• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Netflix's MAGIC THE GATHERING by Russo Brothers (TBD)
1 1

41 posts in this topic

It looks like the Russo Brothers have found their next passion project outside of the Marvel Cinematic Universe. On the tail end of Avengers: Endgame, the director duo has signed on to a new series, and it is an anime focused on all things Magic: The Gathering.

Yes, that’s right. Netflix and Wizards of the Coast are doing an anime series based on the card game, and the Russo Brothers are jumping on board the project.

“HUGE ANNOUNCEMENT TIME: Netflix and Wizards of the Coast are teaming up with Joe and Anthony Russo to make a Magic: The Gathering anime series and this teaser of Chandra has me asking QUESTIONS,” Netflix tweeted earlier today.

According to new details about the series, Anthony and Joe Russo will executive produce the series. In a newly released statement, the pair shared how excited they are to work on the series and confirmed they are lifelong fans of Magic: The Gathering as well.

“We have been huge fans and players of Magic: The Gathering for as long as it has been around, so being able to help bring these stories to life through animation is a true passion project for us,” the duo said.

So far, there are few details out about the project, but it will focus on the expansive world of Magic: The Gathering and its Planeswalker, which are described as “Magic’s unique magic-wielding heroes and villains as they contend with stakes larger than any one world can hold.”

Now this sounds interesting. I use to play in MTG tournaments back in the 90's. It's where the MTG comes from in my handle. I had all the main cards back in the day & it's where I got my initial investment money to put into comics. The cards changed a lot though & started looking more like Pokemon. I love the originals but haven't played in a long time. MTG was like the modern D&D when I was a teen. They still hold Friday night Magic at my local comic shop.

2 minutes ago, chezmtghut said:

Now this sounds interesting. I use to play in MTG tournaments back in the 90's. It's where the MTG comes from in my handle. I had all the main cards back in the day & it's where I got my initial investment money to put into comics. The cards changed a lot though & started looking more like Pokemon. I love the originals but haven't played in a long time. MTG was like the modern D&D when I was a teen. They still hold Friday night Magic at my local comic shop.

They just created Legends/Planeswalkers for Serra, Urza, and Yawgmoth. Unfortunately, they're all underwhelming, though.

27 minutes ago, TwoPiece said:

They just created Legends/Planeswalkers for Serra, Urza, and Yawgmoth. Unfortunately, they're all underwhelming, though.

I remember the main early series: Alpha, Beta, Unlimited, Revised, Legends, Arabian Nights, Antiquities. I forget the names of the series that came after even though I still played. Mana Drain & Force of Will were always popular Counter Spells.:cloud9: Loved my old type 1 counter deck. I can't believe how much they went up in value.

Just now, chezmtghut said:

I remember the main early series: Alpha, Beta, Unlimited, Revised, Legends, Arabian Nights, Antiquities. I forget the names of the series that came after even though I still played. Mana Drain & Force of Will were always popular Counter Spells.:cloud9: Loved my old type 1 counter deck. I can't believe how much they went up in value.

Yeah... Force of Will is basically the only thing keeping Vintage a playable format. I have a play-set in a deck with Mana Drains, and Mindbreak Traps + Mental Missteps since a DB we play with uses Storm burn...

My playgroup won't allow Black Lotus even if I could afford one, so I haven't 'reinvested' in one. I have a nice, sexy, rare Black Lotus play-mat though. :cloud9:

I basically have every watered-down ripoff of the Power 9. Lotus Bloom, Ancestral Vision, Mox Diamond, etc. Blue is my go-to color.

17 minutes ago, TwoPiece said:

Yeah... Force of Will is basically the only thing keeping Vintage a playable format. I have a play-set in a deck with Mana Drains, and Mindbreak Traps + Mental Missteps since a DB we play with uses Storm burn...

My playgroup won't allow Black Lotus even if I could afford one, so I haven't 'reinvested' in one. I have a nice, sexy, rare Black Lotus play-mat though. :cloud9:

I basically have every watered-down ripoff of the Power 9. Lotus Bloom, Ancestral Vision, Mox Diamond, etc. Blue is my go-to color.

Not up to date on some of the newer cards but I remember Mox diamond. I had 2 sets of Power 9's both white boarder Unlimited & a black boarder mix of Alpha/Beta. loved Juzam Djinn also. Really miss my old collection when I think about it. So many amazing cards & great art. I had like 20 or 30 Rishadan Ports at one point with 4 foil's.

Edited by chezmtghut

1 hour ago, Pete Marino said:

There better be some rage quits and arguments over whether the Chaos Orb touched something!

And at least 1 wizard walking around with a Stasis deck!

I heard a story back in the 90’s that someone tore their chaos orb into to pieces while using it at a tournament to destroy all of his opponents cards. Apparently that move won him the tournament. 

Edited by chezmtghut

20 minutes ago, chezmtghut said:

I heard a story back in the 90’s that someone tore their chaos orb into to pieces while using it at a tournament to destroy all of his opponents cards. Apparently that move won him the tournament. 

Correct. It is a legal move.

1 minute ago, Sauce Dog said:

Especially when using Chaos Confetti :D

Pretty sure my playgroup 'legalized' Blacker Lotus, only because it is useless after it's destruction. lol

Chaos Orb has actually been illegal since that infamous play. It spread like wildfire and WotC quickly lowered the Ban Hammer to keep sanctioned tournaments healthy.

I haven't played a sanctioned game since Shadowmoor, IIRC.

1 minute ago, TwoPiece said:

Pretty sure my playgroup 'legalized' Blacker Lotus, only because it is useless after it's destruction. lol

Chaos Orb has actually been illegal since that infamous play. It spread like wildfire and WotC quickly lowered the Ban Hammer to keep sanctioned tournaments healthy.

I haven't played a sanctioned game since Shadowmoor, IIRC.

If you are looking to keeping flipping your orb, Chaos Orb is legal in Old School format - where it is the best form of removal (I run mine in a green/red deck)