• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

August HA Auction
1 1

502 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, grapeape said:

I admire your case for Sal B who I am a fan of no doubt. I’m willing to keep him in a top ten list with consideration for top 5 entry for the next twenty years.

I’m thinking like the baseball writers that take up the ballots for Who gets into the hall of fame? each year.

lets meet this time each year and see if we can get a consensus to move sal into the top 5. You have Sal there. I’m not there yet. 

Cheers Let’s Go Mets and Lets get Sal into a consensus top 5 here on CGC!

God they are on a tear aren’t they? Alonso has bee off since the all star but he will pick it up.

2 hours ago, John Bamber 1973 said:

I personally think that trying to ascertain a top 5 when you are talking about something that is 8+ decades old and covering so many genres as well as international is almost impossible.

most people would say that Kirby has to be there but then the Europeans would say Herge and Uderzo must be there also.  Japan different again.

So....

why not open it up?  Create a number of categories like:

Story-telling, action, drama, space, fantasy, sci-fi, longevity, strip, etc etc...

I suppose what I’m getting to is that some people might put Charlie Adlard in a top 5 for story-telling when you consider he’s been so consistent with the walking dead.  Eduardo Risso as well.  You would never put J. Scott Campbell or Travis Charest on this list even though they are both great artists.

Space may be Kirby, Moebius

Just my two cents (worth the same as two pence now as well).

Cheers

John

Well said John. This thread opened up a lot of different ways to approach this.

Top 5 

• longevity

•pure talent (slippery slope eye of the beholder) 

• Amount of work produced

International artist in separate categories or all together 

sounds like a new thread

7 hours ago, drdroom said:

I think Swan kind of invented what I think of as Chamber-of-Commerce Superman, so again, a level of original contribution

To me, that's the epitome of the perfect corporate rendering of Superman, which is why I think Swan is definitely a member of this club. 

I would summarize the criteria to be very professional, solid technical skill, but no soul, no flair, nothing offensive, nothing thought provoking.  In ice cream terms, "plain vanilla".  

7 hours ago, drdroom said:

How about Jim Mooney? His career ran from the birth of superheroes into the 90s and includes countless forgettable pages of Batman, Supergirl, Spiderman, and many others.

Yeah, Mooney is a perfect example of the faceless journeyman artist. 

5 minutes ago, tth2 said:

To me, that's the epitome of the perfect corporate rendering of Superman, which is why I think Swan is definitely a member of this club. 

I would summarize the criteria to be very professional, solid technical skill, but no soul, no flair, nothing offensive, nothing thought provoking.  In ice cream terms, "plain vanilla".  

Jim Mooney not top 5 but hardly forgettable. His inks on Romita Sr are the best. Journeyman status no. He was extremely talented and everything he touched looked better.Too harsh to dismiss his work. Beautiful artist who is no longer underrated and recognized by many as a fine artist.

2 hours ago, John Bamber 1973 said:

I personally think that trying to ascertain a top 5 when you are talking about something that is 8+ decades old and covering so many genres as well as international is almost impossible.

most people would say that Kirby has to be there but then the Europeans would say Herge and Uderzo must be there also.  Japan different again.

So....

why not open it up?  Create a number of categories like:

Story-telling, action, drama, space, fantasy, sci-fi, longevity, strip, etc etc...

I suppose what I’m getting to is that some people might put Charlie Adlard in a top 5 for story-telling when you consider he’s been so consistent with the walking dead.  Eduardo Risso as well.  You would never put J. Scott Campbell or Travis Charest on this list even though they are both great artists.

Space may be Kirby, Moebius

Just my two cents (worth the same as two pence now as well).

Cheers

John

I like that idea,  but I suspect you’ll get even less agreement.   A top 5 list in comics should be a piece of cake in some ways because it should be the few guys that you just can’t ignore.   The undeniable.

47 minutes ago, tth2 said:

Ouch, all the supergirl work?

2 hours ago, tth2 said:

If Jefferson Starship had sung "We Built this City" about comic art, those drawings would be in the video. :sick:

I heard that song on the radio (Sirius XM 80s on 8) the other day for the first time in a long time. 

Is the song just bad...or, so bad it's good? hm 

I admit it...I listened to the whole thing. :blush: 

16 hours ago, mtlevy1 said:

I enjoy Sal Buscema but using the Baseball analogy, it is similar to saying one of the top 5 BB players of all time played for several decades but never had an above average season...

Well no I’d say he was never average. He basically was like a .301 hitter with 90/90/120 rub/rbi/hit combo with 22 hr average a season....just he did it for 30 seasons (like 80-100 war?) Anyone who does that not only goes HOF he goes first ballot.

Haha I love sports comparisons.

56 minutes ago, zhamlau said:

Kirby did the same

Agree; Kirby had the same problem with his 1970s return to Cap (his work I'm most familiar with). I wouldn't use the word expressive, I'd use dead.

58 minutes ago, zhamlau said:

I really liked this guy, not a fan of crapping on his work.

So now because we like someone we cannot critique the work? Ok (but no.)

The next time you give or get a periodic work review...see how well that flies lol

11 minutes ago, vodou said:

Agree; Kirby had the same problem with his 1970s return to Cap (his work I'm most familiar with). I wouldn't use the word expressive, I'd use dead.

So now because we like someone we cannot critique the work? Ok (but no.)

The next time you give or get a periodic work review...see how well that flies lol

Disagree, somewhat. Every Kirby pencil I've seen from any period has remarkably well "acted" facial expressions. If there are expression fails in Kirby, and there are occasionally, I'd put it down to the inker.

17 minutes ago, drdroom said:

Disagree, somewhat. Every Kirby pencil I've seen from any period has remarkably well "acted" facial expressions. If there are expression fails in Kirby, and there are occasionally, I'd put it down to the inker.

Just talking "stare eyes" -

image.png.8237edc671ecd7d6b85cb419170bd747.png