• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

August HA Auction
1 1

502 posts in this topic

20k + (with premium) for the Uxm 129 Byrne Austin page. That is already very strong, I would have thought the Phoenix page to be ahead.  In any case,  obviously the classic  Byrne run continues to be a major favourite...

Carlo

The auction has several intriguing pairs, each of the following 10 pairings have two pieces neck-and-neck in current bids, but which piece ultimately fetches the higher price? (shrug)

(1) Sal Buscema:  Defenders 9 vs. Cap 137 cover?

(2) Kirby Thing pin-up vs. McFarlane Hulk splash?

(3) Byrne X-Men 129 (Hellfire Club) page vs. 135 (Dark Phoenix) page?

(4) Early Prince Valiant #10 page vs early Krazy Kat 1918 page?

(5)  Perfect 10s: Starlin Warlock 10 page vs. Golden Avenger Annual 10 page?

(6)  Lee/Williams:  All-Star Batman and Robin 6 page vs. X-Men 4 page?

(7) Neal Adams Superman:  Superman 263 cover vs. Superman LP cover

(8)  Frazetta Death Dealer study vs. Personal Love 24 page?

(9)  Frank Miller Lone Wolf cover vs. Wolverine 2 title page?

(10)  Byrne Wolverine 22 cover vs. Wolverine 7 plate?

My guess hm...my choice is the first piece listed in each pairing.  What do you think? 

Edited by GreatEscape

46 minutes ago, GreatEscape said:

The auction has several intriguing pairs, each of the following 10 pairings have two pieces neck-and-neck in current bids, but which piece ultimately fetches the higher price? (shrug)

My guess hm...my choice is the first piece listed in each pairing.  What do you think? 

And put the Watchmen up against the Dark Knight page?

18 hours ago, dichotomy said:

18 hours ago, dichotomy said:

18 hours ago, GreatEscape said:

Just to mention the ones I am following the closest:

1) Defenders 9 cover (such large images of major characters from super major storyline - a classic IMHO)

2) Kirby Thing Pin-up

3) Dark Phoenix - I have already expressed my surprise at how high the XM 129 page - Kitty Pryde premium?????

5) Golden Avengers Annual, by a thin margin

10) Wolverine plate - nicer to look at.

15 minutes ago, Carlo M said:

3) Dark Phoenix - I have already expressed my surprise at how high the XM 129 page - Kitty Pryde premium?????

More X-Men (Wolverine, Cyclops, Storm, Kitty) > Less X-Men (Phoenix)

Kitty Pryde in her first appearance issue

and, crucially...

Emma Frost in her classic corset and white knickers costume - that alone makes the page more desirable than the #135 one.  Don't front, you all know it's true. :fear: 

x129.PNG.cc49f21b7adedbe35ec8436d5a7f0270.PNG

55 minutes ago, delekkerste said:

More X-Men (Wolverine, Cyclops, Storm, Kitty) > Less X-Men (Phoenix)

Kitty Pryde in her first appearance issue

and, crucially...

Emma Frost in her classic corset and white knickers costume - that alone makes the page more desirable than the #135 one.  Don't front, you all know it's true. :fear: 

x129.PNG.cc49f21b7adedbe35ec8436d5a7f0270.PNG

Ha ha classic analysis,  sorry nothing to ad. Well played sir. Well played.

On 7/4/2019 at 11:40 AM, glendgold said:

The Internet, Always, a play in one act:

PERSON A: I like something

PERSON B: I like something different.

PERSON A: Your opinion is wrong. 

(curtain)

Lol.... late to the party but spot on G-Gold

On 7/7/2019 at 12:53 AM, tth2 said:

Vomii

Not a bad one coming up.   I'm sure you'll want to arrange to be available for the auction

Posing of the figures is fairly relaxed and natural which you don't always get in a boris.

21146826%5D,sizedata%5B850x600%5D&call=u

1 hour ago, Bronty said:

Not a bad one coming up.   I'm sure you'll want to arrange to be available for the auction

Posing of the figures is fairly relaxed and natural which you don't always get in a boris.

It's well done; I'm generally a fan of Boris' work from the '70s through the very early '80s. 

That said, I just can't imagine putting this up on my wall at this stage in life. 

5 hours ago, delekkerste said:

It's well done; I'm generally a fan of Boris' work from the '70s through the very early '80s. 

That said, I just can't imagine putting this up on my wall at this stage in life. 

I mean, I respect that everybody’s got artists they don’t dig but if you need comic or other illustration art to be “deep” and mean something to you at a certain “stage” in life... its not really going to fit the bill if viewed through that prism.... it’s all pretty juvenile.    It’s not like some Kirby captain America and red skull piece is any less silly.   

So I say enjoy it all (whether Kirby or Boris or whatever) in all it’s cheese and don’t take any of it too seriously 2c

Edited by Bronty

1 hour ago, Bronty said:

I mean, I respect that everybody’s got artists they don’t dig (and despite what people seem to think the only borises and Julie’s but if you need comic or other illustration art to be “deep” and mean something to you at a certain “stage” in life... its not really going to fit the bill if viewed through that prism.... it’s all pretty juvenile.    It’s not like some Kirby captain America and red skull piece is any less silly.   

So I say enjoy it all (whether Kirby or Boris or whatever) in all it’s cheese and don’t take any of it too seriously 2c

that's good advice

15 hours ago, Bronty said:

That's a cover from the Gor books, if I recall from my youth.

I actually don't hate his work on Gor.  His work is much more restrained and his technical skill is easier to appreciate. 

Still a total rip-off of Frazetta, but a skilled rip-off of Frazetta.

12 hours ago, Bronty said:

I mean, I respect that everybody’s got artists they don’t dig but if you need comic or other illustration art to be “deep” and mean something to you at a certain “stage” in life... its not really going to fit the bill if viewed through that prism.... it’s all pretty juvenile.    It’s not like some Kirby captain America and red skull piece is any less silly.   

I know you're keen on advocating the "Juvenile Equivalency Theory", but, I think it's more nuanced than that. Fantasy art from the '60s-'90s (especially the more garish, now very un-PC examples from the '70s and '80s hey-day) is always largely going to gin up unfavorable allusions to horny teenage boys and an era where such images were airbrushed onto painted vans.  Of course you will disagree, but, I suspect that most people probably wouldn't.     

On the other hand, Kirby Cap vs. Red Skull may have originally been created for a juvenile audience, but, is probably now considered to be a bit of history with all-ages appeal now that the movies have made the characters so ubiquitous.  I mean, sure, it's never going to be revered/appreciated by outsiders the same way we do, and will largely be dismissed as lightweight stuff by the fine art cognoscenti.  But, at least if someone sees a Kirby Cap page framed on your wall, as opposed to seeing a Boris topless slave girl painting in your foyer, they're not going to be worried if it's safe to have their kids come over and play with yours. :eek:  Which you and I know is ridiculous, but, you know people not in the hobby are going to think these thoughts when they see something like this. :preach: 

Comic art* and fantasy art may both be considered, at least in some aspects, as juvenile, but, the reality is that most people will never view them the same way.  The former has all-ages appeal - and, even if it didn't, there's not a big stigma on it just appealing to kids anyway; if you had an original Mickey Mouse drawing or comic strip art or children's book illustration hanging up on our wall, people are not going to think any less of you.  Fantasy art, though, carries a very different connotation- it's juvenile, but, not meant for kids...it carries the stigma of appealing to teenage boys and older pervs. :fear: 

Which is a terrible generalization, I know, but, is it untrue?  If you showed that Boris painting above to a hundred people on the street, I bet that 90-98 of them are not going to be appreciating the technique so much as snickering about the subject matter.  And you may say, "who cares about the general public", but, unless everybody you know and that visits your home is a comic/fantasy art fan, it's going to matter (even among our community, people view it differently, as can be seen by the post in the various threads about Boris).  And you may then say, "who cares what other people think", which is absolutely valid, but, I'm not telling people not to collect what they like, I'm just making the point that there is a difference in how fantasy art is viewed vis-a-vis comic art, which I don't think is really can seriously be questioned. 

* There is plenty of comic art that would be looked down upon for similar reasons, but, I'm talking mostly about vintage superhero fare & highly regarded indies, and not GGA, bad girl, '90s drek, etc. for the most part.  

JET, I like the sound of that!

Honestly, lets skip the semantics Gene.     Sure "aimed at 4 year olds" can be spun into "all ages appeal" ;) but what is at the heart of all of it?

Either you like Kirby Cap or you don't, either you like this Boris book cover or you don't.

Why not like both?   What the slave girl is offensive?   I guess we better all boycott star wars (not hard for me to do since I've never been a fan).

Screw all that.    Let's like what we like.    This (both Kirby and Boris) is illustration art, its fun and its of its time.    Nazis and Slave girls.     It doesn't, IMO, need to be "deep" or address anyone's "stage in life."   It can simply be what it is and be appreciated on that level.

You don't need to be a fan of this piece or any other and neither do I.

I mean, we can play this game ALL DAY LONG.    :ohnoez:

You can say 'Boris art was pervy' and I say 'Gene you're a hypocrite having just bought a Red Sonja, warrior in a chain mail bikini cover"?    Who was that created for?   The Illuminati?  ;)  Or for pervy 12 year old Gene?  :insane:    (Pervy 12 year old Dan liked bikinis too don't get we wrong :insane:  ).

In summary:    JET.   ^^

I mean... don't you see the inherent inconsistency in your position?   That Boris is, due presumably to subject matter, unfit for your 'stage in life' and yet a Red Sonja cover with her boobs hanging out of the most ridiculous armor anyone never battled in is all in the name of nostalgia?   

Since you brought up laymen, does a layman looking at the Red Sonja art really think, wow, the guy who owns this must be deep and mature and intelligent while thinking the Boris owner is a knuckledragger?   I highly doubt it my friend!    (the laymen will think both owners are knuckledraggers :insane:).    

Deep thoughts!  hm     Like what you like and own it in all its cheese!   :foryou:   Even if its redheads in chain mail bikinis :x

:tink:

Edited by Bronty