• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

August HA Auction
1 1

502 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, stinkininkin said:

Gonna respectfully disagree with you on the Conan cover, and with similar respect to the new owner and noting my opinion is subjective, but I kinda hate that cover.  It's a big Conan and all action-y, but where I defend BWS Conan from the Brian Pecks of the world:baiting:lol  the drawing on this one is so atrocious I have no words.  Conan specifically is so malformed, the perspective so off, it's always been at or near dead last on my list.  I'd MUCH rather have paid the the 18k for that very cool half page Conan #2 house ad :headbang:than this cover monstrosity (yeah, I really hate this cover)!  :sick:  So 90k for THIS Conan cover????  Just bonkers.

Like all things, your mileage may vary. 

We AGREE!!!!!!!

26 minutes ago, delekkerste said:

While I would of course expect Kirby, for example, to remain popular, I'll bet right now that his art is at least relatively in less demand in the coming years/decades - as I was telling Glen B at SDCC, all the artists that friends/acquaintances in the hobby ask me to look out for break down very much along generational lines, and, since most of my friends in the hobby are very early 50s or younger, guess what - nobody is really a Kirby collector. We may all have a Kirby example or three, but, it's generally Byrne, Adams, Miller, Perez...really nothing older than J. Buscema for the most part. And if you ask people even just, say, 4-6 years younger, it's some of the above artists plus Lee, McFarlane, Mignola, Silvestri, etc. 

Playing Devil's Advocate here: it could also be that your specific example points to what certain folks of a certain age think is most competitive (from themselves but also their cohort), get it first before it's gone vs. how do I see my collection rounding out over the next five years. That doesn't mean nobody (or "less") want any of it (Kirby let's say, or any other category type artist), just that there's a priority to the list, especially for Torpedo/SDCon where people know fresh to market is more likely to appear.

Example: I have $25k to spend and you show me two fairly priced pieces I've never seen offered before a 'nice' Kirby (of which there are many) or a spectacular Mike Zeck (very few)...I'm taking the Zeck because I know of three other people that are right behind me that I need to beat! The Kirby, and any other number of similars...will be there for another day, same money, but at my leisure.

2 hours ago, zhamlau said:

I’ve always said, Sal is a top 5 comic artist of all time. Flawless passionate work for 6 decades, always staying relevant always giving his best (which was elite). 

When you are one of the best, and you stay their longer than anyone in history, you gain fans. Two of his threw down and wanted to lay claim to some of his best work. Nothing shocking about that.

What I've learned from this thread...is that what we should all want from life is to...

3720hn.jpg.72fccdfef9f167fbe2fda96356c6bec2.jpg

1 hour ago, vodou said:

Playing Devil's Advocate here: it could also be that your specific example points to what certain folks of a certain age think is most competitive (from themselves but also their cohort), get it first before it's gone vs. how do I see my collection rounding out over the next five years. That doesn't mean nobody (or "less") want any of it (Kirby let's say, or any other category type artist), just that there's a priority to the list, especially for Torpedo/SDCon where people know fresh to market is more likely to appear.

Example: I have $25k to spend and you show me two fairly priced pieces I've never seen offered before a 'nice' Kirby (of which there are many) or a spectacular Mike Zeck (very few)...I'm taking the Zeck because I know of three other people that are right behind me that I need to beat! The Kirby, and any other number of similars...will be there for another day, same money, but at my leisure.

Yeah, that's not it, but, thank you for playing. :foryou:

4 hours ago, delekkerste said:
5 hours ago, zhamlau said:

I’ve always said, Sal is a top 5 comic artist of all time

:whatthe: :whatthe: :whatthe:

He worked at the highest level producing main stream books for 6 decades. He wasn’t being kept around for nostalgia purposes, he was just a really great artist who could pencil and ink in an ever evolving style for 50 years. People from their mid 60s to late teens have seen and liked a book that came out on the shelves in their youth, that he either pencilled or inked

....think about that...

Think of it like baseball. He basically was a .301 hitter who hit 25 HR with 90 runs and RBI’s a year. Pretty good right?  Now imagine that same stat line projected out year after year for 25 years? That would be first ballot hall of fame unanimous vote time. 

That was who he was. He was the David Bowie of Comic artists, The Gordie Howe (maybe not the heights but the longevity and overall consistent great performance). Always working, always changing, always staying relevant, always connecting with the next generation of fans. 

No one is even in the discussion when it comes to longevity and overall high standard of quality.

He could draw as well as anyone, he was equally skilled and pencilling and inking, he worked on merit alone twice as long as nearly anyone else not named Kirby, and he did it quickly with a sense of professionalism. To me, that’s top 5. 

Did they?  Or did they just want an early defenders cover with all the characters and captain America cover with a big Spider-Man image?   No way to know, but my take on the Buscema and heck prices were that they were part of a greater trend of the specific artist mattering less and the content mattering more.    Now every artist has his fans and you like Sal and that’s great.   As you say there’s a lot to be said for Longevity.    But I do see people analyzing content a lot more when they buy as opposed to just buying anything they can by a certain artist.

On 7/29/2019 at 12:53 PM, Ironmandrd said:

There seem to be some differences in condition of the Kirby Thing pin-up from the pic someone posted of it at SDCC and the pic in the auction--eg creases not shown in the auction

That was me...I took the pic at an angle and you can see HA prettied it up in the catalog vs the true condition. I still love it as one of a kind is my number one motivator.IMG_1379.jpg.a60c4708a37d7495d20ad1bc655dbb5b.jpg

10 hours ago, zhamlau said:

He worked at the highest level producing main stream books for 6 decades. He wasn’t being kept around for nostalgia purposes, he was just a really great artist who could pencil and ink in an ever evolving style for 50 years. People from their mid 60s to late teens have seen and liked a book that came out on the shelves in their youth, that he either pencilled or inked

....think about that...

Think of it like baseball. He basically was a .301 hitter who hit 25 HR with 90 runs and RBI’s a year. Pretty good right?  Now imagine that same stat line projected out year after year for 25 years? That would be first ballot hall of fame unanimous vote time. 

That was who he was. He was the David Bowie of Comic artists, The Gordie Howe (maybe not the heights but the longevity and overall consistent great performance). Always working, always changing, always staying relevant, always connecting with the next generation of fans. 

No one is even in the discussion when it comes to longevity and overall high standard of quality.

He could draw as well as anyone, he was equally skilled and pencilling and inking, he worked on merit alone twice as long as nearly anyone else not named Kirby, and he did it quickly with a sense of professionalism. To me, that’s top 5. 

Just to be clear, we're still talking about Sal Buscema, right?   :insane:

Edited by Bronty

20 hours ago, batman_fan said:
21 hours ago, Bronty said:

Frazetta still going, speaking of not so great examples

edit 264k

That one shocked the heck out of me.  One of his weakest pieces IMHO

If I weren't told it was a Frazetta, I'd never guess it was a Frazetta.

33 minutes ago, tth2 said:

If I weren't told it was a Frazetta, I'd never guess it was a Frazetta.

I apologize to whoever won it but it is a really crappy image in my opinion. The one that was listed in the previous auction was 1000x nicer for a similar price. 

1 hour ago, Bronty said:

Just to be clear, we're still talking about Sal Buscema, right?   :insane:

Yep, I’m just getting past the “oh it’s only Sal Buscema” bias and actually looking at the work and history.

I have enjoyed Sal's work. Top 5? I'm thinking of all the artists I would have to leave out of the top 5 to put Sal in there. Anyone have a top 5 with Sal in it? Who did you leave outside the top 5?