• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PGM ASM #4
1 1

23 posts in this topic

I bought this a few years ago already graded and am finally getting around to debating whether to resubmit after a pressing. This was graded back in 2007. Here are the grader notes:

Off-White Pages

Bottom Front Cover Heavy Multiple Dent
Left Center Front Cover Large Crease
Left Top Back Cover Small Bend
Right Top Front Cover Small Bend
Spine Stress Lines Breaks Color
Top Front Cover Heavy Multiple Dent
Top Front Cover Large Crease

Top Spine Wear Breaks Color

Do you guys think I have a chance at an 8.5?

0501190118b.jpg

0330191507d.jpg

0330191507e.jpg

0330191507b.jpg

0330191507c.jpg

0330191507f.jpg

0330191507g.jpg

8 hours ago, Darkwing7869 said:

I bought this a few years ago already graded and am finally getting around to debating whether to resubmit after a pressing. This was graded back in 2007. Here are the grader notes:

Off-White Pages

Bottom Front Cover Heavy Multiple Dent
Left Center Front Cover Large Crease
Left Top Back Cover Small Bend
Right Top Front Cover Small Bend
Spine Stress Lines Breaks Color
Top Front Cover Heavy Multiple Dent
Top Front Cover Large Crease

Top Spine Wear Breaks Color

Do you guys think I have a chance at an 8.5?

I'm very far from an expert, but I do think you have a chance.

The book looks immaculate. I'm having a hard time understanding how these grader notes could apply to this book. Are you sure those are the right notes?

They are the notes associated with the cgc number and book but you never know if thats accurate. I agree, even holding in my hands under a bright light I couldnt see any of the dents or creases through the slab that they mention. I can kinda make out some slight denting/creasing near the spine like it had been stacked vertically prior to grading so a pressing would get rid of that. But other than that I cant find any of the other flaws.

21 minutes ago, Darkwing7869 said:

They are the notes associated with the cgc number and book but you never know if thats accurate. I agree, even holding in my hands under a bright light I couldnt see any of the dents or creases through the slab that they mention. I can kinda make out some slight denting/creasing near the spine like it had been stacked vertically prior to grading so a pressing would get rid of that. But other than that I cant find any of the other flaws.

I dunno for sure but the notes sound like a mistake. The repeated language of "heavy", "multiple", "large" makes it sound like they're describing a VG-range book, not VF.  (shrug)

3 hours ago, Point Five said:

I dunno for sure but the notes sound like a mistake. The repeated language of "heavy", "multiple", "large" makes it sound like they're describing a VG-range book, not VF.  (shrug)

That's a lot of notes for a VF. And you're right---the words heavy, multiple and large make it sound like a low grade book. This is a pretty darn nice copy of an early Silver Age classic. I like it just the way it is, but it's your call...

Edited by The Lions Den

40 minutes ago, The Lions Den said:

That's a lot of notes for a VF. And you're right---the words heavy, multiple and large make it sound like a low grade book. This is a pretty darn nice copy of an early Silver-Age classic. I like it just the way it is, but it's your call...

"Heavy, multiple and large" sounds like a description of The Hulks bowel movements after an all night chili eating contest. 

Edited by ivegotneatstuff

I think it has a shot at a 8.5, I would submit with a press. best of luck

3 hours ago, comicginger1789 said:

I would do it. I think 8.5 is obtainable. I will second the confusion with the grader notes...where is this large crease on the front cover!?!

Agree,not any kind of expert, but the notes don't match what we are seeing,unless it was graded by a Catholic Nun 

who was having a bad day and really mad at the time.

On 6/26/2019 at 2:27 PM, Karl Liebl said:

So, how much money did you spend to get a .5 grade increase?  I think it will come back as an 8 again and you will be at least 200 bucks poorer...

Its definitely a gamble but with a ridiculously huge payoff if it pays off. A 0.5 increase from an 8.0 to an 8.5 on an ASM #4 translate to around a $3500 increase on value. I definitely think it hits at least an 8.5. Before I sent it in I did a side-by-side comparison with some of my graded 9.0s and this copy looked better than nearly all of them. 

So the gamble paid off BIG TIME. 9.0 baby!!! Couldn't be happier. Oddly enough, the grader notes still show them seeing a very light crease in the center of the front cover that breaks color that I still can't find. But all in all, a fantastic, albeit terrifying experience. Thank you guys for all the feedback. I'm sure I would not have taken the risk without so many reaffirming opinions. Them taking two months for an Express order, on the other hand, definitely not so fantastic haha. 

0827192117a.jpg

Edited by Darkwing7869