• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Did Anyone See This Dave Cockrum Phoenix Auction And Realize What It Was?
1 1

3 posts in this topic

Below is an auction that I didn't realize what it was until I read Taschen's 75 years of Marvel. In the book I saw several preliminary drawings for the new character, Phoenix. They were from Dave Cockrum's own drawings and the ones in the book didn't have her in the final costume. The eBay auction did and I believe it was from his original concept drawings based on the pose and dimensions of the trimmed media it was designed on. Someone not only got a piece of history but also a bargain! Compare yourselves and comment what you think.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Phoenix-Original-Art-Signed-by-Dave-Cockrum-1976-/173834031737?_trksid=p2047675.m43663.l44720&nordt=true&rt=nc&orig_cvip=true

75Years.jpg

Phoenix.jpg

Edited by TellshiarMarvelmaniaCollector

I'm not sure about that. She debuted in X-Men 101, which was cover dated October, 1976. That means it came out in July. So the sketch could have been done after the issue came out, and its not one of the preliminary sketches you are discussing above.

The original owner got the piece several weeks after the Marvel Convention (4/1976), so it was before the issue debuted. I wish I could ask Dave about, but his wife Patty might know. Her pose is identical to the preliminaries and I have never seen that stance anywhere else.

I found something cool 10 years ago. Not many people realize that Dracula's first debut for the (selected) public was a Christmas Card sent by Marvel Comics. Marie Severin did the art work in Mid-November and his 1st Appearance was TOD #1 (April), which really was January: The card was mailed in early-December. I asked Stan Lee about it but he couldn't remember and said "OOPS", you got yourself a NO-Prize". Check it out below.

HolidayCardMarvel.jpg

Edited by TellshiarMarvelmaniaCollector