• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Market is Insane
5 5

331 posts in this topic

2 minutes ago, TwoPiece said:

Why would you a buy a 9.8 Silver Age key for 5 figures, when you could get a 9.6 for $8k?

Why buy a 9.6 for $8k when you can get a 9.4 for < $4k?

The prices seemingly continue to cut in half for each grade below. Why the insanity? Especially when the line between grades 9.0 and above are so thin. What is wrong with you people!?

This is, of course, speaking to the graded-comic market and not the raw comic market. Is the raw market any more stable and reasonable?

As for the Raw market I don't think so as I see people bidding on Raw books at the same price as a graded book counting on the Sellers estimated grade being 100% solid; sometimes even higher than a graded book without remembered there are fees and shipping involved in grading and risks.

The Market is HOT:flipbait:

10 minutes ago, TwoPiece said:

Why would you a buy a 9.8 Silver Age key for 5 figures, when you could get a 9.6 for $8k?

The prices seemingly continue to cut in half for each grade below. Why the insanity? Especially when the line between grades 9.0 and above are so thin. What is wrong with you people!?

This is, of course, speaking to the graded-comic market and not the raw comic market. Is the raw market any more stable and reasonable?

To show your weenie is bigger, duh :P

33 minutes ago, TwoPiece said:

I'm having a little fun with it, but yeah its mostly in the name of competition.    Because honestly?   The story reads just as well in a $25k 9.8 vs $500 2.0 vs a $1 reprint

Just now, TwoPiece said:

All it took was 2 replies to derail this thing. lol

I'm disappointed with myself for allowing it to get to the second reply!   :insane:

3 minutes ago, Bronty said:

I'm having a little fun with it, but yeah its mostly in the name of competition.    Because honestly?   The story reads just as well in a $25k 9.8 vs $500 2.0 vs a $1 reprint

I usually buy TPBs nowadays for the stories.

The price differences in high-grade is just kinda mind-blowing based on the small differences in condition. 1 spine tick knocks a book down 4-figures!?

I'm trying to get into acquiring some key SA stuff, and these price differences are just confusing me at times. I'd really like get some 9.8s, but the logical part of my brain is telling me not to bother above 9.4 because it's a waste of money.

1 hour ago, TwoPiece said:

The prices seemingly continue to cut in half for each grade below. Why the insanity?

Which book?

Hypothetically, if there are 10 copies in CGC 9.8 and 30 copies in CGC 9.6, shouldn't the CGC 9.8 be more than double the price? hm

8 minutes ago, valiantman said:

Which book?

Hypothetically, if there are 10 copies in CGC 9.8 and 30 copies in CGC 9.6, shouldn't the CGC 9.8 be more than double the price? hm

Iron Man #1 numbers are the ones I used in the OP, but it's seemingly the same among most SA keys, despite different pyramids of quantity on the census.

I know, it's even worse with Moderns, because a 9.8 may fetch $200 and the 9.6 might only go for $40.

There are smaller differences in price between 8.5 and 9.0 despite being much different in grade (mostly). 9.4 to 9.6 is the matter of a very small defect. It's insanity.

9.8 I can usually understand, since it's the most-common near-Gem grade. It's kinda the 'gold standard'. The drops from there are monstrous.

5 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

It’s all about ego and bragging rights. I would be willing to bet most people couldn’t tell the difference between a 9.6 and a 9.8 out of the slab. CGC is making a killing off our egos. 

I like raw books in the 7-9 range. Books I can actually read and present great. I couldn’t care less what others think and my wallet is a lot happier...

Agreed. Most 7.5+ look NM from a few feet away. There are tons of well-presenting 5.0+, too.