• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Anybody have this PayPal problem?

39 posts in this topic

I can’t send money with my PP account.

Im tying to pay for a book today and I had to take a step where PP would have to call my house and I’d enter a code so the payment can go through.

As I enter the code I’m taken to another screen where it says “something went wrong”

So I tried a couple of times to no avail so I call PP and I’ll use this term loosely “customer service” tells me that their internal security service is preventing my payment. 

The rep has no information as to why my payment can’t go through, whose account is the issue (buyer or seller, but I assume it’s mine) or when the internal system will allow my payment to go through if at all, nothing! The only advice is to pay through some other means. 

Just for some background;

I don’t keep dollars in my PayPal account because I didn’t want them to hold my money hostage.

I haven’t used PayPal for a while besides through eBay (4 times in the last couple months for items ranging in value from $5-$800.00)

i have all the standard payment methods registered to my account Credit card and two bank accounts.

I’ve never had an issue with my account being overdrawn on not being able to pay and have had my account for years (over 10 years) basically as long as I’ve been buying books on here. 

Any advice or similar experiences?

Yes.

Paypal is in deep trouble, and going back to being stupid, as in the old days.

When I demanded to talk to a supervisor, the supervisor played spy games with me and said "the system is not going to let you do that"...he didn't add "Dave" at the end, but he could have.

I kept saying "um...if you won't tell me what the problem is, how can I fix it?"

He kept saying "I can't tell you for security reasons."

It is utter lunacy, and incredibly infuriating. It's childish, but more and more of our world is being run by children, disguised as adults.

Hi,

The issue is you have not verified your identity with Paypal which became a requirement due to changes with Canada Revenue Agency CRA.

I had similar problems earlier this year, and I was required to provide Paypal:

1. a copy of my driver's license

2. a utility bill with my name on it

3. The most recent Notice of Assessment.

The last one bothers me a lot.

48 minutes ago, topofthetotem said:

The rep has no information as to why my payment can’t go through, whose account is the issue (buyer or seller, but I assume it’s mine) or when the internal system will allow my payment to go through if at all, nothing! The only advice is to pay through some other means. 

If Paypal refuses to tell people what the problem is, they have absolutely no way of fixing it. One can make all sorts of assumptions trying to make it work, but ultimately, if Paypal is playing spy games with its customers, blaming it on the "internal security system"...which is the phrase they used with me...then there is no real hope of fixing it. At that point, you're just guessing, hoping to stumble across the right answer.

24 minutes ago, Artboy99 said:

Hi,

The issue is you have not verified your identity with Paypal which became a requirement due to changes with Canada Revenue Agency CRA.

I had similar problems earlier this year, and I was required to provide Paypal:

1. a copy of my driver's license

2. a utility bill with my name on it

3. The most recent Notice of Assessment.

The last one bothers me a lot.

Ok, well I guess I won’t be using PayPal anymore. 

12 minutes ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

If Paypal refuses to tell people what the problem is, they have absolutely no way of fixing it. One can make all sorts of assumptions trying to make it work, but ultimately, if Paypal is playing spy games with its customers, blaming it on the "internal security system"...which is the phrase they used with me...then there is no real hope of fixing it. At that point, you're just guessing, hoping to stumble across the right answer.

F PayPal.

15 minutes ago, topofthetotem said:

I don’t know if the sellers here accept CC as a form of payment.

I DO! I have a square account that I have only used once as a test. I will have to mention it in my next sales thread.

2 hours ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

Yes.

Paypal is in deep trouble, and going back to being stupid, as in the old days.

When I demanded to talk to a supervisor, the supervisor played spy games with me and said "the system is not going to let you do that"...he didn't add "Dave" at the end, but he could have.

I kept saying "um...if you won't tell me what the problem is, how can I fix it?"

He kept saying "I can't tell you for security reasons."

It is utter lunacy, and incredibly infuriating. It's childish, but more and more of our world is being run by children, disguised as adults.

I'm sorry Dave, I can't let you use your account. It's under my control now. Goodbye.  

Just now, The Lions Den said:

I'm sorry Dave, I can't let you use your account. It's under my control now. Goodbye.  

We laugh, but that's essentially what's happening.

The "algorithms" are to blame, they say. The "algorithms" "detected unusual activity." 

What unusual activity...?

"We can't tell you. It's a security issue."

Then how am I supposed to resolve the issue, if I don't know what I did wrong...?

"We can't do anything...the computer security system won't let us."

Then tell me just who is running your company...you, or your computers...?

29 minutes ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

We laugh, but that's essentially what's happening.

The "algorithms" are to blame, they say. The "algorithms" "detected unusual activity." 

What unusual activity...?

"We can't tell you. It's a security issue."

Then how am I supposed to resolve the issue, if I don't know what I did wrong...?

"We can't do anything...the computer security system won't let us."

Then tell me just who is running your company...you, or your computers...?

Do you want Skynet?  Because that is how you get Skynet!

4 hours ago, topofthetotem said:

I can’t send money with my PP account.

Im tying to pay for a book today and I had to take a step where PP would have to call my house and I’d enter a code so the payment can go through.

As I enter the code I’m taken to another screen where it says “something went wrong”

So I tried a couple of times to no avail so I call PP and I’ll use this term loosely “customer service” tells me that their internal security service is preventing my payment. 

Just for some background;

I don’t keep dollars in my PayPal account because I didn’t want them to hold my money hostage.

I haven’t used PayPal for a while besides through eBay (4 times in the last couple months for items ranging in value from $5-$800.00)

i have all the standard payment methods registered to my account Credit card and two bank accounts.

I’ve never had an issue with my account being overdrawn on not being able to pay and have had my account for years (over 10 years) basically as long as I’ve been buying books on here. 

Any advice or similar experiences?

Sounds like another perk of being Canadian.  :cool: 

I'm having the problem but PP asks me for my SS number.I can transfer the balance to my bank but I can't pay for anything  with my PP balance.I can still use PP to pay but it pulls it from my bank account(one I use just for ebay). I have been using PP since 2003 and am verified but I will not give them my SS #.

Wasn't Ebay going to another form of payment after their split? I thought I remember reading that.

1 hour ago, PopKulture said:

That's the way I'm leaning after those same requests for an ID and mail.  :sorry:

I never received any request for further verification other then linking my cellphone when signing in.

5 hours ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

Why do people still use Paypal when you could just use your credit card or debit card online?

Paypal is so 2003?

(shrug)

If there is a online screw up my credit card or debit card will offer more protection than Paypal.

Your debit card?

I don't trust anything on my debit card, but local transactions. It takes a lot longer to fix debit card issues 
and your liability and time limits are a problem as well. 

Credit card yes, debit card no way. I just link mine to a dummy checking account with $50 in it.

Edited by fastballspecial

17 minutes ago, fastballspecial said:

Your debit card?

I don't trust anything on my debit card, but local transactions. It takes a lot longer to fix debit card issues 
and your liability and time limits are a problem as well. 

Credit card yes, debit card no way. I just link mine to a dummy checking account with $50 in it.

I trust my bank with a debit card much more than Paypal.

I moved to Amazon years ago over Ebay and it is much easier.If I want somerhing on Amazon I buy it instantly with my credit card or debit card, so much easier than that Paypal stuff with bells and whistles. In a few years even Ebay will have replaced Paypal with Adyen.