• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Market is Insane
5 5

331 posts in this topic

12 minutes ago, TwoPiece said:
20 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

It’s all about ego and bragging rights. I would be willing to bet most people couldn’t tell the difference between a 9.6 and a 9.8 out of the slab. CGC is making a killing off our egos. 

I like raw books in the 7-9 range. Books I can actually read and present great. I couldn’t care less what others think and my wallet is a lot happier...

Agreed. Most 7.5+ look NM from a few feet away. There are tons of well-presenting 5.0+, too.

Those are called "Near Mint +" when they sell on Ebay raw.

Just now, october said:

I love it. Every time I get a 9.4+ silver age book, I slab it, sell it, and buy a nice presenting VF for my collection if I want to keep a copy....or (more likely) something from the golden age. The minute differences in 9.0 and up are completely meaningless to me, but I am happy to oblige people who want to open up their wallets and chase "perfection". The hobby takes all kinds, luckily. Without these people my collection would be a fraction of what it is.  

:pullhair:

3 minutes ago, Get Marwood & I said:

For the same reason that handbag A is priced at half a million quid, and handbag B is a tenner. Both look nice and can carry your car keys around. But one is made because there are some very very very rich people in the world, and the other is made because the majority aren't. Rich that is. Ditto cars. Shoes. Etc. Anything that can be made will be made with this pricing scenario in mind. £2 coffee. £200 coffee. Etc. 

In respect of comics - graded comics - and I've said this a few times recently - and like sentences with lots of dashes in them - the five figure 9.8 could actually be the 8K 9.6 but for one grading decision on a given day. The next day, it might have been 9.6. Or 9.9. The whole thing is one big pile of nonsense. But a fun one, if you're rich. 

Which I'm not. Hence the Charlton thread. 

Now I'm trying to figure out if the TOS #39 9.4 on eBay is legitimately White PQ.

1 hour ago, Robot Man said:

It’s all about ego and bragging rights. I would be willing to bet most people couldn’t tell the difference between a 9.6 and a 9.8 out of the slab. CGC is making a killing off our egos. 

I like raw books in the 7-9 range. Books I can actually read and present great. I couldn’t care less what others think and my wallet is a lot happier...

I remember I got slammed on the boards a few years ago for saying the exact same thing.

9.8ists insisted there were clear and obvious distinctions between the two IF you knew what you were doing as far as grading.

But yeah, you're right.

9 minutes ago, jcjames said:

I remember I got slammed on the boards a few years ago for saying the exact same thing.

9.8ists insisted there were clear and obvious distinctions between the two IF you knew what you were doing as far as grading.

But yeah, you're right.

I can call 1 book a 9.8 and another a 9.6. If someone disagreed, and called them a 9.6 and a 9.4, I would hesitate to argue.

There's such a small distinction. How can you even debate that narrow amount of subjectivity!?

That's why these ginormous price gaps are killing me. I'll be fine with a great-looking high-grade no matter what. I just wish the top-of-the-line comics weren't so ridiculously out of reach when compared to the books that are barely, if really any, lower in grade.

Edited by TwoPiece
Spelling error.

WTB 10 Gems and 9.9 Mint!!!! lol Min. acceptable grade 9.8, nothing lower than 9.8 ^^

.giphy.gif 

18 minutes ago, TwoPiece said:

I can call 1 book a 9.8 and another a 9.6. If someone disagreed, and called them a 9.6 and a 9.4, I would hesitate to argue.

There's such a small distinction. How can you even debate that narrow amount of subjectivity!?

That's why these ginormous price gaps are killing me. I'll be fine with a great-looking high-grade no matter what. I just wish the top-of-the-line comics weren't so ridiculously out of reach when compared to the books that are barely, if really any, lower in grade.

If the actual differences between grades are borderline arbitrary, why are you wishing the "top-of-the-line" weren't so out of reach?  Buy the 9.6 over the 9.8, or the 9.4 over the 9.6 and enjoy your discount.(shrug)

5 minutes ago, TwoPiece said:

You seem to be caught in your own trap.

One can buy great-looking high-grade SA books without worrying about the top-of-the-line grades & prices. Decouple the two and buy the best book you can afford not worry about the giant number on the label.

And @Get Marwood & I is right, some people just have the disposable income to buy the $200 coffee. I don't care if they do (more power to them), but hope one day I have that luxury.

1 minute ago, bc said:

One can buy great-looking high-grade SA books without worrying about the top-of-the-line grades & prices. Decouple the two and buy the best book you can afford not worry about the giant number on the label.

And @Get Marwood & I is right, some people just have the disposable income to buy the $200 coffee. I don't care if they do (more power to them), but hope one day I have that luxury.

Knowing my luck, I'd win the lottery, buy a £200 coffee and it'd have newton rings 9_9

Did that work? hm

2 minutes ago, Get Marwood & I said:

Knowing my luck, I'd win the lottery, buy a £200 coffee and it'd have newton rings 9_9

Did that work? hm

Yes, it worked as great as Plasma Gasification.

6 minutes ago, THE_BEYONDER said:

If the actual differences between grades are borderline arbitrary, why are you wishing the "top-of-the-line" weren't so out of reach?  Buy the 9.6 over the 9.8, or the 9.4 over the 9.6 and enjoy your discount.(shrug)

Because I typically agree with CGC's assessment, and would prefer the higher grade book if it wasn't ridiculously priced...

Hence the premise of the thread...

7 minutes ago, bc said:

What else is new? lol

Who the :censored: buys $200 coffee?