• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Anybody have this PayPal problem?

39 posts in this topic

48 minutes ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

I trust my bank with a debit card much more than Paypal.

I moved to Amazon years ago over Ebay and it is much easier.If I want somerhing on Amazon I buy it instantly with my credit card or debit card, so much easier than that Paypal stuff with bells and whistles. In a few years even Ebay will have replaced Paypal with Adyen.

All true, but I trust my debit card less.

I only use it for local transactions where I know the places well. You don't have the same protections with a debit card that you do with a credit card. Trust me if your ever have debit card issues you will find out real fast that its a lot more work to prove that it wasn't your issue. Your liability is much much higher on a debit card.

Ive been with paypal for I don't know almost 20 years with absolutely zero problems not one. I sell a decent volume as well.Never lost a case so far and I think I have had to only call them one time and the problem was fixed.( I might have had 10-15 cases in 20 years.) I never keep a large balance
as well which I think helps me I just move it quickly.

And yes Adyen will take their place which worries me its a tremendous change for ebay in general.
I have always looked toward Amazon as well, but what I sell doesn't seem to do as well on Amazon because its more a collectible. Just my two cents.

Edited by fastballspecial

2 hours ago, Toz said:

I'm having the problem but PP asks me for my SS number.I can transfer the balance to my bank but I can't pay for anything  with my PP balance.I can still use PP to pay but it pulls it from my bank account(one I use just for ebay). I have been using PP since 2003 and am verified but I will not give them my SS #.

Wasn't Ebay going to another form of payment after their split? I thought I remember reading that.

I assumed this change affected at least ALL US buyers.  Likely some sort of legal loophope someone is trying to fix or close.  By forcing it into a bank or making you verify with SS numbers, they can easily identify who is doing all the transactions.  

9 hours ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

I trust my bank with a debit card much more than Paypal.

I moved to Amazon years ago over Ebay and it is much easier.If I want somerhing on Amazon I buy it instantly with my credit card or debit card, so much easier than that Paypal stuff with bells and whistles. In a few years even Ebay will have replaced Paypal with Adyen.

Can't use debit card to purchase online here in Canada.

Only choice is a credit card or your bank account if paying through Paypal.

I have only used Amazon a few times but can you link directly to a bank account? 

17 hours ago, Artboy99 said:

Hi,

The issue is you have not verified your identity with Paypal which became a requirement due to changes with Canada Revenue Agency CRA.

I had similar problems earlier this year, and I was required to provide Paypal:

1. a copy of my driver's license

2. a utility bill with my name on it

3. The most recent Notice of Assessment.

The last one bothers me a lot.

Did you talk to someone at Paypal directly about this?  If by NoA you mean that document released to us by Revenue Canada, that is way (way) too much confidential information to be shared with a private corporation. If the Canadian government is forcing Paypal to ask for this information, than the Canadian government is putting Paypal under obligations they do not for any other financial institution in Canada. I would be suspicious of this. 2c

12 hours ago, topofthetotem said:

I never received any request for further verification other then linking my cellphone when signing in.

Same here, and I haven't given them my cell, something else they have no need for, except presumably to bombard us with spam text messages on the cheap. 

5 minutes ago, crassus said:

Did you talk to someone at Paypal directly about this?  If by NoA you mean that document released to us by Revenue Canada, that is way (way) too much confidential information to be shared with a private corporation. If the Canadian government is forcing Paypal to ask for this information, than the Canadian government is putting Paypal under obligations they do not for any other financial institution in Canada. I would be suspicious of this. 2c

Paypal and I discussed this, and I was told I needed to provide the Notice of Assessment. I then contacted Canada Revenue Agency and they confirmed that they have requested involvement with Paypal I.E. Paypal is now forwarding their records to CRA.

It isn't suspicious, it is CRA wanting to know where Canadians are getting dollars from and whether you declare it.

Whether this is everyone or if I have been singled out is what I do not know.

Edited by Artboy99

1 minute ago, Artboy99 said:

Paypal and I discussed this, and I was told I needed to provide the Notice of Assessment. I then contacted Canada Revenue Agency and they confirmed that they have requested involvement with Paypal I.E. Paypal is now forwarding their records to CRA.

It isn't suspicious, it is CRA wanting to know where Canadians are getting dollars from and whether you declare it.

Except that there is no need for us the customer to provide Paypal with a copy of our (private and legally confidential) NoA for the CRA to force Paypal to disclose our information to them. (shrug)

2 minutes ago, crassus said:

Except that there is no need for us the customer to provide Paypal with a copy of our (private and legally confidential) NoA for the CRA to force Paypal to disclose our information to them. (shrug)

Shrug..

I am not interested in using Paypal anymore because of this. I withdrew everything I had with them.

Whether it is legal or not for CRA to have Paypal provide their customer information it has happened in my case. I had to do it to be able to use my account and withdraw the funds that were there. It wasn't significant, I had around $9000 there. I don't sell very often and it will be even less now. One thing is certain I have no interest in a legal dispute with CRA.

1 minute ago, Artboy99 said:

Shrug..

I am not interested in using Paypal anymore because of this. I withdrew everything I had with them.

Whether it is legal or not for CRA to have Paypal provide their customer information it has happened in my case. I had to do it to be able to use my account and withdraw the funds that were there. It wasn't significant, I had around $9000 there. I don't sell very often and it will be even less now. One thing is certain I have no interest in a legal dispute with CRA.

I appreciate that, but it is a serious matter, if nothing else, when it comes to protecting customers from identity theft. Paypal doesn't need to know such intimate financial and personal information to fulfill a reporting obligation to the CRA. Any unnecessary proliferation of sensitive personal information just further endangers privacy and risks seeding the criminal industry of identify theft, fraudulent cc applications (using this information), theft and diversion of mail (yes that happens too) and all the invasive doors that are opened when this kind of information gets uploaded into company systems that are routinely hacked. 

That said, I'm certainly not recommending going to court against the CRA, but yes that would end my relationship with Paypal for certain. 

Just an update, I was able to send payment today. I have no idea why it works today and not yesterday and don’t know if it will work tomorrow but at least the seller won’t be worried about receiving their payment. 

28 minutes ago, topofthetotem said:

Just an update, I was able to send payment today. I have no idea why it works today and not yesterday and don’t know if it will work tomorrow but at least the seller won’t be worried about receiving their payment. 

It worked because Paypal was readimg this thread. 

:gossip:

I've been a paypal customer for about 17 years and have never has one single problem. Last month I decided to list a bunch of stuff on ebay after not selling anything for two years. I sold three items and got an email from paypal that my money was being held for up to 21 days due to potential fraud issues. I called ebay and they said it was a paypal issue, although ebay said with my history they shouldn't be holding my money. I called paypal and got nowhere, even with a supervisor. My nearly 20 year history on ebay (no issues, no returns, no negatives, no issues buying anything) and my 17 year history on paypal didn't amount to squat. My money would not be released until tracking showed that the items had been delivered. They didn't even give me the option of proving my identity or anything. I was treated little better than some noob who just signed up. It's funny that they never had any problem with me sending money for purchases in the last two years but I try to sell something and apparently tripped some kind of BS algorithm that caused my money to be held. 

The good news is that the payments did eventually clear but here's the weird thing. My money was held on those first three items sold but then I started selling more and those payment went through without a hitch. ??? Doesn't make any sense whatsoever. What bothers me the most is that paypal doesn't even have (or more likely doesn't care to have) a system in place that would have allowed me to prove who I am and then get my money. I was just shut down.  

7 hours ago, MagnusX said:

To the OP and whoever live in Canada and use Paypal
You can read my experience with paypal in this thread...

Paypal question for Canadians members Link...

Thanks for the link. The paradox is that because they have security problems they are asking for more private information from their clients, which because they have security problems they cannot protect, and so they and we both end up more likely to be victimized by cybercriminals. Giving companies like this more personal info is not increasing our security, its merely loading more ballast onto a leaky ship. And this says nothing about the companies that take it so they can sell it to the highest bidder...

The trading and the wider dissemination of otherwise private and confidential information throughout a web of insecure systems is a disaster waiting to happen, or maybe I should say an ongoing disaster... 2c

7 hours ago, Jeffro™ said:

I've been a paypal customer for about 17 years and have never has one single problem. Last month I decided to list a bunch of stuff on ebay after not selling anything for two years. I sold three items and got an email from paypal that my money was being held for up to 21 days due to potential fraud issues. I called ebay and they said it was a paypal issue, although ebay said with my history they shouldn't be holding my money. I called paypal and got nowhere, even with a supervisor. My nearly 20 year history on ebay (no issues, no returns, no negatives, no issues buying anything) and my 17 year history on paypal didn't amount to squat. My money would not be released until tracking showed that the items had been delivered. They didn't even give me the option of proving my identity or anything. I was treated little better than some noob who just signed up. It's funny that they never had any problem with me sending money for purchases in the last two years but I try to sell something and apparently tripped some kind of BS algorithm that caused my money to be held. 

The good news is that the payments did eventually clear but here's the weird thing. My money was held on those first three items sold but then I started selling more and those payment went through without a hitch. ??? Doesn't make any sense whatsoever. What bothers me the most is that paypal doesn't even have (or more likely doesn't care to have) a system in place that would have allowed me to prove who I am and then get my money. I was just shut down.  

"I'm sorry Dave, I can't allow you to do that..."