• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

August HA Auction
1 1

502 posts in this topic

Just now, glendgold said:

Sorry, if you're on the boards, and you collect comic book artwork, there's no way you had a good childhood. It's just science, is all. :headbang:

Someday I'll have you narrate just how bad mine was  #dreambig

I never hated the PP strips (without Marcie). They often had this theme of unrequited love that she had for Charlie, but at the same time not knowing how to do anything about it.

She was the only character to have an actually hard life. She wasn’t very bright, felt she wasn’t very pretty, but she wanted to be. If you remember she lived with just her dad in another part of town that you got the impression wasn’t as nice. 

She is a very misunderstood character I think. Insanely loyal and loving of her friends, wanting to be loved by Charlie, and always faced with failures outside of the venue of sports.

Marcie sorta bogged her down, but when she was on her own or especially with Charlie Brown she was a very likable character.

9 hours ago, tth2 said:

What I mean is, excluding his WM work, where does he rank among other artists in terms of demand for his work?  Top 50? Top 100?

What does demand for his mean? Gibbons is an example of a pure nostalgia driven artist in terms of popularity. Most people seem to just want Watchmen for teh nostalgia, part of it also is with the writing of the series. You can say that about alot of other artists. Dave Cockrum's X-Men commands crazy money but his non-Uncanny X-Men is alot less, same wit Byrne/Austin to a lesser degree. Uncanny X-Men art by them is crazy popular and expensive but his Hidden Years with some of the same characters isn't. Its more nostalgia driven.

4 hours ago, zhamlau said:

I never hated the PP strips (without Marcie). They often had this theme of unrequited love that she had for Charlie, but at the same time not knowing how to do anything about it.

She was the only character to have an actually hard life. She wasn’t very bright, felt she wasn’t very pretty, but she wanted to be. If you remember she lived with just her dad in another part of town that you got the impression wasn’t as nice. 

She is a very misunderstood character I think. Insanely loyal and loving of her friends, wanting to be loved by Charlie, and always faced with failures outside of the venue of sports.

Marcie sorta bogged her down, but when she was on her own or especially with Charlie Brown she was a very likable character.

I agree, but her and marcie together were ruff!

On 8/6/2019 at 10:24 AM, grapeape said:

Sometimes pulling punches really means keeping one’s hands in pocket while the other fellas alive to do something about it.

So you're saying I'm too p*u*s*s*y to dis Jim Mooney to his woulda-been 100-year-old face? But then how to explain me going after Sal Buscema, who's a spry 83? You're saying Sal's too chicken to come out here and beat my a*s*s? Man, Grape, I thought I was harsh with Sal, but I draw the line at challenging his manhood.

Edited by drdroom
fix profanity

Major trigger warning, I am serious folks, I am about to post an image that is beyond horrific.  If you have a weak stomach, please do not scroll down. :sick:

I present two of the most horrific artist known to man, Sal Buscema and Ross Andru.  I tried to give these away to a blind person but when I told them who drew the pieces he tried to punch me (thank god he was blind).  I decided my only option was to frame them and hang them on my wall.

SubmarinerSplashesFramed.jpg

21 minutes ago, Bronty said:

I like Ross Andru lol

I actually like a lot of his work.  Some of his anatomy is wanky but overall I liked him.  Again, it is all a personal preference.  The Ross Andru was a long hard battle for me to acquire.  It auction on HA and I couldn't spend money at the time so had to pass.  Fast forward a few years and it auctioned on CLINK.  I got stuck in traffic on my way home and missed bidding.  The person who bought it posted on the boards and I said "if you ever want to let it go, let me know". He effectually let me know and I finally bought it.

2 hours ago, batman_fan said:

Major trigger warning, I am serious folks, I am about to post an image that is beyond horrific.  If you have a weak stomach, please do not scroll down. :sick:

I present two of the most horrific artist known to man, Sal Buscema and Ross Andru.  I tried to give these away to a blind person but when I told them who drew the pieces he tried to punch me (thank god he was blind).  I decided my only option was to frame them and hang them on my wall.

SubmarinerSplashesFramed.jpg

You are a cruel man, torturing us with the average like that....

2 hours ago, batman_fan said:

I actually like a lot of his work.  Some of his anatomy is wanky but overall I liked him.  Again, it is all a personal preference.  The Ross Andru was a long hard battle for me to acquire.  It auction on HA and I couldn't spend money at the time so had to pass.  Fast forward a few years and it auctioned on CLINK.  I got stuck in traffic on my way home and missed bidding.  The person who bought it posted on the boards and I said "if you ever want to let it go, let me know". He effectually let me know and I finally bought it.

Wait, this actually worked one time. Stop the presses.

16 hours ago, Bronty said:

Those were the ones.... PP and Marcie strips for like 10 years between.. 85 and 95?

Did Marcie ever appear in a strip by herself?  I only remember her with Peppermint Pattie.  Thus Marcie is only a sub-group of the Suck-fest that was Peppermint Pattie.

8 hours ago, batman_fan said:

I present two of the most horrific artist known to man, Sal Buscema and Ross Andru.  I tried to give these away to a blind person but when I told them who drew the pieces he tried to punch me (thank god he was blind).  

lol

This thread is a laugh-fest today! 

9 hours ago, Bronty said:

I like Ross Andru lol

In fairness, it depends upon what he was drawing. He did an issue of Brave and the Bold with Batman and the Phantom Stranger in it, and frankly, the pages I have seen for sale have been pretty pedestrian.

Same with other artists. If the subject matter is little better than an old fashioned 6 panel, I think it takes exceptional ability to make it excellent (which is a reason I love creative border work).  I don't count illustrative skill within a panel as adequate to compensate for a dull overall look.