• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Market is Insane
5 5

331 posts in this topic

12 hours ago, eddly said:

For the record, my market crash thread was the best one. 

The market crashed?

On 6/4/2019 at 10:28 AM, TwoPiece said:

I usually buy TPBs nowadays for the stories.

The price differences in high-grade is just kinda mind-blowing based on the small differences in condition. 1 spine tick knocks a book down 4-figures!?

I'm trying to get into acquiring some key SA stuff, and these price differences are just confusing me at times. I'd really like get some 9.8s, but the logical part of my brain is telling me not to bother above 9.4 because it's a waste of money.

Listen to the logical part of your brain. Perfection is an illusion...

44 minutes ago, DavidTheDavid said:
54 minutes ago, lizards2 said:

The market crashed?

We need a thread about when the (next) thread crash will occur.

I predict a micro-crash today, with a quick rebound for tomorrow.

On 6/6/2019 at 7:30 AM, TwoPiece said:
On 6/5/2019 at 3:07 PM, VintageComics said:

But you're reading into my intentions (incorrectly, may I add).

I simply asked if you were new to comics with no other qualifiers, teasing or anything else so you immediately went on the defensive.

Anyway, my intent was to ask you how long you've been in comics but you've gotten your back up about it so there's not much point in further discussion. No big deal.

And you into mine. Multiple times.

You went off on a tangent first when I asked you 'Are you new to comics?'

All you had to do was say yes or no. Instead, you got your back up, took it as an insult and here we are.

Anyway, I think you've gotten a lot of good information to your question.

The answer always boils down to 'collect what you like and what you can afford' and that is going to vary for everyone with no wrong answers.

7 minutes ago, Jeffro™ said:

I let the Market crash at my place. It trashed the bathroom and drank all my beer. Never again

you better check that smell from between the couch cushions...., :eek: 

2 minutes ago, lizards2 said:

Don't tell me the Market dumped it's stock there :eek:

27 minutes ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

lol  So..., my nephew Zach tells a story about his favorite couch, where he would sit and fart every night while he watched TV.  One day, he got home from work, and the dog had chewed a hole all the way through the fabric and foam in that very spot.  I assume the dog was going after that "stench of biblical proportions" trapped within the couch, as mentioned in Couch Patch cartoon.

My uncle Kenny used to tell a story about his favorite couch too.  Before his daughters would have boys over in high school, they would pound the heck out of the couch to make sure all the farts were beaten out, so the boys didn't get any big surprises when they sat down.

And then there was uncle Russ' story about when he had a couch stored in the garage.  Unfortunately, a skunk chewed a whole through the side, and moved into his new "nest".  Russ said he waited there one night for the skunk to come out, and when he poked his head out, he let the skunk have it with a .22.  Needless to say, the dying skunk got the last laugh.

On 6/8/2019 at 1:54 PM, VintageComics said:

You went off on a tangent first when I asked you 'Are you new to comics?'

All you had to do was say yes or no. Instead, you got your back up, took it as an insult and here we are.

Anyway, I think you've gotten a lot of good information to your question.

The answer always boils down to 'collect what you like and what you can afford' and that is going to vary for everyone with no wrong answers.

Asking if I am "new to comics" would be the tangent, sir/ma'am. It's irrelevant.

I didn't take anything as an insult. I'm not insulted. Are you confused?

These prices make it difficult for people to afford the hobby to continue in good health.

On 6/7/2019 at 4:33 PM, lou_fine said:

But it's really a case of to each, their own when it comes to collecting and my way is not necessarily any better or right as compared to their way of collecting.  It's just good to see that's there's room for all types of collectors and/or speculators in this wonderful hobby of ours.  (thumbsu

Well said! 

17 hours ago, lizards2 said:
17 hours ago, Jeffro™ said:

I let the Market crash at my place. It trashed the bathroom and drank all my beer. Never again

Smells like reptile stank

On 6/6/2019 at 11:53 AM, DavidTheDavid said:

Many collect digital goods now. We had cases filled with tapes, then cd's. Today, you either create a digital library or just pay a monthly subscription for as much music as you can get. Apple TV advertises, "Build Your Collection!" Gamers have game collections on Steam. People who play digital card games like Hearthstone collect those cards. I work in digital gaming, and we love when a completist comes along, someone who wants every card or item in a game. Skins, avatars, Kindle libraries: those are collectibles. There are even living digital card games now, with fixed quantities of certain cards. There's a digital card game built on the blockchain; these cards can be traded and have varying values. There are even digital collectibles that are simply like old trading cards not connected to any game, but built on the blockchain so that each copy is singular. Heck, lots of kids collect memes, storing thousands of them in computer folders.

I don't think that collecting impulse will ever die. It's just been massively disrupted as has everything else in our society.

It will be interesting to follow this trend. As previously stated, the only issue with digital goods and digital card platforms like Star Wars Card Trader, Quidd, Bunt, etc.. is how long will the platform remain open. Once Topps stops SWCT or the new Marvel Collect app, will your digital items be locked in a digital graveyard? I made pretty good money selling my SWCT collection and a lot of Quidd items. Quidd recently changed the way it operates, so selling your quidd items for real money is close to impossible - instead you have to sell the digital currency. I've stopped "playing" Quidd, but I still have a lot of really rare items, so I'm watching to see if they ever tie real-money-transactions to in-game transactions.

Edited by awakeintheashes