• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Market is Insane
5 5

331 posts in this topic

3 minutes ago, VintageComics said:

So, not knowing ANYTHING about you I'm not allowed to ask if you're new to comics? :makepoint:

I think you're being a little over sensitive. You started a thread that opens a conversation and I contributed.

The SA market has been selling books in the NM rnage in multiples since CGC opened it's doors. As a general rule, 0.2 increment between 9.0 - 9.8 has meant double in price for as long as I've been back in comics. About 2002 IIRC.

You seem to :censored: a lot.

Yup. And yet it hasn't happened.

Guess we'll see.

Your comment was equally as "snarky" as mine. I just drew a parallel for you. That's all. I could be equally as snarky and suggest that you are being overly-sensitive. Projecting, maybe? I know that you may thinking "asking the question" circumvents the 'snarkiness', rather than saying "you must be new to comics", but the translucent nature doesn't fool me.

Maybe I wasn't looking at the same Silver Age market last year, because the 0.2 bumps weren't double the price of the books I was looking at.

As I said - the world will end one day. The market will also 'crash' one day. It's inevitable, and based on the age we're in (where people my dad's age+ are retiring or planning for such) I suspect it'll be relatively soon. Most people my age don't have the same financial liberties as the generation(s) before us. Ridiculous living costs, ridiculous loan rates for everything, etc. It's a whole other ball game if you look at through one of our eyes (and I am luckily better off than most people my age).

Good news! According to an anonymous tip, the Market has checked itself into a top 100 Behavioral Health medical facility and is responding well to treatment.  

45 minutes ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

Not really. That was a gimmick, in conjunction with Wizard. It wasn't a "real" grade.

CGC probably regrets doing it but they did it regardless. It’s as real as any other CGC graded book aside from not being able to reholder it... you may be on to something. I got one as a outside-affiliatelinksnotallowed

46 minutes ago, bc said:

From 2002:

From 2003:

From 2004:

From 2005:

From 2008:

From 2009:

From 2011:

From 2013:

From 2015:

From 2016:

From 2017:

From 2018:

This is nowhere near the full list of the "market crash" threads that have appeared here over the last 17 years.

For the record, I used a google search for "site:cgccomics.com market crash" to find these.

Not enough. I need all links.

3 minutes ago, TwoPiece said:

For the record, I used a google search for "site:cgccomics.com market crash" to find these.

3 minutes ago, TwoPiece said:

Not enough. I need all links.

Image result for this is why you fail meme

Just now, bc said:

Image result for this is why you fail meme

This wasn't supposed to turn into a "market crash" thread. Just commentary/understanding of the market insanity.

People don't hesitate to proclaim indefinite market security, though... It'll crash one day. 2020? Probably not. It will, though.

1 hour ago, TwoPiece said:

This wasn't supposed to turn into a "market crash" thread. Just commentary/understanding of the market insanity.

People don't hesitate to proclaim indefinite market security, though... It'll crash one day. 2020? Probably not. It will, though.

Those of use that have been around long enough to remember the first few years of CGC are not really phased by the multiples people are currently paying for 9.8 vs 9.6 vs 9.4.  Right after CGC started it was a mad dash to get the single highest 9.8 and people paid nose bleed prices at the time.  People will always compete for the highest or ultra high grade copies especially if they are registry competitors.  The current market is crazy for a ton of other reasons but paying nose bleed prices for 9.8s is definitely not new.  I personally don't see the sense in it and I'm a bit worried if the future will bode well for those stockpiling 9.8 books at premium pries but everyone is free to buy what they like and people will continue to grade books in hopes of filling that niche. 

On 6/4/2019 at 7:59 AM, valiantman said:
On 6/4/2019 at 6:45 AM, TwoPiece said:

Why would you a buy a 9.8 Silver Age key for 5 figures, when you could get a 9.6 for $8k?

Why buy a 9.6 for $8k when you can get a 9.4 for < $4k?

The prices seemingly continue to cut in half for each grade below. Why the insanity?

Which book?

Hypothetically, if there are 10 copies in CGC 9.8 and 30 copies in CGC 9.6, shouldn't the CGC 9.8 be more than double the price? hm

To each, their own, but if there's that many uber HG copies, I can just imagine how many copies there must be that's just under the CGC 9.6 grades.  

Sounds as though it must be a pretty common book then and I would certainly not be willing to pay 5 figures even if it was a common BA key like Spidey 129 or Hulk 181 which already has thousands (if not well over 10K) of graded copies out there already.  Especially when there are still a ton of ungraded copies still sitting in private collections that has yet to be graded.  Now, if it was something that's harder to find in uber HG like GL 76 or HOS 92, then I might give it a bit more thought.  hm

3 hours ago, TwoPiece said:

Your comment was equally as "snarky" as mine. I just drew a parallel for you. That's all. I could be equally as snarky and suggest that you are being overly-sensitive. Projecting, maybe? I know that you may thinking "asking the question" circumvents the 'snarkiness', rather than saying "you must be new to comics", but the translucent nature doesn't fool me.

But you're reading into my intentions (incorrectly, may I add).

I simply asked if you were new to comics with no other qualifiers, teasing or anything else so you immediately went on the defensive.

Anyway, my intent was to ask you how long you've been in comics but you've gotten your back up about it so there's not much point in further discussion. No big deal.

17 minutes ago, Bookery said:

This has been used before, but the ironic thing is the market HAS "crashed" for many things... maybe just not the things you collect.  Most western comics have crashed.  Classics Illustrated have crashed.  Most movie and TV tie-ins have crashed.  Disneys have crashed.  Little Lulus have crashed (believe it or not there was a time when it was difficult to keep these in stock).  Manga has crashed.  We're one of the largest shops in the country, but our unit sales of new-release comics are about a third of what they were 10 or 15 years ago.  Graphic novels sales are way way down.  Super-hero, sci-fi, horror, and good-girl art is still strong... but genre-wise that's a small portion of the overall product out there.

But the comic market got lucky... twice!  The first was when CGC came along.  That boosted prices many-fold seemingly overnight.  Then when things seemed to settle down a bit, technology with CGI came along and made it feasible to do all of these big-budget movie adaptations.  But make no mistake... everything that's printed (and I'm talking the market for physical books, not electronic here) is overall in decline.  Sure the superstars in each field keep outperforming... but the majority of first edition books, movie posters, etc., are falling off as new generations have no idea who these authors and stars are.  Big Little Books were actually a hot thing once.  I have folks come in all of the time (in their 20s and 30s... not just kids) who look at my posters and ask who is John Wayne, Marilyn Monroe, Humphrey Bogart... they haven't got a clue!  The younger collectors on here will get the same treatment when you proudly show your grandkids your Hulk 181.  "Grampa... what's a wolverine???".   :wink:

The Rule of 25 and its codicil The Rule of 75 are non forgiving demons. 75 years ago = 1944....things will start to fade.

When were Classics ever not dogs?