• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Conan #1 in Voldemort Slab

16 posts in this topic

Thinking about taking this with me to Hawaii and cracking it to get Roy Thomas' sig in a CGC SS slab, but not sure if it will be worth the trouble. I'd also lose the pedigree (PA Dutch) which would be a bit of a bummer. Apologies if the photos are lacking, it's my first time. I can reveal the other company's grade if people want me to/if it's appropriate. 

IMG-6962.JPG

IMG-6963.JPG

IMG-6964.JPG

IMG-6965.JPG

IMG-6966.JPG

IMG-6967.JPG

Looks 8.5 ish to me. 

Not sure about the "revealing the grade of the other guys" stance on the forums.

As for your decision, I personally think it will be better in a CGC case, plus would be great with the Roy Thomas sig and in a yellow label. I personally don't care about collections or pedigree stuff. Basically, all that tells me is that it came from a cool collection. I would think that a lot of the people on here have killer collections that if "unearthed" would be worthy of being noted as great collections. I get they may have only passed through one person's hands but to me, a 9.0 from an original owner is as good as a 9.0 that has travelled.

But that is just me:)

Although, I am curious why CGC would not recognize it? What did CBCS need to verify it came from such pedigree? Or were they associated with its finding so they needed no verification? If someone wants to PM me an answer rather than me de-railing the original post that would be preferred. 

1 hour ago, comicginger1789 said:

Although, I am curious why CGC would not recognize it? What did CBCS need to verify it came from such pedigree? Or were they associated with its finding so they needed no verification? If someone wants to PM me an answer rather than me de-railing the original post that would be preferred. 

CGC doesn't have it listed as one of its pedigree options. Here's a little more info on it: https://www.comicconnect.com/load_page.php?page=2016_PennDutchCollection

"From the Collection" won't be counted unless you have COA.  I submitted five crossovers and got them back with one grade was up, two unchanged grades and two grades were down by one grade.  Probably your book would be 8.5/9.0. It depends on how much you spent on this book before submitting the book to CGC. If it goes down, you may lose more money. It's your call.

Grading notes fyi:

“light edge & corner wear & creasing some breaks color
light tanning along spine & bottom edge back cover & interior cover
manufactured with very thin color loss part of bottom front cover
manufactured with very thin color loss part of bottom front cover”

On 6/1/2019 at 9:13 PM, Supa-Bad-Mofo said:

I wouldn't ruin a high grade classic like that by adding a signature. (tsk) I cry a tear for every "other than modern" book with a sig....especially keys...:cry::frown::(

I've said it before and I'll say it again...history will not look kindly on all of these books that have been mutilated with signatures on the cover...(tsk)  

If you want a signature on a book there's plenty of white space at the bottom of the first page.  

On 6/1/2019 at 7:13 PM, Supa-Bad-Mofo said:

I wouldn't ruin a high grade classic like that by adding a signature. (tsk) I cry a tear for every "other than modern" book with a sig....especially keys...:cry::frown::(

I'm not a fan of SS. I don't really care for autographs and I don't like paying extra for it.

my .02

JL

Lower grade (likely) doesn't offset the SS for this particular specimen IMO.

It's a real nice looking book as-is IMO.

My only copy i ever had was a 2.0 so to me, that looks real nice.

YMMV