• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

American Pickers and those Bruce Minney covers...

38 posts in this topic

We get this show quite a bit after it airs in the USA but can anyone tell me of the 'comic expert' they use is a real person (not an actor)?

The last show had the Bruce Minney collection 'find'.

The guy appraised this O/A cover as a $1000 piece...

20982995796_e0f56bba13_b.jpg.c69a3f692af6db15a57747f7305c9eb0.jpg

And this at 2k

b5070ccde4d4170c78af821eba3450e0.jpg.fc9c7ce93d19920b38b69f6e724844fa.jpg

Anyone know the 'real' story behind these covers?

I know a lot ended up at the Grapefruit Moon Gallery in Minneapolis - all sold now of course.

I would have thought the signed OA would have been worth much,much more than the quoted price - I know it's a 'reality show' but still........

So - was this a 'real' find, or was it all staged for TV?

Thanks for any info!

Edited by Beige
spelling

7 minutes ago, TwoPiece said:

The same should be said about 99% of television. That includes the precious "news".

Discovery and History seem to be the only channels with any informative TV shows.

Isn't the show in the OP on History? lol

5 hours ago, Timely said:

100% staged! I know because I called the show and offered to buy the covers and was told they are part of Mike and Frank's permanent collection. I then asked if I could buy the ones they left behind and they said they were not allowed to give out the guys information due to privacy laws. I then asked if they would please contact him on my behalf and give the guy my contact info so he could call me. They never replied. It's a total hoax!

That being said, it's still fun to watch, but believe nothing you see! 

I'm not saying the show isn't staged (I have no clue). nor do I specifically recall this episode, but how do the items being in Mike and Frank's collection mean it's fake?

2 minutes ago, manetteska said:

I'm not saying the show isn't staged (I have no clue). nor do I specifically recall this episode, but how do the items being in Mike and Frank's collection mean it's fake?

i assume he means the setup of the discovery is fake.

or at least a reenactment...or maybe theres some "seeding" of items for them to  "find"

2 minutes ago, miraclemet said:
6 minutes ago, manetteska said:

i assume he means the setup of the discovery is fake.

or at least a reenactment...or maybe theres some "seeding" of items for them to  "find"

True, but it could go the other way. They find something cool in the wild, buy it, and decide to keep it.

Need more background to know the order of events.

4 hours ago, Jeffro™ said:

At this point, well even long before now, you have to assume that all "reality" shows are staged.

And the History channel was far better when they were interested in, you know, History and not aliens and batpoop conspiracy theory shows

The only reality I ever saw on a reality show was inside The Ultimate Fighter's octagon.

At least we still have The Learning Channel :insane:

1 hour ago, TwoPiece said:

I think they're saying the "comic expert" is a fake and gives completely manufactured appraisal values.

OP asked both questions: Is the comic expert real and Is the find real.

I'm uncertain what Timely is saying/answering, hence my question back to him.

Thanks all!

It was awesome to see them - I guessed they were 'planted' - nice to get a backstory from @Timely as well.

I agree - it is a cool show - shows us abroad your beautiful country and some brilliant car/motorcycle history and things.

I'd have loved to have bought one!

17 hours ago, Beige said:

We get this show quite a bit after it airs in the USA but can anyone tell me of the 'comic expert' they use is a real person (not an actor)?

The last show had the Bruce Minney collection 'find'.

The guy appraised this O/A cover as a $1000 piece...

b5070ccde4d4170c78af821eba3450e0.jpg.fc9c7ce93d19920b38b69f6e724844fa.jpg

What does it say if I really, really like the Nazis terrorizing girls covers like this? I mean even as a little kid. 

I live near Nashville so I've been to their new "store" here. I'm not sure what they sell, it's a t-shirt shop just well decorated with alot of antiques labeled NFS. I think they mostly have alot of corporate contracts like TGI Fridays or something.

5 hours ago, manetteska said:

True, but it could go the other way. They find something cool in the wild, buy it, and decide to keep it.

Need more background to know the order of events.

Isn't the episode a re-run from prior years?  I recall seeing it, but don't think it was new.

They do, for sure, call around and scope the landscape before rolling in on a location.  Who wouldn't.