes condition just means the bidder doesn’t go after it as hard.   It’s not an all or nothing, binary choice where you either go to the wall or don’t buy at all.    Gene and that xmen splash for example.   He still wanted it and the timing wasn’t right but I got the sense that he would have curbed his bidding by 10-20%.

1 hour ago, batman_fan said:

:whatthe:  This is my biggest auction to date for bidding.

Ah, I just realized that I was only looking at the comic book OA, and that OA for syndicate strips is a separate category.

Thanks for alerting me! 

Those are some excellent Peanuts strips.  Punishment bids duly being submitted. :devil: 

1 minute ago, tth2 said:

Ah, I just realized that I was only looking at the comic book OA, and that OA for syndicate strips is a separate category.

Thanks for alerting me! 

Those are some excellent Peanuts strips.  Punishment bids duly being submitted. :devil: 

:cry:  how do you know I am bidding on them lol

5 minutes ago, Ironmandrd said:

so $75.6k with the juice for the Cockrum X-Men splash---what do X-Men collectors think? 

Pretty much exactly where I thought it would end up.  

95 Splash....congrats to the winner for stealing this one. So much meat left on that bone. Trade value alone ha ha. So nice to see this one come up. Gave us a lot to talk about. I love this obsession of ours.

28 minutes ago, grapeape said:

95 Splash....congrats to the winner for stealing this one. So much meat left on that bone. Trade value alone ha ha. So nice to see this one come up. Gave us a lot to talk about. I love this obsession of ours.

Where would you peg the value of this one?  I thought it was $75-90K and that the lower end was more likely unless two people really went for it. (shrug) 

That splash at 75k all in was bordering on a steal. Very well bought. Dynamic image, something special from a historic book by a great artist. 90k-100k seems more reasonable for that considering good (not great) panel pages have been going off over 20k a page for that early run, and have been doing so for a while.

8 hours ago, delekkerste said:

Where would you peg the value of this one?  I thought it was $75-90K and that the lower end was more likely unless two people really went for it. (shrug) 

You know I believed we would had at least two bidders that would push it to 100k. A splash from such an early "new" X Men period felt like the fresh kind of piece high bidders might draw blood over. 

Grape ape:   I’m not a big Xmen fan but I really like both the cover and splash for 95...  however not everyone seems to share our opinion as neither piece’s results were overwhelming 

Edited by Bronty