• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How to report a Grading SCAM??

12 posts in this topic

I was interested in bidding on a CGC Graded book that will expire in about one hour but it looks like a scam.   Yes, I know "dont' bid on it then" but I believe if there is criminal activity going on then those should be prosecuted.   You guys please be the judge if CGC would actually give this book a 9.2??   thanks...    If its seems wrong please pass this onto whomever in CGC that can further advise in false CGC knockoff's and comment.   thx again.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/GHOST-RIDER-1-CGC-9-2-WHITE-PAGES-1st-FIRST-SON-OF-SATAN-BEAUTIFUL-COPY/283494568560

I looked closely at this auction and I don't think this is a scam. This is a very reputable seller we're talking about, and this is one of the new style cases, which is what this seller typically puts up for auction. They also apparently sell these books for charity reasons, so in my mind, that would bolster their credibility, not detract from it. So then it comes down to whether the grade is accurate or not. What looks like a stain at the bottom edge of the front cover appears to be distribution ink, and I've seen books graded 9.4 with similar ink stains. I do see some wear on the bottom edge of the front cover, but that's pretty minor, too. The fingerprints on the upper right edge of the front cover are likely on the holder, not the book. If they are on the book, it's not the seller's fault, it's someone at CGC with dirty fingers. And those white flecks on the front cover also appear to be tiny pieces of paper that are either trapped inside the holder or stuck to the outside of it. There's also a bit of spine stress that breaks color. Would I grade this 9.2? Probably not, but someone at CGC thought so. Who am I to argue?  

I hope this helps, and please have a nice evening...

Edited by The Lions Den

thanks for the reply.   I also  believe that the 9.2 book was not a 9.2.   I attached another link of a 8.5 for the same book and I would grade the 8.5 higher than the 9.2   

https://www.ebay.com/itm/GHOST-RIDER-1-CGC-8-5-WP-1st-SON-OF-SATAN-UNDER-GRADED-SEE-OUR-9-2-AUCTION-/283494880372?oid=283494568560

If this was football I would challenge the grade and risk losing a time out.

Thanks again...

30 minutes ago, Tarn Kronos said:

thanks for the reply.   I also  believe that the 9.2 book was not a 9.2.   I attached another link of a 8.5 for the same book and I would grade the 8.5 higher than the 9.2   

https://www.ebay.com/itm/GHOST-RIDER-1-CGC-8-5-WP-1st-SON-OF-SATAN-UNDER-GRADED-SEE-OUR-9-2-AUCTION-/283494880372?oid=283494568560

Thanks again...

You're welcome. Sometimes books look nicer in the holder than they really are...

16 hours ago, Tarn Kronos said:

I was interested in bidding on a CGC Graded book that will expire in about one hour but it looks like a scam.   Yes, I know "dont' bid on it then" but I believe if there is criminal activity going on then those should be prosecuted.   You guys please be the judge if CGC would actually give this book a 9.2??   thanks...    If its seems wrong please pass this onto whomever in CGC that can further advise in false CGC knockoff's and comment.   thx again.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/GHOST-RIDER-1-CGC-9-2-WHITE-PAGES-1st-FIRST-SON-OF-SATAN-BEAUTIFUL-COPY/283494568560

Too many people are too quick to call scam. While it's certainly not impossible, the odds are against there being the kind of scam you're referring to.

It's the Razor.

On 6/2/2019 at 10:56 PM, Tarn Kronos said:

Thanks again...

Not all 9.2s (or any grade for that matter) are created equal, not do they necessarily look the same. I've seen 9.2s that look barely 9.0 and I've seen 9.0s that look more like 9.4s/9.6s 

Just because you think it isn't a 9.2 doesn't mean it isn't. Could it be a 9.0 sitting in a 9.2 slab? Sure it could. It's not like that's never happened before. CGC has gone through looser and tighter grading cycles in its history. However, to call it a scam is quite a stretch. 

What boggles my mind is that you looked at that book, didn't agree with the grade, and discounted all other possibilities and went right to 'scam' as the answer. ???  

Edited by Jeffro™

40 minutes ago, Jeffro™ said:

Not all 9.2s (or any grade for that matter) are created equal, not do they necessarily look the same. I've seen 9.2s that look barely 9.0 and I've seen 9.0s that look more like 9.4s/9.6s 

Just because you think it isn't a 9.2 doesn't mean it isn't. Could it be a 9.0 sitting in a 9.2 slab? Sure it could. It's not like that's never happened before. CGC has gone through looser and tighter grading cycles in its history. However, to call it a scam is quite a stretch. 

If he wasn't 100% sure it's a scam, then he certainly wouldn't have posted it in more than 1 topic!

On 6/21/2019 at 9:28 PM, Ride the Tiger said:

With all those high dollar sales and a perfect record the word scam doesn't even cross my mind. This seller is as legit as MC Hammer.

Whew, at least you didn’t say, “...as legit as Milli Vanilli.”