• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Amazing Spiderman #33 9.8/9.6 or ASM #9 8.5/8.0?
1 1

65 posts in this topic

Hi all you geniuses on this board :)

I need your expert advice. If you had the chance to either buy an Amazing Spiderman #33 in 9.8 0r 9.6 OR for the equivalent money an Amazing Spiderman #9 in either 8.5 or 8.0 which would it be and why? Thank you you for any feedback all!

If the ASM #33 CGC 9.8 is beautiful, then it literally has no ceiling in future value.  All the other books you mentioned have a ceiling, a next higher grade, and they'll always be valued as some percentage of a different book which "ranks above" them.

53 minutes ago, valiantman said:

If the ASM #33 CGC 9.8 is beautiful, then it literally has no ceiling in future value.  All the other books you mentioned have a ceiling, a next higher grade, and they'll always be valued as some percentage of a different book which "ranks above" them.

Hi Valiantman,

I never thought of it like that at all. Wow! I always thought of what your money can buy, of course I love both books equally in different ways, and have been saving for a long time now. Do you think even though it is ' not a "key" like the first appearance of Electro then it being a 9.8 it trumps that? Or will it not hold it's value as it is a randomish issue? Thanks again :)

9 minutes ago, Ghazi said:

Hi Valiantman,

I never thought of it like that at all. Wow! I always thought of what your money can buy, of course I love both books equally in different ways, and have been saving for a long time now. Do you think even though it is ' not a "key" like the first appearance of Electro then it being a 9.8 it trumps that? Or will it not hold it's value as it is a randomish issue? Thanks again :)

Until one of the 41 CGC 9.8 copies gets CPR'd into a 9.9 :devil:

It's a "key" in its own right, part of a classic story line.

ASM #33 isn't a first appearance, but it is a "classic cover" that will always stand out beyond ASM #32 or ASM #34.  To me, ASM #33 is a "better book" than ASM #9, since Electro isn't a top-tier Spider-Man villain, ASM #33 is a classic cover (and classic storyline) and the difference in the ages of the books and numbers surviving are offset by the much higher grade of a CGC 9.8 ASM #33 (just 41 CGC 9.8 copies on the CGC census) versus 280+ copies of ASM #9 at 8.0 or higher. 

Edited by valiantman

3 minutes ago, valiantman said:

ASM #33 isn't a first appearance, but it is a "classic cover" that will always stand out beyond ASM #32 or ASM #34.  To me, ASM #33 is a "better book" than ASM #9, since Electro isn't a top-tier Spider-Man villain, ASM #33 is a classic cover (and classic storyline) and the difference in the ages of the books and numbers surviving are offset by the much higher grade of a CGC 9.8 ASM #33 (just 41 CGC 9.8 copies on the CGC census) versus 150+ of ASM #9 at 8.0 or higher. 

I have to start thinking like you mathematically :), and too right Electro is not realyl the gold standard of Spidey villains as you said.

3 minutes ago, Ghazi said:
7 minutes ago, valiantman said:

ASM #33 isn't a first appearance, but it is a "classic cover" that will always stand out beyond ASM #32 or ASM #34.  To me, ASM #33 is a "better book" than ASM #9, since Electro isn't a top-tier Spider-Man villain, ASM #33 is a classic cover (and classic storyline) and the difference in the ages of the books and numbers surviving are offset by the much higher grade of a CGC 9.8 ASM #33 (just 41 CGC 9.8 copies on the CGC census) versus 150+ of ASM #9 at 8.0 or higher. 

I have to start thinking like you mathematically :), and too right Electro is not realyl the gold standard of Spidey villains as you said.

I just revised my post, there are nearly 300 copies of ASM #9 in CGC 8.0 or higher. I was just thinking of the 150+ at CGC 8.0 and 8.5.  ASM #33 having that "The Final Chapter" on the cover also sort of bookends with ASM #1 (or AF #15) since we know that Spider-Man didn't die in ASM #33, but there's at least a hint that he could die in #33... which is earlier than him (famously) quitting on the cover of ASM #50.

Edited by valiantman

5 minutes ago, bc said:

Until one of the 41 CGC 9.8 copies gets CPR'd into a 9.9 :devil:

It's a "key" in its own right, part of a classic story line.

Hi bc don't burst my bubble LOL! This is tough as is :) You guys are right it's a key in itself. I guess I always thought of keys as first appearances etc..

2 minutes ago, valiantman said:

I just revised my post, there are nearly 300 copies of ASM #9 in CGC 8.0 or higher. I was just thinking of the 150+ at CGC 8.0 and 8.5.

That is a lot! Hmmmm now I am in a quandry! But sounds like I shouldn't be and get on the ASM# 33 bandwagon as you guys suggest.

1 minute ago, Ghazi said:

Hi bc don't burst my bubble LOL! This is tough as is :) You guys are right it's a key in itself. I guess I always thought of keys as first appearances etc..

Whatever you decide, if you go with a high grade 33, wait for one with White pages and excellent centering. See many with half of Spideys head on the back cover.

ps - if you haven't read the story line, pick up a cheap reprint or TPB (ASM 31-33) . You'll likely want the book even more :)

Edited by bc
add data

4 minutes ago, bc said:

Whatever you decide, if you go with a high grade 33, wait for one with White pages and excellent centering. See many with half of Spideys head on the back cover.

Agreed, if you go for a CGC 9.8 ASM #33 make sure the price box clearly says "MARVEL COMICS GROUP" on the front cover, not "MARVEL OMICS ROUP". :grin:

Edited by valiantman

1 minute ago, bc said:

Thank you so much bc. I have been looking at a lot of them and wondered why they are all mis-wrapped. Too right. I have literally only seen 2 white pages copies one in a 9.8 and one in a 9.2 I think. I think that maybe as they were Silver age white might be very thin on the ground. Slippery slope but would you go for white pages, pretty good centering or off white to white and not so good centering 9.8? Or does that take us back to ASM #9 LOL!

Just now, valiantman said:

Agreed, if you go for a CGC 9.8 ASM #33 make sure the price box clearly says "MARVEL COMICS GROUP" on the front cover, not "MARVEL OMICS ROUP". :grin:

How do you mean valiantman or are you pulling my leg (joking with someone in the UK) : because it would be an obvious fake?

1 minute ago, Ghazi said:

Thank you so much bc. I have been looking at a lot of them and wondered why they are all mis-wrapped. Too right. I have literally only seen 2 white pages copies one in a 9.8 and one in a 9.2 I think. I think that maybe as they were Silver age white might be very thin on the ground. Slippery slope but would you go for white pages, pretty good centering or off white to white and not so good centering 9.8? Or does that take us back to ASM #9 LOL!

OW or OW-W is fine, as that is pretty subjective anyway.

The centering would be the selling point for me. 

Just now, Ghazi said:
2 minutes ago, valiantman said:

How do you mean valiantman or are you pulling my leg (joking with someone in the UK) : because it would be an obvious fake?

The wrap (miswrap) on ASM #33 could cause the letters of 

MARVEL

COMICS

GROUP

which is beside the 12cent price to be wrapped toward the back, making it look like...

MARVEL

OMICS

ROUP

Which would be an "ugly" miswrap for a CGC 9.8.

4 minutes ago, bc said:

ps - if you haven't read the story line, pick up a cheap reprint or TPB (ASM 31-33) . You'll likely want the book even more :)

I started reading a reprint but have not gotten to #33 yet. Yes one of the things I would really value is loving the story as well as the art inside a book as well, even though I doubt I would ever crack it open!

Just now, bc said:

OW or OW-W is fine, as that is pretty subjective anyway.

The centering would be the selling point for me. 

Ok good thanks! Will stick to that. Yes I can't stand a mis-wrap. 

1 minute ago, valiantman said:

The wrap (miswrap) on ASM #33 could cause the letters of 

MARVEL

COMICS

GROUP

which is beside the 12cent price to be wrapped toward the back, making it look like...

MARVEL

OMICS

ROUP

Which would be an "ugly" miswrap for a CGC 9.8.

I gotcha! Sorry for making you write that out and for being a dumbo!