• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Trimmed action comics 252????

10 posts in this topic

Hi. 

Sorry for the post but I would love to get some experts opinions on this action comics 252 I have. I wouldn’t say I’m a novice but I’m def not an Uber expert. I’ve seen quite a bit in my time but this one gives me a little trepidation. 

The main concern and reason i suspect there may be trimming is due to how much of the page you see to the right of the cover. Never seen so much before which makes me fear the cover was trimmed. 

I did do some research on this before posting and here’s some of the conclusions I noticed

1. The cover art seems to show the same or more than many other graded action comics 252. 

2. The cover seems to be starting to get loose from the staples which may explain why the cover is pulling to the left of the pages. 

I dont think it’s trimmed but was hoping some others may have experiences covers that had so much of the page sticking out before. 

Thanks in advance. 

FA1882CF-E8BF-40DD-8D42-ED4F44EF033B.jpeg

AF9735AF-8BCA-4202-90C4-2019A6C830B9.jpeg

5C0C84D2-3C04-4616-B2BA-F264BBBD011D.jpeg

967CA9D1-19C9-47AB-95F4-29F5921F3955.jpeg

With any book, doing a complete check of the cover and pages is a must. Anytime you find one form of resto, you should immediately be on the lookout for other types as well.

Trimming can be one of the more difficult things to detect. As a friend of mine used to say: "All books are trimmed, it just depends on how and when it was done." One of things I'd examine is the very edge of the cover you suspect as being trimmed. Does the cut on the right edge appear uneven or irregular? Do the miniscule chips or tears on the edge of the cover match the miniscule defects on the edges of the pages? If you have access to a loupe or powerful magnifying glass, does the thin edge of the cover look newer than it should? Does the left edge of the back cover have a corresponding overlap due to what could be just a slight shift of the cover? These are all things I'd want answers to before I made a definite determination. Follow the clues, my friend...follow the clues...

Edited by The Lions Den

2 hours ago, The Lions Den said:

With any book, doing a complete check of the cover and pages is a must. Anytime you find one form of resto, you should immediately be on the lookout for other types as well.

Trimming can be one of the more difficult things to detect. As a friend of mine used to say: "All books are trimmed, it just depends on how and when it was done." One of things I'd examine is the very edge of the cover you suspect as being trimmed. Does the cut on the right edge appear uneven or irregular? Do the miniscule chips or tears on the edge of the cover match the miniscule defects on the edges of the pages? If you have access to a loupe or powerful magnifying glass, does the thin edge of the cover look newer than it should? Does the left edge of the back cover have a corresponding overlap due to what could be just a slight shift of the cover? These are all things I'd want answers to before I made a definite determination. Follow the clues, my friend...follow the clues...

Well I did do a page count and check for color touch and no issues there. Really just the cover which seems ok in every area except for how much of the page is showing which feels very excessive. 

Thanks for the other info will def look into it 

2 minutes ago, Rezin1234 said:

Well I did do a page count and check for color touch and no issues there. Really just the cover which seems ok in every area except for how much of the page is showing which feels very excessive. 

Thanks for the other info will def look into it 

You're welcome. Good job on the page count and color touch check. One other thing I noticed was the possibility of glue on the spine due to the wear and tear there. Dried glue usually feels rough to the touch. Also, I'd be taking a real close look at that small crease on the top left of the back cover...

Will do 

32 minutes ago, The Lions Den said:

You're welcome. Good job on the page count and color touch check. One other thing I noticed was the possibility of glue on the spine due to the wear and tear there. Dried glue usually feels rough to the touch. Also, I'd be taking a real close look at that small crease on the top left of the back cover...

I’ll double check again today. Thanks for the tips. 

On ‎5‎/‎31‎/‎2019 at 10:59 PM, Rezin1234 said:

Hi. 

Sorry for the post but I would love to get some experts opinions on this action comics 252 I have. I wouldn’t say I’m a novice but I’m def not an Uber expert. I’ve seen quite a bit in my time but this one gives me a little trepidation. 

The main concern and reason i suspect there may be trimming is due to how much of the page you see to the right of the cover. Never seen so much before which makes me fear the cover was trimmed. 

I did do some research on this before posting and here’s some of the conclusions I noticed

1. The cover art seems to show the same or more than many other graded action comics 252. 

2. The cover seems to be starting to get loose from the staples which may explain why the cover is pulling to the left of the pages. 

I dont think it’s trimmed but was hoping some others may have experiences covers that had so much of the page sticking out before. 

Thanks in advance. 

FA1882CF-E8BF-40DD-8D42-ED4F44EF033B.jpeg

AF9735AF-8BCA-4202-90C4-2019A6C830B9.jpeg

5C0C84D2-3C04-4616-B2BA-F264BBBD011D.jpeg

967CA9D1-19C9-47AB-95F4-29F5921F3955.jpeg

Just saw the thread.

It's not color touched and it's not trimmed. The cover's edge and the page ends are as normally manufactured. The more than average right edge page protrusion is due to the pages not being held tightly to the cover by the staples.

Edited by James J Johnson

On 6/1/2019 at 2:20 PM, Rezin1234 said:

Will do 

I’ll double check again today. Thanks for the tips. 

Never assume a book is unrestored until you do a restoration check with the book in hand. And even experts will occasionally miss things, too...

Possible the right edge is in better shape as it was shifted a long time ago and not exposed.  But there was a time when it was exposed and on a book with that much wear it’s suspect at Best.  I’d also want to see a picture of the inside edge of the free edge front cover