• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Stephen King's SALEM'S LOT (TBD)
1 1

16 posts in this topic

Earlier this year, it was confirmed that The Conjuring director James Wan would be developing a new adaptation of Stephen King's Salem's Lot, which would be written by Gary Dauberman. The story was adapted into a TV movie from Texas Chain Saw Massacre director Tobe Hooper in 1979 and into a miniseries in 2004. Following in the footsteps of projects like 2017's IT and this year's Pet Sematary, it seems as though the source material still has the potential to get a bigger budgeted production to do it justice. Daubermen recently teased what audiences could expect from the upcoming adaptation.

"I did have a unique way into it but again, I think the book in itself is unique," Dauberman shared with /Film. "Certainly now, I haven’t seen a scary vampire movie in a long, long time and I’d really love to tackle that. It’s one of my favorite books. It’s one of my favorite Stephen King books. We felt it should have the cinematic treatment that we gave It. It was a miniseries as well. The experience of bringing that to the big screen was such a joy that I was so happy we will have the opportunity to do that for Salem’s Lot."

The novel follows a writer who grew up in Jerusalem's Lot, only to move back home and discover that his small community has been overtaken by vampires.

King previously teased that this likely won't be the last time one of his stories that has already earned an adaptation would be developed for a new production.

"I don’t know what to make of it, really. Every day I get another contract, another option, word that somebody is making this or that," King shared with Entertainment Weekly when speaking about how frequently his works are adapted. "I see scripts. Let’s put it this way, I’m in a seller’s market right now. There’s a huge hunger for story, because there’s so many different platforms now. It isn’t just the movies."

The author noted that it was the success of IT, which had previously been adapted into a miniseries in 1990, that inspired filmmakers to look back through his many stories to see if something that has already been adapted could be brought to life in a new way.

"What happened to me, I guess, was that It was such a big success that people decided well, there must be gold in some of that old sh—," the author joked. "A lot of the old stuff, maybe, is gonna get remade. And there’s also an issue with some of the old option deals expiring, and the studios either make them or don’t make them, and they have to hurry up. I think that was a factor in The Stand, with CBS All Access. If Warner Bros. wanted to be involved, they had to do it quick, or [the rights] were gonna be all mine again."

:whee:

Salem’s Lot reboot to star Top Gun: Maverick’s Lewis Pullman

The Stephen King adaptations just keep coming. One of the many projects in development is a feature film adaptation of King’s Salem’s Lot, and THR has reported that New Line Cinema has tapped Lewis Pullman to star.

Lewis Pullman, son of Bill Pullman, will star as Ben Mears, a writer who returns to his hometown of Jerusalem’s Lot in search of inspiration for his next book. Once there, he discovers that the residents are being preyed upon by an ancient vampire and turned into creatures of the night. Banding together with a ragtag group, Ben Mears attempts to fight back against the evil presence. Pullman is no stranger to the big screen, but the Salem’s Lot reboot will be his biggest role to date. He’s previously appeared in The Ballad of Left Brown, The Strangers: Prey at Night, Bad Times at the El Royale, Catch-22, and will next be seen alongside Tom Cruise in Top Gun: Maverick.

The Salem’s Lot reboot will be written and directed by Gary Dauberman, and production is expected to kick off next month in Boston. 

I really hope they do Justice to the original book...

HUBERT BARCLAY MARSTEN
October 6, 1889
August 12, 1939

The angel of Death who holdeth

The bronze Lamp beyond the golden door

Hath taken thee into dark Waters

God Grant He Lie Still

I love the Salems Lot canon 

The lair of the white worm was an excellent novella. Can't remember the title or compilation it was part of, but I believe it was the first story in the compilation. They could do a movie just based on that story and make a trilogy leading to the 70s Salems Lot

On 8/29/2021 at 10:26 AM, Dr. Dank said:

I love the Salems Lot canon 

The lair of the white worm was an excellent novella. Can't remember the title or compilation it was part of, but I believe it was the first story in the compilation. They could do a movie just based on that story and make a trilogy leading to the 70s Salems Lot

I thought Lair of the White Worm was by Bram Stoker.

EXCLUSIVE: New Line’s feature adaptation of Stephen King’s 1975 bestseller Salem’s Lot is expanding its cast with The Assistant actress Makenzie Leigh, Primetime Emmy nominee Bill Camp and Spencer Treat Clark who’ll star opposite of previously announced Lewis Pullman.

In Salem’s Lot, author Ben Mears (Pullman) returns to his childhood home of Jerusalem’s Lot in search of inspiration for his next book only to discover his hometown is being preyed upon by a bloodthirsty vampire. Leigh will play Susan Norton, Camp is Matthew Burke and Clark is Mike Ryerson.

In the book, Susan Norton is a resident of Jerusalem’s Lot, Maine. Ben and her eventually fall in love, and she has a knowledge of the vampires in town. Matt Burke is a former high school English teacher who knows about the Marten’s House evil past and helps out Ben. Mike Ryerson is one of the town’s simple folk and becomes a victim to the events at hand.

Warner Bros. debuted the first footage from its adaptation of Salem's Lot at this year's CinemaCon event taking place in Las Vegas. Screen Rant was on hand to watch the trailer, which offers an eerie first look at the upcoming horror movie. Check out the full footage description below:

"Moody shot of forest. Group of men looking for a missing person. He's not the first boy to go missing. Then we see a man digging up a grave. Suddenly a pounding from inside the casket. He looks down the hole and then a small vampire child runs up behind him and bites him. The shots of the vampires, they look very pale and have weird glowing eyes. Slowly the town turns until there's vampires everywhere. The man runs into the street and the town is deserted. Someone calls his name to warn him and he looks back in the direction he came from. Then the camera pans back and we see the street and building's lined with glowing eyes vampires."

Stephen King tweets his 'Salem's Lot' remake review

The project has been sitting on the Warner Bros. shelves for a while, but based on King's recent review, we're hoping it sees the light of day soon.

The horror master — who isn't always favourable when he reviews adaptations of his work — took to Twitter/X recently to praise the remake, describing it as "muscular and involving".