• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Netflix's MAGIC THE GATHERING by Russo Brothers (TBD)
1 1

41 posts in this topic

38 minutes ago, Sauce Dog said:

Old School is a side format, not sanctioned but you can still find it being played at some GP's as side events or in your city by local play groups (much like Pauper was for the longest time, but that format is now becoming sanctioned online)

Ooooooooooh.

Do I want to spend somewhere in the $400-range for a card that I'm gonna destroy..? Easy pass. lol

Just now, Sauce Dog said:

$400 range...ahhahahaa oh man, you really have been away from the game for awhile :D 

I haven't been away from the game at all (other than sanctioned tournaments)! I play every Monday.

Google Shopping search shows Chaos Orb in the $400-range.

I guess, at TCGplayer, it looks like those are the non-tournament legal editions...

Just now, TwoPiece said:

I haven't been away from the game at all (other than sanctioned tournaments)! I play every Monday.

Google Shopping search shows Chaos Orb in the $400-range.

I guess, at TCGplayer, it looks like those are the non-tournament legal editions...

Yeah, the $400 range for orbs is actual where you risk it being in such condition it isn't even legal in non-sanctioned formats (it has to be playable in a sleeve at the very least, and with the orb you get lots of warped ones due to play - in need of a pressing!). Typical cost for a low end but playable orb should be around $600-$700 (unlimited version) or just a $4 proxy will do since those are allowed in non-sanctioned old school games (most groups will allow a certain number of proxies for the decks so everyone can play easily)

Just now, Sauce Dog said:

Yeah, the $400 range for orbs is actual where you risk it being in such condition it isn't even legal in non-sanctioned formats (it has to be playable in a sleeve at the very least, and with the orb you get lots of warped ones due to play - in need of a pressing!). Typical cost for a low end but playable orb should be around $600-$700 (unlimited version) or just a $4 proxy will do since those are allowed in non-sanctioned old school games (most groups will allow a certain number of proxies for the decks so everyone can play easily)

Oh :censored: - you just gave me a new business idea...

I still have 2 Mana Drain proxies in my Jace deck because I haven't bought the Iconic Masters editions to replace my sold Judge Foils...

Haha yeah, i've done pressing for cards as well since I already have the comic setup (also dry cleaning cards, especially helpful for white border dual lands to get em looking much better). Pressing warped modern foils comes up often (though only for pre-grading submission, as you cannot ever bank on them keeping the flat shape for long)

Edited by Sauce Dog

2 minutes ago, Sauce Dog said:

Haha yeah, i've done pressing for cards as well since I already have the comic setup (also dry cleaning cards, especially helpful for white border dual lands to get em looking much better). Pressing warped modern foils comes up often (though only for pre-grading submission, as you cannot ever bank on them keeping the flat shape for long)

:pullhair:

I would definitely want to use proxies. My type 1 deck use to be worth somewhere in the 5k range around 15 - 20 years ago. I would imagine the same cards being in 100k range today. Just dual lands alone are insanely expensive. Revised were like $10 - $25 depending on the card & grade back then. 

15 hours ago, chezmtghut said:

I would definitely want to use proxies. My type 1 deck use to be worth somewhere in the 5k range around 15 - 20 years ago. I would imagine the same cards being in 100k range today. Just dual lands alone are insanely expensive. Revised were like $10 - $25 depending on the card & grade back then. 

(worship)

Nice - you must be happy with the slew of new Slivers which have been spoiled for the latest set this week. This has made the prices of all the prior Legendary slivers climb (again). Sliver Queen is going for around $200 now, and Sliver Legion over $100

Also I would be 100% happy if Slivers were in this movie as some faceless multitude that the gatewatch must go to war against (pretty much Starship Troopers but with magic)

17 minutes ago, Sauce Dog said:

Nice - you must be happy with the slew of new Slivers which have been spoiled for the latest set this week. This has made the prices of all the prior Legendary slivers climb (again). Sliver Queen is going for around $200 now, and Sliver Legion over $100

Also I would be 100% happy if Slivers were in this movie as some faceless multitude that the gatewatch must go to war against (pretty much Starship Troopers but with magic)

Actually - no. There's only as few (as opposed to full cycles) of them and they're underwhelming IMO.

Not to mention that my Sliver Commander deck is also all-foil, and for whatever reason, this set doesn't have foil cards...

Edit 1: I couldn't pre-order a foil First Sliver, but it appears that they will be available, so I'll end up getting 1 of him. The other ones are 'meh'.

Edit 2: And now I'm seeing mono-colored cycles. The previews for this set are weird and incomplete. Idk wtf is going on.

Edited by TwoPiece

5 minutes ago, TwoPiece said:

Not to mention that my Sliver Commander deck is also all-foil, and for whatever reason, this set doesn't have foil cards...

Buh? Where did you hear that, there are foils for all cards in Modern Horizons and you can even preorder them all right now - also the First Sliver seems pretty bonkers.

2 minutes ago, Sauce Dog said:

Buh? Where did you hear that, there are foils for all cards in Modern Horizons and you can even preorder them all right now - also the First Sliver seems pretty bonkers.

I edited my post twice. For whatever reason, the sites I mainly peruse did not show all of the Slivers (despite the spoilers being allegedly "complete"), and I also couldn't find a site with foils for pre-orders.

I'll likely get The First Sliver and a play-set of the mono-colored uncommon cycle.

Following the departure of Joe and Anthony Russo from the “Magic: The Gathering” project, Netflix has tapped Jeff Kline (“Transformers: Prime”) to executive produce and lead a new creative team for the CG-animated adaptation of the collectible fantasy trading card game.

The show was first announced in June 2019. The Russos — known for their work on the Marvel Cinematic Universe entries “Captain America: The Winter Soldier,” “Captain America: Civil War,” “Avengers: Infinity Wars,” and “Avengers: Endgame”–  were slated to executive produce the series and oversee the development of an all-new storyline that expands on the stories of the Planeswalkers, which are the game’s magic-wielding heroes and villains. Henry Gilroy and Jose Molina were to serve as writers and co-executive producers. Reportedly, the Russos and their creative team left the series over creative differences in handling the intellectual property. The Russo brothers were involved in passing the baton to Kline, and the streaming platform confirmed that the transition was amicable. 

WOW...memory lane in this thread! Still kick myself for selling my MTG collection. I could have bought a lakehouse with those cards today. 

Can't wait to see the animated show!