• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

August HA Auction
1 1

502 posts in this topic

57 minutes ago, jjonahjameson11 said:

+ 1

But what's "prime" Kaluta?   THe way Scott phrases his comment makes me think that he's referencing Shadow (20c cover) kind of material.    Early 70s.

For me his 90s and later material is far better than his 70s stuff.   Run a google search on his images and pick out the ones you like best.    The dates will surprise you.

48 minutes ago, Bronty said:

But what's "prime" Kaluta?   THe way Scott phrases his comment makes me think that he's referencing Shadow (20c cover) kind of material.    Early 70s.

For me his 90s and later material is far better than his 70s stuff.   Run a google search on his images and pick out the ones you like best.    The dates will surprise you.

1994 Tolkien calendar artwork would be the grail for me (I understand not available).

His cover for Metropolis I also thought was mind blowing.

5 hours ago, Bronty said:

My agreement with Scott’s Post is that Kaluta is a distant 4th to the other Studio artists.

personally, I prefer Kaluta’s work from 84-86 moreso than his work before or after.

4 hours ago, cstojano said:

His cover for Metropolis I also thought was mind blowing.

Albert Moy has it for sale (or at least still had it back in April at the art show)-

https://www.cgccomics.com/boards/topic/445129-nyc-comic-art-expo-2019/?do=findComment&comment=10670876

Scroll down a little in Ankur's pics and you will see it on Albert's wall.

For the record, I love Kaluta's work! He's done so many great covers through the years. He was drawing his balls off during the Vertigo era. And Doorway to Nightmare? Yes, please.

Edited by BCarter27

5 hours ago, BCarter27 said:

Albert Moy has it for sale (or at least still had it back in April at the art show)-

https://www.cgccomics.com/boards/topic/445129-nyc-comic-art-expo-2019/?do=findComment&comment=10670876

Scroll down a little in Ankur's pics and you will see it on Albert's wall.

For the record, I love Kaluta's work! He's done so many great covers through the years. He was drawing his balls off during the Vertigo era. And Doorway to Nightmare? Yes, please.

Yup, 35k.

On 6/30/2019 at 10:04 AM, tth2 said:

The way I would've answered the question if you'd asked me about JB:

He was incredibly consistently bland throughout his entire run.  All of the covers of the earlier, middle and later part of his run are bland, and the interior art was also always bland in my opinion.  In fact, I'd say that the best way to describe his work throughout his career is "bland".

:baiting:

I want you to read Brian's book on Buscema and post a review of it on Amazon: :idea: 

1105367229_Buscemamichaelangelo.jpg.ddf8698faad8835b2fc9dc490a16add7.jpg

On 6/30/2019 at 7:04 AM, tth2 said:

He was incredibly consistently bland throughout his entire run.  All of the covers of the earlier, middle and later part of his run are bland, and the interior art was also always bland in my opinion.  In fact, I'd say that the best way to describe his work throughout his career is "bland".

You are completely wrong, John Buscema is one of the best comic book artist ever!!! John could draw almost anything, while he wasn't a big fan of superhero and team books his story telling was fantastic. Just look at the number of artists he had influenced. Many artist would disagree with you concerning John Buscema.

Edited by Brian Peck

1 hour ago, delekkerste said:

I want you to read Brian's book on Buscema and post a review of it on Amazon: :idea: 

I dunno about the contents, but boy that cover sure is bland!   :insane:

Oops no offense Brian!  Didn’t see you were the Brian in question.   Just a light hearted jab from the other POV. :)

Edited by Bronty

On 7/1/2019 at 11:29 PM, stinkininkin said:

Not just you.  Certain prime Kaluta pieces are terrific, but he'll always be a distant fourth place to the other Studio artists for me.

Ditto Scott- but curious how you rank them all?

me:

1. Jones

2. Wrightson

3. BWS

4.Kaluta

(blank lines between names intentional to denote the difference in talent between the respective Studio artists, relative to each other. )

On 6/30/2019 at 9:04 AM, tth2 said:

Put down the crack pipe, your'e clearly high.

8 hours ago, Bronty said:

I dunno about the contents, but boy that cover sure is bland!   :insane:

Oops no offense Brian!  Didn’t see you were the Brian in question.   Just a light hearted jab from the other POV. :)

Well...the comment does raise the question of "who" put that cover together and sent it to print...Hermes folks? It's just an amalgam of separately previously published JB images thrown together. But it fails the way many convention jam pieces do. While obvious what the point is ("casual browser with little/no knowledge of JB art: here's some of the nicer ones!") but...taken as a whole...and with the uninspired font choices also...looks more vanity press than small press. Sorry but whatever editorial/production restraint and creativity might be in place at Hermes, it looks like they were on vacation.

12 hours ago, MYNAMEISLEGION said:

Ditto Scott- but curious how you rank them all?

me:

1. Jones

2. Wrightson

3. BWS

4.Kaluta

(blank lines between names intentional to denote the difference in talent between the respective Studio artists, relative to each other. )

Somebody call a doctor, quickly!  This is the first time that I agree with one of your posts.  :baiting:

On 6/30/2019 at 10:04 AM, tth2 said:

Doesn’t look bland to me. Strong main images, good facial structures, well-proportioned figures, poses seem superheroic-natural, I don’t recall lousy backgrounds,...maybe you just don’t like the style. He isn’t Basil Wolverton, but he isn’t drawing in a medium for that.

BWS on Buscema:

WINDSOR-SMITH: .... Now, John, who was a very good draughtsman, was the most feted penciler that comics had seen at that time. But for a man to have that kind of talent, that capacity to draw, or to cartoon, and yet have no intellectual basis and seemingly put nothing into those stories that you can come away with smiling … That to me was always the most bizarre anomaly, you know? He was a naturally talented man. I always compared him to Paul McCartney where Paul McCartney was obviously the best musician in the Beatles, there was nothing he couldn’t do, you know? .... And yet Paul McCartney’s work is vapid. He wrote some really terrific tunes every now and then I have to admit, like “Hey Jude,” I mean, God was sitting on his shoulder when he wrote “Hey Jude.” But in general, Paul McCartney gives you nothing… And yet his partner, John Lennon, who could not play as well, could not sing as well, wrote some very good songs but really wasn’t as prolific as McCartney. But John [Lennon], just like Kirby, still stands up. Because there is an almost inexplicable value to what he was doing. I say “inexplicable,” but you could always try to point out what it all was, but to a degree it is inexplicable. If you’re touched with something, a vision, a hard-edge vision perhaps, even a soft vision, as long as you’ve got vision! As long as you’ve got vision and you can send it out, you can project it ... That’s what Kirby could do with aplomb, it’s what John Lennon did, it’s what a lot of people did, I’m just using two popular icons right now.

So in the case of John Buscema, he could certainly draw the human figure finer than Jack Kirby but there was just no valid intensity to what he was doing. It was just pap. ....  Buscema has been turning out comic books for 30 or more years ... Why didn’t he make them art? Look at his work, even the Silver Surfer books that were among his most facile and pretty, and you won’t find art; you’ll find a journeyman talent wasted on a field that prefers his kind to my kind.

..... he has so much craft. If ever anybody was confused — and I know a lot of people are — about the difference between art and craft, and that they do not go together like strawberries and cream, if anybody can really grasp what we’re saying here, that is, the difference between Kirby and Buscema, there’s your bloody fat dividing line. I mean, it’s a seven-lane highway, right between the two! The difference between art and craft. 

4 hours ago, mtlevy1 said:

Interesting perspective from BWS, if a bit blunt.

I do like the distinction between art and craft - always helps me understand much of modern art that has so little craft.

I’ve been waiting for 40 years for BWS to learn to draw a freaking nose for Christ’s sake. He could stand to spend a little time on the craft part....

On 7/4/2019 at 11:59 AM, delekkerste said:

Once again, I want to emphasize that I don't dislike John Buscema.  

He's perfectly adequate.