• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PGM Ultra Rare Sgt. Fury 142 35 Cent Variant, CGC confirmation when book returns! ***Grade is in! Scans Posted!***
1 1

20 posts in this topic

Participants will be rewarded with a confirmation of grading prowess when the book returns from CGC in a few weeks!

This book was rough, rough, rough when I bought it. I paid waayyy too much, but this is the only one I've ever seen in 20 years of collecting (I've heard of a few, but never actually laid eyes on them.). Consistently listed as one of the top ten rarest 35 Cent Variants with an estimate of 15-30 still in existence! This book has been pressed, re-aligned and cleaned to the best extent possible and is pictured as such. There is some water staining on 3 interior pages and some staining on the back cover. A bit of light foxing is present on the front and back covers. There is a 1" pressure tear by the "F" in Fury. The book is slightly miscut as well. I have an idea of what I think it will grade...but....Here's your chance to take a shot at a low/mid grade bronze age book and then see if CGC agrees! If nothing else, just for fun! (Sorry the pictures aren't great, but they are all I have.)

1661755643_SgtFury14235CentPriceVariantFrontPressed.jpg.5e54a76b3a7a3764e16b6b85be13824c.jpgimageproxy.php?img=&key=31b352271b3a5a4b1451978316_SgtFury14235CentPriceVariantBackPressed.jpg.1855d8f0729ceda3350d7dc1aa469fb9.jpg

Edited by Supa-Bad-Mofo

7 hours ago, Supa-Bad-Mofo said:

Participants will be rewarded with a confirmation of grading prowess when the book returns from CGC in a few weeks!

This book was rough, rough, rough when I bought it. I paid waayyy too much, but this is the only one I've ever seen in 20 years of collecting (I've heard of a few, but never actually laid eyes on them.). Consistently listed as one of the top ten rarest 35 Cent Variants with an estimate of 15-30 still in existence! This book has been pressed, re-aligned and cleaned to the best extent possible and is pictured as such. There is some water staining on 3 interior pages and some staining on the back cover. A bit of light foxing is present on the front and back covers. There is a 1" pressure tear by the "F" in Fury. The book is slightly miscut as well. I have an idea of what I think it will grade...but....Here's your chance to take a shot at a low grade bronze age book and then see if CGC agrees! If nothing else, just for fun! (Sorry the pictures aren't great, but they are all I have.)imageproxy.php?img=&key=31b352271b3a5a4b

Confirmation bias. :pullhair:

5.0 IMO.

3 hours ago, comicginger1789 said:

I will say 4.0-4.5 with the staining. More towards the 4.0 side but hey, if you get a 4.5 or dare I say a 5.0, you should be elated.

Sounds right to me. Hard to know what the page stains look like; if there are no significant 'tide lines' maybe you get lucky and they press out completely. Just to guess something I'll say 4.0 though.

20 hours ago, Point Five said:

Sounds right to me. Hard to know what the page stains look like; if there are no significant 'tide lines' maybe you get lucky and they press out completely. Just to guess something I'll say 4.0 though.

"Tide lines" unfortunately present...:frown:

4.5 due to interior/exterior stains and FC tear.

Cool pick up! (thumbsu

Just saw that 4.5 guesses were shot down. Personally I would go lower rather than higher, but maybe the grading gods of the CGC smiled upon your rare little gem and gave you a 5.0!

Edited by jcjames