• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

August HA Auction
1 1

502 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, PhilipB2k17 said:

Jeez. How many people owned that Captain Marvel splash? 

I know of at least two more as I saw it effectively change hands from Bechara to a collector at the NJ Art Con about 3-5 years ago (they actually finalized the deal sometime after the show).,  I believe that collector was then the consignor to Comic Link (IIRC) . 

1 hour ago, Ironmandrd said:

I know of at least two more as I saw it effectively change hands from Bechara to a collector at the NJ Art Con about 3-5 years ago (they actually finalized the deal sometime after the show).,  I believe that collector was then the consignor to Comic Link (IIRC) . 

And I didn't sell it to Bechara....

This will get alot of interest  John Byrne and George Perez X-Men Portfolio Plate 7 Wolverine Original Art (Editions Deesse, 1993)

No scan yet.

https://comics.ha.com/itm/original-comic-art/john-byrne-and-george-perez-x-men-portfolio-plate-7-wolverine-original-art-editions-deesse-1993-/p/7211-149004.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515

1 hour ago, Brian Peck said:

This will get alot of interest  John Byrne and George Perez X-Men Portfolio Plate 7 Wolverine Original Art (Editions Deesse, 1993)

No scan yet.

https://comics.ha.com/itm/original-comic-art/john-byrne-and-george-perez-x-men-portfolio-plate-7-wolverine-original-art-editions-deesse-1993-/p/7211-149004.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515

That's this image, right? 

s-l1600-12.jpg.3d45a7ea0ba189679416e0033f165595.jpg

That's the all Byrne art that was used in the portfolio. What you're looking for is the Byrne/Perez version. Same image but with Perez inks. 

Edited by Shemp

5 minutes ago, Shemp said:

That's the all Byrne art that was used in the portfolio. What you're looking for is the Byrne/Perez version. Same image but with Perez inks. 

Do you remember the story behind Perez inking the Byrne pencils in 2003?

The portfolio image is listed as all pencil and all Byrne and done in 1993. Heritage mentions it being inked by Perez in 2003. 

Was that for a new publication or something? I may have heard the answer before but I can't remember. 

In greater detail. 

The all Byrne pieces were published in portfolio, 6 plates, pencil and ink by Byrne. Later as a special edition, a seventh plate was added using of the prelims as the seventh plate. The prelims were returned to Byrne years later and were purchased by two collectors. The two collectors looked to commission Terry Austin to ink the prelims but he was not interested. They then looked to commission George Perez to ink the prelims and he did. The Byrne/Perez pieces were never published in any way. 

I think that's the story. 

Edited by Shemp

Jim Starlin DC Comics Presents #26 Cover Superman and Green Lantern Original Art, with Color Separations and Comic 

dc.jpg.ad5a130e72d82def65da89d955e9f1b1.jpg

To bad most of its all stats except for the background image. Wonder where the original art for Superman And Green Lantern

https://comics.ha.com/itm/original-comic-art/covers/jim-starlin-dc-comics-presents/p/7211-71011.s?ic2=mytracked-lotspage-lotlinks-12202013&tab=MyTrackedLots-101116

Defenders 9 cover coming up....Predictions? It is possibly one of the top three covers by Sal Buscema, major storyline (Avengers vs Defenders cross-over) and it features four very popular MCU characters.  I would say 60k?

Carlo M

5 hours ago, Carlo M said:

Defenders 9 cover coming up....Predictions? It is possibly one of the top three covers by Sal Buscema, major storyline (Avengers vs Defenders cross-over) and it features four very popular MCU characters.  I would say 60k?

Carlo M

I will guess $36K. $60K for that cover sounds absolutely :censored: insane to me. 

2 hours ago, Carlo M said:

Defenders 10 (Romita on vellum) was 78k, Avengers 118 (Wilson and Romita on vellum) was 66k, I would have thought Defenders 9 would not be too much lower, especially if not on vellum.

Carlo 

Defenders 10 is THE issue from that run. Vellum seems to carry a stigma with some collectors but it's lifespan is at least double that of Bristol. 

That said, I fall between you and Gene on this one. 

And now there is also Cap 137 cover coming up.  There are not many Sal Buscema Bronze Age covers, at least compared to how many books he drew.  Funny that two of the best ones are coming up in the same auction.  It will be interesting to see how they fare price-wise compared to one another.

20 hours ago, Carlo M said:

Defenders 10 (Romita on vellum) was 78k, Avengers 118 (Wilson and Romita on vellum) was 66k, I would have thought Defenders 9 would not be too much lower, especially if not on vellum.

Carlo 

I don't know why anyone would pay up for this cover when a good number of *actual* Avengers covers from the '70s have been  selling for less than my $36K guess for this cover. I also think the market has cooled off a bit over the past year or so for BA Avengers; there was a period of time when any BA Avengers cover or good panel page would surprise to the upside, but, that is no longer the case. 

I agree with Chris that Defenders 10 is in a category of its own (it's not only THE cover from the run, but, it's Romita Sr. I don't think it's a good comp at all for this one). 

I'm admittedly not a big Sal B fan, but, I know he's done some good work, and I'm confident I could find far more than just 2 or 3 other covers he did that I would rather have. Yeah, it's got Hawkeye and Iron Man on it, along with the Defenders, but, it basically just looks like a random generic Bronze Marvel cover to me. :fear:

Edited by delekkerste

16 minutes ago, delekkerste said:

I don't know why anyone would pay up for this cover when a good number of *actual* Avengers covers from the '70s have been  selling for less than my $36K guess for this cover. I also think the market has cooled off a bit over the past year or so for BA Avengers; there was a period of time when any BA Avengers cover or good panel page would surprise to the upside, but, that is no longer the case. 

I agree with Chris that Defenders 10 is in a category of its own (it's not only THE cover from the run, but, it's Romita Sr.. I don't think it's a good comp at all for this one. 

I'm admittedly not a big Sal B fan, but, I know he's done some good work, and I'm confident I could find far more than just 2 or 3 other covers he did that I would rather have. 

Yeah, the Spec Spidey #1 cover immediately comes to mind, but I’m not certain I’d pony up $60K for it