• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Market is Insane
5 5

331 posts in this topic

10 hours ago, Robot Man said:

This hobo has been saying it for 45 years. Up to now, I’ve been wrong. I do see corrections and resistance. Those with easy to get books in 9.8 will be left holding the bag...

I had to look up the meaning of this, but, yes.

15 hours ago, TwoPiece said:

I think it does, just maybe not as severely as you or some would like. It seems like CGC does not grant Gem Mints or 9.9s to comics that aren't perfectly centered. After the knock down to 9.8, I don't think they take it into further consideration.

That's all conjecture, though.

I was guessing that's what they do as a 9.9 and Gem won't have a off centered comic. So even though the comic is in perfect shape it has to be free of manufacturing defects such as off centered comics to get above a 9.8 probably.

On 6/4/2019 at 9:45 AM, TwoPiece said:

Why would you a buy a 9.8 Silver Age key for 5 figures, when you could get a 9.6 for $8k?

Why buy a 9.6 for $8k when you can get a 9.4 for < $4k?

Why would you buy an $80K car when you can get a $40K car?

Why would you buy a $40K car when you can get a $20K car?

Why would you buy a $20K car when you get get an $8K car?

Why would you buy an $8K car when you can get a $4K car?

Why would you buy a $4K car when you can get a $1K car?

When do you want to stop?

The prices seemingly continue to cut in half for each grade below.

It's been like that forever. People pay multiples for better copies. And as long as the certified market has been established, paying double for the next grade has been the norm.

Are you new to comics?

This is, of course, speaking to the graded-comic market and not the raw comic market. Is the raw market any more stable and reasonable?

People were paying multiples of Guide for raw copies well before certification became established.

The multiple depended on how nice a book was, how desirable it was and how important it was. If you didn't pay the multiple, you didn't get the nice book.

So I'm missing what's different about this market? (shrug)

4 minutes ago, VintageComics said:

Why would you buy an $80K car when you can get a $40K car?

Why would you buy a $40K car when you can get a $20K car?

Why would you buy a $20K car when you get get an $8K car?

Why would you buy an $8K car when you can get a $4K car?

Why would you buy a $4K car when you can get a $1K car?

When do you want to stop?

It's been like that forever. People pay multiples for better copies. And as long as the certified market has been established, paying double for the next grade has been the norm.

Are you new to comics?

People were paying multiples of Guide for raw copies well before certification became established.

The multiple depended on how nice a book was, how desirable it was and how important it was. If you didn't pay the multiple, you didn't get the nice book.

So I'm missing what's different about this market? (shrug)

Completely irrelevant, unless you're talking about the same exact car in different conditions...

Considering that I only recently started being interested in pre-Modern comics... I mean, you could read the entire thread before :censored:-posting.

1 minute ago, TwoPiece said:

Completely irrelevant, unless you're talking about the same exact car in different conditions...

OK, so change the car analogy to a house.

Considering that I only recently started being interested in pre-Modern comics... I mean, you could read the entire thread before :censored:-posting.

No need to get snarky.

You also could have read a zillion threads on the same subject on this chat forum over the last 15 years but chose not to.

I'll admit, I was lazy and didn't feel like reading 7 pages. That's why I asked if you were new to comics but I guess now I have my answer.

Anyway, no big deal. Have fun collecting!

7 hours ago, RockMyAmadeus said:
7 hours ago, MGsimba77 said:

Just out of curiosity what's an example of a difference between a clean 9.8 and a 9.9 besides centering? Would it be lack of staple tears? Position of the staples, color depth?

Mostly at the top and bottom of the spine. Bindery tears? Forget it. If there's not a complete semi-circle, front to back, of unbroken paper, it's not going to be a 9.9.

And how hard a well known dealer/submitter is willing to fight for it........ :devil:

Edited by kimik

3 minutes ago, VintageComics said:

OK, so change the car analogy to a house.

No need to get snarky.

You also could have read a zillion threads on the same subject on this chat forum over the last 15 years but chose not to.

I'll admit, I was lazy and didn't feel like reading 7 pages. That's why I asked if you were new to comics but I guess now I have my answer.

Anyway, no big deal. Have fun collecting!

Says the guy who asked, "are you new to comics?"

I'm not going to threadsurrect, or bother looking, for a thread not readily available and recently-discussed. I'm not forcing you to contribute to the discussion.

It's also a trend that I've noticed more recently. I've looked at prices before and they didn't multiply with each 0.2 grade increment, that I have noticed, until now.

Of course there are tons of market discussions, but the multiplication of price/0.2 isn't something that I've seen particularly spoken of. The thread was specifically created to discuss Silver Age between 9.0-9.8 grade. I'm not just :censored:ing about the market overall.

People always say, "well it's been predicted since the crash in the 90's", well something will have to give otherwise the hobby is going to suffer from lack of collectors. Everyone who's been collecting since the 20th century isn't always going to be around to buy/sell at current prices. The market and distribution of information greatly reduces the possibility to "finds" and flipping for bigger acquisitions to newer generations/collectors. It's going to stagnate and decline, at some point, until product is available at prices more-reasonable for the more-poor generations.

26 minutes ago, DavidTheDavid said:

Yes, people do indeed return to previous topics of discussion. Heaven forbid we discuss something more than once.

The search function on this forum is not the best.

Does this forum eliminate old threads? There are many things I can't seem to find even though I'm pretty sure they haven't been removed or erased.

Says the guy who asked, "are you new to comics?"

So, not knowing ANYTHING about you I'm not allowed to ask if you're new to comics? :makepoint:

2 minutes ago, TwoPiece said:

I'm not forcing you to contribute to the discussion.

I think you're being a little over sensitive. You started a thread that opens a conversation and I contributed.

3 minutes ago, TwoPiece said:

The thread was specifically created to discuss Silver Age between 9.0-9.8 grade.

The SA market has been selling books in the NM rnage in multiples since CGC opened it's doors. As a general rule, 0.2 increment between 9.0 - 9.8 has meant double in price for as long as I've been back in comics. About 2002 IIRC.

5 minutes ago, TwoPiece said:

:censored:

You seem to :censored: a lot.

5 minutes ago, TwoPiece said:

People always say, "well it's been predicted since the crash in the 90's", well something will have to give otherwise the hobby is going to suffer from lack of collectors.

Yup. And yet it hasn't happened.

Guess we'll see.

14 hours ago, Mercury Man said:

It's pretty silly.   I still don't see the need for 9.9, let alone 9.8, 9.6., 9.4, 9.2.    They should have just had 10, 9.5, 9, 8.5, 8, 7.5, 7, etc.  Make life much easier for collectors.   No need to complicate the 9's.  

CGC did that once. I’ve got a CGC 9.5 book.

It obviously didn’t catch on.

Has anyone ever bought a comic of lesser $ value because they liked the grade of the book better over that of a similar copy that was graded higher? You should see the expression on some dealers when you buy their cheaper copy because you think it has fewer flaws.

Maybe 10-15% of the time I would say a book is 9.8 or 9.6 and agree with CGC, IMO they are overly strict and grading is so subjective. I think a lot of people really are paying for the number.

If you have the money, then go ahead and pay for it. I like nice things too but you aren't necessarily getting a superior book.