• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

August HA Auction
1 1

502 posts in this topic

On 7/4/2019 at 12:10 PM, Brian Peck said:

You are completely wrong, John Buscema is one of the best comic book artist ever!!! John could draw almost anything, while he wasn't a big fan of superhero and team books his story telling was fantastic. Just look at the number of artists he had influenced. Many artist would disagree with you concerning John Buscema.

Once again, I want to emphasize that I don't dislike John Buscema.  

He's perfectly adequate.

On 7/4/2019 at 2:21 PM, MYNAMEISLEGION said:
On 6/30/2019 at 10:04 PM, tth2 said:

The way I would've answered the question if you'd asked me about JB:

He was incredibly consistently bland throughout his entire run.  All of the covers of the earlier, middle and later part of his run are bland, and the interior art was also always bland in my opinion.  In fact, I'd say that the best way to describe his work throughout his career is "bland".

:baiting:

Put down the crack pipe, your'e clearly high.

He's perfectly adequate.

16 hours ago, Taylor G said:

Now, John, who was a very good draughtsman, was the most feted penciler that comics had seen at that time. But for a man to have that kind of talent, that capacity to draw, or to cartoon, and yet have no intellectual basis and seemingly put nothing into those stories that you can come away with smiling … That to me was always the most bizarre anomaly, you know?

So in the case of John Buscema, he could certainly draw the human figure finer than Jack Kirby but there was just no valid intensity to what he was doing. It was just pap. ....  Buscema has been turning out comic books for 30 or more years ... Why didn’t he make them art? Look at his work, even the Silver Surfer books that were among his most facile and pretty, and you won’t find art; you’ll find a journeyman talent wasted on a field that prefers his kind to my kind.

If ever anybody was confused — and I know a lot of people are — about the difference between art and craft, and that they do not go together like strawberries and cream, if anybody can really grasp what we’re saying here, that is, the difference between Kirby and Buscema, there’s your bloody fat dividing line. I mean, it’s a seven-lane highway, right between the two! The difference between art and craft. 

Wow.  Barry put it so much more eloquently than me, although I don't agree with his opinion of McCartney.

A better analogy would be Neal Schon, who had so much talent playing the guitar but chose to fritter it away playing safe MOR AOR with Journey.

I have pondered on BWS comments on Big John and on artists needing a "vision".  Thank you very much for the link.

Even though BWS admitted vision was a concept not so easily defined, I think we all somehow "get it".

Going back to a post I made a few weeks ago on this very same topic, I really do believe John Buscema circa 1968 had a vision.  Look at the two examples below.  I consciously refrained from quoting the obivious SS 4 cover or Avengers 57 cover.  But still, looking at these two splashes, I do see art coming through.  And if Kirby's vision was energy and fantasy and invention and the ability to imagine fantastic new worlds, Buscema's "vision" circa 1968 was IMHO to show the conflict, the torment of being a hero and yet confined by humanity, and showing how either an alien in cold space or an android in relentless rain can still find humanity.  That was what Buscema's perfect and yet contorted anatomy circa 1968 was expressing.  And that is voision and art, IMHO.

PS - apologies for the poor scans but they should be enough to make my point.untitled.thumb.png.acb31f4cd21d1ad1ebafc6a1bd0b823c.png1536511037_untitled1.thumb.png.1007bcd124632ebe9d4bdafea98cae23.png

untitled.png

12 hours ago, Bronty said:

we sure get in some ridiculous debates around here lol

It's a comic message board.  It's exactly the kind of stuff we're supposed to be debating!

17 hours ago, tth2 said:

He's perfectly adequate.

I think that's called damning with faint praise.

(you're wrong btw - Buscema is awesome ! :baiting:)

9 hours ago, tth2 said:

It's a comic message board.  It's exactly the kind of stuff we're supposed to be debating!

Oh, I thought it was the video game board. How could I have gotten that wrong?!

1 hour ago, delekkerste said:

No, no, it's the Magic: The Gathering board, and occasionally the Boris Vallejo board!

Don’t make me start posting Borises!