• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Let's Just Say You Had $50K
4 4

56 posts in this topic

6 minutes ago, Lethal_Collector said:

Which book or books (regardless of age, up to 5 lets say) would you buy that you think will yield the best results 25 years later, and why?

Jerome

long time no see :foryou: 

IH 181 and 180, no preference of which, but good to have along with GSXM #1 because Wolverine and etc his generic future....perhaps more popular than Avengers...

Pick and choose your Captain Marvel appearances.... because movie future

Hero For Hire 1, Marvel Premiere 15, Jimmy Olsen 134 because they're kind of cheap at the moment....

All Star Comics #58? idk

1st Sabretooth, if they can get it out there, a major wolvie villain.....

UMMM I'm at a loss at the beginning of this, but these are characters I like, with no particular "reason" but optimistically for the reasons given lol 

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

I looked more closely at the title of the thread..... but 

a big 5 isn't up my alley, cause I tend to go cheaper....

but take your pick of 5 among the characters mentioned.....

The big issue in this hypothetical exercise is the duration. If we put the entire $50K into an investment tool that yields 5% for 25 years - that would amount to $169K and change at maturity.

So the selected comics would have to triple in value over the same time frame.

Adamantium is probably right with the IH181 and GSXM1 (but I'd focus on multiples in the G/VG/F range, not the higher grades) that would appeal to "entry-level" collectors.

Isn't there some kind of 25 year rule with collectibles - something like people develop nostalgia (and have disposable income) about collectibles that are 25+ years old? That could mean this current run of MCU characters are back in demand. Or maybe it's the current crop of video game consoles/games or "original" Apple smartphones (shrug)

I'd dive into golden age stuff personally. LB Cole, Matt Baker, Schomburg. All the stuff I should have started with that is now skyrocketing out of range price wise (at least on my current salary).

I would also fill in my ASM run from 1-400. So for me, not so much investment in mind but my collection :)

I would buy the best copies I could find. :flipbait: Then I probably would never sell, screw the money!:headbang:

Tales of Terror annual #1

Crime Suspenstories 22

Black Cat Mystery 50

Dark Mysteries 10

Out of the Shadows 8

Alt. Reform School Girls

I do not know even what that kind of money would buy but here are my thoughts. I might end up not having enough $$$ with these choices!

I would go one way with OA and one another with comics.

OA -  George Herriman Krazy Kat or a Winsor McCay Little Nemo in Slumberland.  A great Bill Everett Doctor Strange page might be in play instead though. Or a Ditko Dr Strange page with just cosmic/dimensional nuttiness if I could get one for that low a price!

comics - ASM 1 and Superman 1 whatever grades $50K would get. I would be hard pressed to pass on a AF15 or Detective 27 in very low grades as well. If I stumbled into a run of Detective Comics with no 27 I might go for a few others in the low #30s and try for 3-5 books.

3 hours ago, Lethal_Collector said:

Which book or books (regardless of age, up to 5 lets say) would you buy that you think will yield the best results 25 years later

Best results to me would be a better run of FFs, so I’d upgrade my 1, and maybe 4 and 5. Use my undercopies to upgrade 2, 3 and 6.

Best $? Who knows? Not why I’m in the hobby.