PGM ASM #4
1 1

23 posts in this topic

47 posts

I bought this a few years ago already graded and am finally getting around to debating whether to resubmit after a pressing. This was graded back in 2007. Here are the grader notes:

Off-White Pages

Bottom Front Cover Heavy Multiple Dent
Left Center Front Cover Large Crease
Left Top Back Cover Small Bend
Right Top Front Cover Small Bend
Spine Stress Lines Breaks Color
Top Front Cover Heavy Multiple Dent
Top Front Cover Large Crease

Top Spine Wear Breaks Color

 

Do you guys think I have a chance at an 8.5?

0501190118b.jpg

0330191507d.jpg

0330191507e.jpg

0330191507b.jpg

0330191507c.jpg

0330191507f.jpg

0330191507g.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12,645 posts
8 hours ago, Darkwing7869 said:

I bought this a few years ago already graded and am finally getting around to debating whether to resubmit after a pressing. This was graded back in 2007. Here are the grader notes:

Off-White Pages

Bottom Front Cover Heavy Multiple Dent
Left Center Front Cover Large Crease
Left Top Back Cover Small Bend
Right Top Front Cover Small Bend
Spine Stress Lines Breaks Color
Top Front Cover Heavy Multiple Dent
Top Front Cover Large Crease

Top Spine Wear Breaks Color

 

Do you guys think I have a chance at an 8.5?

I'm very far from an expert, but I do think you have a chance.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25,692 posts

The book looks immaculate. I'm having a hard time understanding how these grader notes could apply to this book. Are you sure those are the right notes?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,192 posts

I would do it. I think 8.5 is obtainable. I will second the confusion with the grader notes...where is this large crease on the front cover!?!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 posts

They are the notes associated with the cgc number and book but you never know if thats accurate. I agree, even holding in my hands under a bright light I couldnt see any of the dents or creases through the slab that they mention. I can kinda make out some slight denting/creasing near the spine like it had been stacked vertically prior to grading so a pressing would get rid of that. But other than that I cant find any of the other flaws.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25,692 posts
21 minutes ago, Darkwing7869 said:

They are the notes associated with the cgc number and book but you never know if thats accurate. I agree, even holding in my hands under a bright light I couldnt see any of the dents or creases through the slab that they mention. I can kinda make out some slight denting/creasing near the spine like it had been stacked vertically prior to grading so a pressing would get rid of that. But other than that I cant find any of the other flaws.

I dunno for sure but the notes sound like a mistake. The repeated language of "heavy", "multiple", "large" makes it sound like they're describing a VG-range book, not VF.  (shrug)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,968 posts
3 hours ago, Point Five said:

I dunno for sure but the notes sound like a mistake. The repeated language of "heavy", "multiple", "large" makes it sound like they're describing a VG-range book, not VF.  (shrug)

That's a lot of notes for a VF. And you're right---the words heavy, multiple and large make it sound like a low grade book. This is a pretty darn nice copy of an early Silver Age classic. I like it just the way it is, but it's your call...

Edited by The Lions Den

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,465 posts
40 minutes ago, The Lions Den said:

That's a lot of notes for a VF. And you're right---the words heavy, multiple and large make it sound like a low grade book. This is a pretty darn nice copy of an early Silver-Age classic. I like it just the way it is, but it's your call...

"Heavy, multiple and large" sounds like a description of The Hulks bowel movements after an all night chili eating contest. 

Edited by ivegotneatstuff

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,258 posts

I think it has a shot at a 8.5, I would submit with a press. best of luck

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
101 posts
3 hours ago, comicginger1789 said:

I would do it. I think 8.5 is obtainable. I will second the confusion with the grader notes...where is this large crease on the front cover!?!

Agree,not any kind of expert, but the notes don't match what we are seeing,unless it was graded by a Catholic Nun 

who was having a bad day and really mad at the time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 posts

Welp. I sent it in to be pressed and regraded. Wish me luck. I will update when I get it back. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,104 posts

So, how much money did you spend to get a .5 grade increase?  I think it will come back as an 8 again and you will be at least 200 bucks poorer...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
560 posts
On 6/26/2019 at 2:08 PM, Darkwing7869 said:

Welp. I sent it in to be pressed and regraded. Wish me luck. I will update when I get it back. 

May the Force be with you! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 posts
On 6/26/2019 at 2:27 PM, Karl Liebl said:

So, how much money did you spend to get a .5 grade increase?  I think it will come back as an 8 again and you will be at least 200 bucks poorer...

Its definitely a gamble but with a ridiculously huge payoff if it pays off. A 0.5 increase from an 8.0 to an 8.5 on an ASM #4 translate to around a $3500 increase on value. I definitely think it hits at least an 8.5. Before I sent it in I did a side-by-side comparison with some of my graded 9.0s and this copy looked better than nearly all of them. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12,063 posts

Best of luck with the re-sub (thumbsu

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 posts

So the gamble paid off BIG TIME. 9.0 baby!!! Couldn't be happier. Oddly enough, the grader notes still show them seeing a very light crease in the center of the front cover that breaks color that I still can't find. But all in all, a fantastic, albeit terrifying experience. Thank you guys for all the feedback. I'm sure I would not have taken the risk without so many reaffirming opinions. Them taking two months for an Express order, on the other hand, definitely not so fantastic haha. 

0827192117a.jpg

Edited by Darkwing7869

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,258 posts

congrats nice CPR

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
1 1