• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

American Pickers and those Bruce Minney covers...

38 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, NoMan said:

What does it say if I really, really like the Nazis terrorizing girls covers like this? I mean even as a little kid. 

Says right there in the title about you: 10 ways to find out if you are sexually maladjusted! you only need 1 way to figure it out for yourself! :roflmao:

I never knew these books were a thing!!!

5 hours ago, comics4all said:

Says right there in the title about you: 10 ways to find out if you are sexually maladjusted! you only need 1 way to figure it out for yourself! :roflmao:

I never knew these books were a thing!!!

Yeah, they are a thing - and go for decent $$$ on the rare instance we are 'lucky' enough to find one.

Which isn't very often.

I can't recall seeing one for sale on the wild for at least 5 years.

A VFN copy with an 'interesting' cover will easily fetch $50 - $100 each.

7 hours ago, Beige said:

Yeah, they are a thing - and go for decent $$$ on the rare instance we are 'lucky' enough to find one.

Which isn't very often.

I can't recall seeing one for sale on the wild for at least 5 years.

A VFN copy with an 'interesting' cover will easily fetch $50 - $100 each.

Wow! I gotta keep an eye out @ garage sales for these! 

15 hours ago, NoMan said:

What does it say if I really, really like the Nazis terrorizing girls covers like this? I mean even as a little kid. 

:fear:

Also I remember American pickers coming across a spidey collection and I think they got a AF 15 and sold it on the show I was always wondering if that was a set up. 

https://comicbook.com/blog/2012/11/12/american-pickers-mike-wolfe-picks-amazing-fantasy-15/

The show is meant for pure entertainment value only.

They need to vet out finds and collections, so the pickers don't end up going to "dead end" places that have nothing of interest and value.

I don't mind if the show plans ahead and showcases the best stuff they bought. Even if it was something significant that they bought from a past find and want to recreate it (before the TV show started). They should probably put a disclaimer though, before an episode starts, that they are recreating a past find.

What is not acceptable is the producers "planting" items that were not part of the original collections/finds they look at. I believe one of the storage unit shows got in trouble for doing that.

On the very early episodes, the pickers were getting blasted on message boards for low balling sellers on items. I think the producers caught onto this and wanted to paint the guys in a more positive light. More recent years/episodes show the pickers paying more than a seller's asking price for fair market value.  I also remember an episode with carnival posters, that the pickers went back to the seller and gave him more money than originally paid because an appraiser gave them high value estimates.

I think Gene Carpenter ended up with the Amazing Fantasy 15 from the show and had it up for sale recently (don't know if Gene bought it direct or if it ended up selling)

1 hour ago, DanCooper said:

They need to vet out finds and collections, so the pickers don't end up going to "dead end" places that have nothing of interest and value.

I don't mind if the show plans ahead and showcases the best stuff they bought. Even if it was something significant that they bought from a past find and want to recreate it (before the TV show started). They should probably put a disclaimer though, before an episode starts, that they are recreating a past find.

What is not acceptable is the producers "planting" items that were not part of the original collections/finds they look at. I believe one of the storage unit shows got in trouble for doing that.

On the very early episodes, the pickers were getting blasted on message boards for low balling sellers on items. I think the producers caught onto this and wanted to paint the guys in a more positive light. More recent years/episodes show the pickers paying more than a seller's asking price for fair market value.  I also remember an episode with carnival posters, that the pickers went back to the seller and gave him more money than originally paid because an appraiser gave them high value estimates.

I think Gene Carpenter ended up with the Amazing Fantasy 15 from the show and had it up for sale recently (don't know if Gene bought it direct or if it ended up selling)

Yeah I don't mind if they research a place before they go or re enact the purchase as I understand no one would want to watch a show where they hit dead ends and don't find or buy anything cool. 

So I am guessing that AF 15 purchase was legit then. 

7 hours ago, DanCooper said:

Yup. It was Storage Wars and they were “salting” the lockers with items. The Dave Hester lawsuit brought all this into the public eye including payouts for *ahem* “enhancements” to certain cast member attributes.

On 6/4/2019 at 8:07 AM, B3AST said:

I live near Nashville so I've been to their new "store" here. I'm not sure what they sell, it's a t-shirt shop just well decorated with alot of antiques labeled NFS. I think they mostly have alot of corporate contracts like TGI Fridays or something.

So all the signs and stuff are bought to sell to chain restaurants and bars in pre-arranged contracts?

That explains the neon music/radio/alcohol related signage - but they literally buy 1000's of Car/Bike/Motoring signs - where do they sell those?

I always assumed they had an online store (pretty obvious as the blond woman in the Nashville store is a terrible actress who couldn't sell anything if she tried - was she even in the Store when you went?) and I knew the Colby lady was a burlesque dancer who used Frank and Mike to get her stuff for her shows and clothing range, but I (obviously wrongly) thought they would have a huge online auction every month or so.

I know Mike wears those godawful jackets and shirts as they are his clothing line.

Makes you wonder if they actually buy anything at all except stuff they are contracted to by chains like TGIF etc.

Thanks for the info.(thumbsu

13 hours ago, Krishosein said:

Yeah I don't mind if they research a place before they go or re enact the purchase as I understand no one would want to watch a show where they hit dead ends and don't find or buy anything cool. 

So I am guessing that AF 15 purchase was legit then. 

Why did they not even look at the Hulk #1 and TOS #39 in the same cabinet though - you could clearly see them.

I just winced at the handling of that AF #15 - especially by the large 'comic expert guy' at his 'appraisal'

Anyone know what grade it got?

Thanks!

8 hours ago, Beige said:

So all the signs and stuff are bought to sell to chain restaurants and bars in pre-arranged contracts?

That explains the neon music/radio/alcohol related signage - but they literally buy 1000's of Car/Bike/Motoring signs - where do they sell those?

I always assumed they had an online store (pretty obvious as the blond woman in the Nashville store is a terrible actress who couldn't sell anything if she tried - was she even in the Store when you went?) and I knew the Colby lady was a burlesque dancer who used Frank and Mike to get her stuff for her shows and clothing range, but I (obviously wrongly) thought they would have a huge online auction every month or so.

I know Mike wears those godawful jackets and shirts as they are his clothing line.

Makes you wonder if they actually buy anything at all except stuff they are contracted to by chains like TGIF etc.

Thanks for the info.(thumbsu

I think they might have some contacts and some of the stuff is probably sold through other collectors etc.. but I am sure a lot of the big deals or some deals are staged to make the show exciting and fun to watch. They have been doing this show for a long time I am sure they have many collectors reaching out to them about stuff and might have a list of stuff that collectors want and if they find a location that has it the producers would probably set up a "pick" but they probably are not taking much risk in their purchases as they probably have a buyer already. Its probably a great business model. 

Here's a hint.....it probably is a set up if they're showing the camera FROM INSIDE THE BARN :roflmao:.

The only show like this that is real is Antiques Roadshow - and that's only "real" because they're doing a zillion appraisals to get the five things to show per night.

1 hour ago, FlyingDonut said:

Here's a hint.....it probably is a set up if they're showing the camera FROM INSIDE THE BARN :roflmao:.

The only show like this that is real is Antiques Roadshow - and that's only "real" because they're doing a zillion appraisals to get the five things to show per night.

Are you giving screen direction to the camera? I'm not following you, sir. 

The AF 15 was purchased from a shop in Boyertown Pennsylvania .Itwas mentioned in the local newspaper that the chamber of Commerce got a letter from the producers  asking something like if they knew of anyone interesting in the area that might have some stuff for sale and they directed the pickers to the guy on the show.  There was a thread on the board talking about this when the show came out and if I remember correctly  somebody posted what the book sold for and what grade it was 

10 minutes ago, 1webslinger said:

The AF 15 was purchased from a shop in Boyertown Pennsylvania .Itwas mentioned in the local newspaper that the chamber of Commerce got a letter from the producers  asking something like if they knew of anyone interesting in the area that might have some stuff for sale and they directed the pickers to the guy on the show.  There was a thread on the board talking about this when the show came out and if I remember correctly  somebody posted what the book sold for and what grade it was 

:foryou: was this it?

FWIW - I do know that they purchased a fairly large collection of vintage motorcycles (harleys, indians) and paraphernalia from a family here in Ohio after the grandfather passed away. They didn't do any filming because the collection was very well maintained and not enough of a "barn find". I have a friend that had seen the collection and was friends with the family and is pretty knowledgeable about bikes and he has told me a couple of times he has seen some of the bikes and memorabilia pop up on the show as "finds". Also I think that the family wanted to maintain some privacy and not have a financial windfall broadcast on national TV.......  

20 hours ago, Beige said:

Why did they not even look at the Hulk #1 and TOS #39 in the same cabinet though - you could clearly see them.

I just winced at the handling of that AF #15 - especially by the large 'comic expert guy' at his 'appraisal'

Anyone know what grade it got?

Thanks!

The appraiser of the AF was the owner or manager (not sure which) of a Nashville comic shop I frequent. 

I tried to buy the AF 15 after the show aired. I called both locations, but got no traction. I don't know what grade it eventually got.