• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

August HA Auction
1 1

502 posts in this topic

I admire the tenacity of Zhamlau in defending his unpopular (not to say bonkers) Top Five placement of Sal B. The originality of this idea has provoked me to rethink all my assumptions & biases and imagine an alternate reality in which the bland & reliable utility player is held in the highest esteem. Who else would logically be in a Top Five that includes Sal? Here's my tentative Earth-B Top Five, which is open to revision:

Sal Buscema

José Garcia-Lopez

Bob Brown

Al Plastino

Paul Norris

3 hours ago, Ricksneatstuff said:

I received an email regarding the Peanuts Sunday final hammer discrepancy that explains the situation and was told I was free to share. @batman_fan @spider9698

F1E2F5E3-4D31-4A86-9ABA-1C6D6952C9C4.jpeg

I think the seller got screwed.  There would have been more bidding.  I was also watching it but when it jumped up so high so fast I didn't even bid.  At 42k, I would have bid

Hmm, not a good auction for me. Lost money overall, that first sale hurt and a few lots just died right at or below cost. My first bad auction in a few years. I just always seem to struggle in summer signature sales.

4 hours ago, jjonahjameson11 said:

Nick Cardy?

Murphy Anderson?

Gil Kane?

John Romita Jr?

D-i-c-k Giordano?

Neal Adams?

George Perez?

Shelly Moldoff?

Al Williamson?

Bump for Williamson, he was doing great work in the 50s, 60s, 70s, and 80s if that's not longevity... dunno what is! The man was amazing! 

I disagree with Eisner becoming a shell of his former self. His OGN work is absolutely stellar. and that was pretty late in his game. and know i'm not quoting you on that one JJJ11. But i'm too lazy to go back and multiquote lol 

I'll also add Toth. His love of drawing / creating never died, and he was a genius. 

I think the best way to explain it is this way. I look at the body of work, the 6 decades of top level production, I see the greatness in that others did not have. I look at the sheer number of main stream material he produced at a high level for generations of fans. I see greatness.

I guess it’s the Mark Schultz argument all over, is greatness defined by single great periods of limited production that’s mind blowing? Is he top 5 to you? Is Frank Frazetta or Dave Stevens top 5 American comic artists? Their clearly more talented and produced higher caliber work than any name mentioned here...I ask, are they top 5?

Edited by zhamlau

4 hours ago, Bill C said:

The way I took it was that those who have a lot of $ tied up in a certain artist's work may do what they can to keep the market appearing healthy (one example would be bidding up pieces so they don't go for a song, comparatively).

Oh yeah, that was perfectly clear.  It's been talked about in every artists market since day one.  I was asking for juicy details and names!

9 minutes ago, stinkininkin said:

Oh yeah, that was perfectly clear.  It's been talked about in every artists market since day one.  I was asking for juicy details and names!

The first rule of Frazetta Cabal...is that there is no Frazetta Cabal. 

15 hours ago, drdroom said:

I admire the tenacity of Zhamlau in defending his unpopular (not to say bonkers) Top Five placement of Sal B. The originality of this idea has provoked me to rethink all my assumptions & biases and imagine an alternate reality in which the bland & reliable utility player is held in the highest esteem. Who else would logically be in a Top Five that includes Sal? Here's my tentative Earth-B Top Five, which is open to revision:

Sal Buscema

José Garcia-Lopez

Bob Brown

Al Plastino

Paul Norris

lol I love it.  Reminds me of a skit from a British TV comedy show years ago where Indian tourists are visiting the UK and want an authentic British food experience, so they ask the waiter for the food to be made as bland as possible.  

Obviously I would put Sal's big bro John in the list, and Rich Buckler would be in there too.  Curt Swan also comes to mind. 

The 70s was the golden age of soul-less corporate comic art, so I'm sure there'll be a lot of candidates from this era.

Edited by tth2

9 hours ago, zhamlau said:

Hmm, not a good auction for me. Lost money overall, that first sale hurt and a few lots just died right at or below cost. My first bad auction in a few years. I just always seem to struggle in summer signature sales.

Me too.  I usually do pretty well with my consignments @ HA’s summer auction, but this year I lost money overall.  

A few minor pieces (under $1K) did all right, but I took a 50% hit on items in the $1K-$4K range, and a 20% haircut on items $5K+

33 minutes ago, jjonahjameson11 said:

Me too.  I usually do pretty well with my consignments @ HA’s summer auction, but this year I lost money overall.  

A few minor pieces (under $1K) did all right, but I took a 50% hit on items in the $1K-$4K range, and a 20% haircut on items $5K+

Ouch. Most of the stuff I was interested in went on the high side except for the Journey into Mystery 66 Kirby monster. I was at work and missed bidding.  I thought it closed on the low side. 

14 hours ago, drdroom said:

Sal Buscema

José Garcia-Lopez

Bob Brown

Al Plastino

Paul Norris

Bob Brown in the top 5 -- that cracked me up so much I spilled my drink

6 hours ago, batman_fan said:

Ouch. Most of the stuff I was interested in went on the high side except for the Journey into Mystery 66 Kirby monster. I was at work and missed bidding.  I thought it closed on the low side. 

that's the same book your splash is from isn't it?   Nice book too as Xemnu made some mainstream appearances.

I was looking at it too but passed due to already having won enough for one auction, and the back of Xemnu being turned I didn't like so much.

6 hours ago, jjonahjameson11 said:

I hear ya. I came in about 8k under expectation, and overall I lost money even with one huge win piece. It just sucks because the prices didn’t make sense based on market. Oh well sometimes you gotta take a loss. What sucks is I know three pieces in particular will go back up to auction or sale in the next year and will all magically do much better. It’s hard to buy pieces in major auctions and instantly make money, I managed to give that experience to at least 3 folks...You’re welcome :flamed:...sigh...