• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

August HA Auction
1 1

502 posts in this topic

8 hours ago, batman_fan said:
11 hours ago, tth2 said:

:signfunny:

I was waiting for you to respond 

Sometimes I'm Pavlov and you're the dog, and sometimes you're Pavlov and I'm the dog.

Either way, we're both very consistent!

Edited by tth2

4 minutes ago, tth2 said:

Sometimes I'm Pavlov and you're the dog, and sometimes you're Pavlov and I'm the dog.

lol  Truer words have never been spoken.  But a real question, what are your thoughts on BWS?  I actually didn't like his early Conan stuff.  The anatomy seemed a bit off and Conan looked more like a kid than a Barbarian.  Once you got into the teens for issues, I thought his stuff looked a lot better.

He definitely didn't hit his stride until the title hit the teens.  Some of the covers of the earlier issues are decent, but the interior art tended to be pretty mediocre in my opinion.  In fact, I'd say that the interior art even at his peak remained pretty mediocre.   

55 minutes ago, tth2 said:

He definitely didn't hit his stride until the title hit the teens.  Some of the covers of the earlier issues are decent, but the interior art tended to be pretty mediocre in my opinion.  In fact, I'd say that the interior art even at his peak remained pretty mediocre.   

Wait, are you agreeing he was no John Buscema? lol

2 hours ago, tth2 said:

Either way...you both answer the bell. 

tenor-16.gif.d2b68be659d2974327afe7a209b3830a.gif

1 hour ago, tth2 said:

Some of his later covers were not good while his anatomy improved somewhat his graps of how the human body truely moves and weight distribution was poor. He was no John Buscema on Conan.

9 hours ago, batman_fan said:
10 hours ago, tth2 said:

Wait, are you agreeing he was no John Buscema? lol

The way I would've answered the question if you'd asked me about JB:

He was incredibly consistently bland throughout his entire run.  All of the covers of the earlier, middle and later part of his run are bland, and the interior art was also always bland in my opinion.  In fact, I'd say that the best way to describe his work throughout his career is "bland".

:baiting:

2 hours ago, tth2 said:

The way I would've answered the question if you'd asked me about JB:

He was incredibly consistently bland throughout his entire run.  All of the covers of the earlier, middle and later part of his run are bland, and the interior art was also always bland in my opinion.  In fact, I'd say that the best way to describe his work throughout his career is "bland".

:baiting:

:cry:

10 hours ago, ESeffinga said:

Kaluta 167... THAT is a nice Conan cover. :)

Of the studio artists, Kaluta was initially the least appealing to me, and today, he might be my favourite.   I love artists who manage to not only stave off decline but actually iMprove after many years in the business; it’s a feat so few manage to pull off.   

Early Wrightson is my favourite “Studio” work but 15 years later his work was already in steep decline IMO (Batman:  cult, the weird, etc.    Still decent and in some spots still very good but a shadow of 1972 era work). 

Edited by Bronty

10 hours ago, Bronty said:

Early Wrightson is my favourite “Studio” work but 15 years later his work was already in steep decline IMO (Batman:  cult, the weird, etc.    Still decent and in some spots still very good but a shadow of 1972 era work). 

Wrightson ran into a number of personal issues in the 1980s that took a toll on his output, similar to Frazetta's stroke and the other thing (horrible memory today, but it was undiagnosed thyroid situation or something iirc?) And of course the sacrifices made "for" Frankenstein over a decade or so meant that much "not Frankenstein" necessarily followed the next three decades.

I still cannot muster great enthusiasm for Kaluta, early, middle or late. But I get that it's "just me"!

12 hours ago, vodou said:

Wrightson ran into a number of personal issues in the 1980s that took a toll on his output, similar to Frazetta's stroke and the other thing (horrible memory today, but it was undiagnosed thyroid situation or something iirc?) And of course the sacrifices made "for" Frankenstein over a decade or so meant that much "not Frankenstein" necessarily followed the next three decades.

I still cannot muster great enthusiasm for Kaluta, early, middle or late. But I get that it's "just me"!

Not just you.  Certain prime Kaluta pieces are terrific, but he'll always be a distant fourth place to the other Studio artists for me.