• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CGC/etc Labels

8 posts in this topic

A couple brain busters...

I've been finding myself becoming more attracted to the older CGC labels for some reason (particularly on Silver Age books I've been watching). Are there any here that specifically collect older-label CGC slabs?

Voldemort has a decent label, but PGX's is just hideous. Why haven't they considered redesigning them in an effort to make their products more attractive?

Is it because they ordered 10,000 of them on startup and haven't had to print that many yet? lol

I'm trying to swear off books encapsulated after 2016 due to SCS until CGC fixes their slabs.

I don't really care about the label version, because most of what I keep I crack out and put in a M2 with FB.

I probably avoid CBSC because their grading usually looks suspect, with consistent over-grading, although I have bought 4-5 of their slabs, but really examined them closely before I did.  Really haven't had a problem with PGX books - their "consistency" in grading seems to be about the same as CGC. Their labels are putrid though.

While I like the improved clarity of the new generation of slabs, I like the old labels because they don't have a gigantic billboard sized number that draws your focus to it instead of the book.

Only complaint with the old labels was the serial number is too small to see without my glasses.

AAF_10.thumb.jpg.7bd32f26ddc3230b122f215d85ea563a.jpg

57 minutes ago, bc said:

While I like the improved clarity of the new generation of slabs, I like the old labels because they don't have a gigantic billboard sized number that draws your focus to it instead of the book.

Only complaint with the old labels was the serial number is too small to see without my glasses.

That could be one of the draws for me.

I understand wanting to 'flaunt' the condition of the book, for show/sale/otherwise, but those old labels definitely don't draw any attention away from the real art itself. Good analysis.

I liked the original V-mort label, hated the second (rivets), and like the current ones.  The old CGC labels don't do anything for me, with the 2 part color boxes, as well as the lacking notes.  The current labels are fine, if not eye catching.  It is more about the book, anyway.  I buy graded SA because I want assurances that the books I am spending higher amounts on have been checked for restoration/trimming.  I do not have the eye that many here have.

11 hours ago, TwoPiece said:

A couple brain busters...

I've been finding myself becoming more attracted to the older CGC labels for some reason (particularly on Silver Age books I've been watching). Are there any here that specifically collect older-label CGC slabs?

Voldemort has a decent label, but PGX's is just hideous. Why haven't they considered redesigning them in an effort to make their products more attractive?

Is it because they ordered 10,000 of them on startup and haven't had to print that many yet? lol

PGX has a newish label...without the globe thingy...

8 hours ago, Supa-Bad-Mofo said:

PGX has a newish label...without the globe thingy...

Still looks like poop, though.

CBCS's is alright. I just find that CGC's labels look very nice and add to the appeal of the comics. PGX's looks like it's from and stuck in the 1980's (I can usually see the perforated edges of the paper stock, too).

I think it's the fact of the grade sticker and the shiny CGC sticker. Something about them sticks out positively for me. The other guys' labels just look too plan without any contrast.

I like a nice bagged/boarded book that takes nothing away from the cover art, too. :)