• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

August HA Auction
1 1

502 posts in this topic

5 minutes ago, batman_fan said:

That one shocked the heck out of me.  One of his weakest pieces IMHO.

A nice Heck (but Heck), a couple Sal Buscemas, a weaker IMO barks, and a weak frazetta, all 96-264k.    Yeesh.

1 hour ago, Bronty said:

defenders 9 102k

The Cap #137 at $96k by Sal B may be the even crazier result.  And what about that Heck Avengers splash for $96k?  That'; more than Heck Avengers covers have sold for in the past and way more than any previous Heck Avengers splash.

7 minutes ago, delekkerste said:

No, they're out of touch and we're all still sane.  

Since you're the captain of the BWS Conan Trendspotting Club, what did you think of the #11 cover result?   Seemed strong?  Hasn't it been for sale for a long time with no takers?

1 minute ago, Bronty said:

Since you're the captain of the BWS Conan Trendspotting Club, what did you think of the #11 cover result?   Seemed strong?  Hasn't it been for sale for a long time with no takers?

Gene may know better but I don't believe this cover made the rounds.

15 minutes ago, Bronty said:

Very glad to see that this one did not sell for just $60-$65K, because it is one of the best of the earlier covers, if not the best, a sentiment shared by the consignor (David Mandel; I think people know it was his as it was on his CAF for years) 

I think $90K is a good price in light of the weakening sales trend in recent years. Though, it's probably only flat to slightly higher than where it would have been 5 years ago - anyone thinking that this result somehow invalidates the overwhelming evidence we've seen that the BWS Conan market peaked about 5 years ago is kidding themselves. The best pieces will still fetch $$$, but, probably not more than where they were 5 years ago when adjusted for inflation, and most examples below that level are flat to down even before adjusting for inflation. 

32 minutes ago, Bronty said:

TMNT 1 at 90k is a jaw dropper.   previous record was 40.

Crazy-town...there are 25 9.8's, and two sold last year for far less than 1/2 this result. 

Where did the $40k copy sell? GPA has a high of $38k. 

Anything special about this copy in particular? Are there any market factors that would lead at least two bidders to set this kind of a record? 

18 minutes ago, comix4fun said:

Crazy-town...there are 25 9.8's, and two sold last year for far less than 1/2 this result. 

Where did the $40k copy sell? GPA has a high of $38k. 

Anything special about this copy in particular? Are there any market factors that would lead at least two bidders to set this kind of a record? 

40 is just a round number and probably the same as the 38

no market factors I know of beyond a very strong sale of a turtlemania gold  (around 50-60k IIRC for a rare variant of a meaningless book).     There's another 9.8 coming up in the next sale.

Just now, Bronty said:

40 is just a round number and probably the same as the 38

Ah ok, I just didn't know if there was a third sale comp. above 35k.