• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Amazing Spiderman #33 9.8/9.6 or ASM #9 8.5/8.0?
1 1

65 posts in this topic

If it were me, I'd go after the first appearance of a classic villain. He may not be an a-lister, but certainly a villain that is instantly recognized by all Spidey fans. Not to snub 33, it's great and that storyline is almost always in the Top 5 Spidey stories of all-time (although we're really talking about 3 issues combining to make that story), but I think that original Rogues Gallery just has a certain mystique about them and being in the first 10 issues should also make it a bit scarcer. We've seen a pretty steep run-up for ASM 14 lately and it seems like all those original villains have been making pretty strong gains lately.

2 minutes ago, Ghazi said:

Thank you :) Will stay away from those! Which seem to be the vast majority at the moment!

Good Luck (and your patience will be rewarded) :wishluck:

Oh and I should mention I'd go after 9 in an 8.5 if you've got the money to spend. 8's can be a bit rough. Just like what's been mentioned before, there are plenty of qualities beyond just the grade to take into account, especially when you're spending that kind of money, you owe it to yourself to grab the best looking copy in that grade that you can find.

2 minutes ago, Martin Sinescu said:

If it were me, I'd go after the first appearance of a classic villain. He may not be an a-lister, but certainly a villain that is instantly recognized by all Spidey fans. Not to snub 33, it's great and that storyline is almost always in the Top 5 Spidey stories of all-time (although we're really talking about 3 issues combining to make that story), but I think that original Rogues Gallery just has a certain mystique about them and being in the first 10 issues should also make it a bit scarcer. We've seen a pretty steep run-up for ASM 14 lately and it seems like all those original villains have been making pretty strong gains lately.

Oh no being swayed back! I had originally thought that as was drawn to the top 13 or so issues....but sone might be over inflated by movies such as ASM# Mysterio IMHO it should be of equal value to another villain like Electro not higher. But maybe thats because of the white cover scarcity etc. By the time I am done with you guys I will end up with a 3.0 for number #2 LOL! Thanks Martin!

1 minute ago, Martin Sinescu said:

This is a good counterpoint, and if we were talking about any grade besides CGC 9.8 ASM #33, your argument would probably sway me as well, but the phrase "and no higher copies exist after 20 years of CGC grading" pushes the scales toward CGC 9.8 ASM #33 by a whole bunch.

4 minutes ago, Martin Sinescu said:

Oh and I should mention I'd go after 9 in an 8.5 if you've got the money to spend. 8's can be a bit rough. Just like what's been mentioned before, there are plenty of qualities beyond just the grade to take into account, especially when you're spending that kind of money, you owe it to yourself to grab the best looking copy in that grade that you can find.

Thanks for your expertise Maritin :) So go for a 9.0 not an 8.5 with good centering and off white pages? I have never bought a high value book and until now my most expensive is a $70 Tarzan CGC! So this is a big step. I am forgoing a scooter on this one! A comic book nut I guess :)

2 minutes ago, valiantman said:

This is a good counterpoint, and if we were talking about any grade besides CGC 9.8 ASM #33, your argument would probably sway me as well, but the phrase "and no higher copies exist after 20 years of CGC grading" pushes the scales toward CGC 9.8 ASM #33 by a whole bunch.

I gotta say I like the sound of a 9.8 although bc is going to say the 9.9 will come up! They always say don't buy the grade though don't they, as in deer in headlights 9.8.....

1 minute ago, valiantman said:

It's an interesting point and I'd guess it's unlikely a higher grade exists (does SA ever hit 9.9?), but I would be a little concerned at the volatility of the "highest" grade, just seems it makes that a bit more perilous. Also, we're talking an $850 difference between the 33 9.8 (last sale at $5k) and 9 8.5 (last sale at $4150). The money saved could buy a 9.4 of 33 hm

Just now, Ghazi said:

I gotta say I like the sound of a 9.8 although bc is going to say the 9.9 will come up! They always say don't buy the grade though don't they, as in deer in headlights 9.8.....

Scroll through some of the topics in Silver Age and you'll see several where someone posts "Can you believe ### just sold for five times the previous high sale??!??!?!?"

That only happens with "highest graded copies".  You won't find a CGC 8.5 doing that. lol

3 minutes ago, Ghazi said:

Thanks for your expertise Maritin :) So go for a 9.0 not an 8.5 with good centering and off white pages? I have never bought a high value book and until now my most expensive is a $70 Tarzan CGC! So this is a big step. I am forgoing a scooter on this one! A comic book nut I guess :)

I'm curious as to why you have targeted 33 without having completed the story. Not saying that in a negative way, it's just that I would expect most buyers looking for a copy of 33 would want it because of the emotional attachment to the story.

2 minutes ago, Martin Sinescu said:

It's an interesting point and I'd guess it's unlikely a higher grade exists (does SA ever hit 9.9?), but I would be a little concerned at the volatility of the "highest" grade, just seems it makes that a bit more perilous. Also, we're talking an $850 difference between the 33 9.8 (last sale at $5k) and 9 8.5 (last sale at $4150). The money saved could buy a 9.4 of 33 hm

I saw an 8.5 sold for 3K and a #33 sold for 3.5K i think unless those were really old prices....I looked all over Heritage, CL and all the usual spots including Ebay!

3 minutes ago, valiantman said:

Scroll through some of the topics in Silver Age and you'll see several where someone posts "Can you believe ### just sold for five times the previous high sale??!??!?!?"

That only happens with "highest graded copies".  You won't find a CGC 8.5 doing that. lol

What's the all-time GPA high on 33 :baiting:

3 minutes ago, Martin Sinescu said:

I'm curious as to why you have targeted 33 without having completed the story. Not saying that in a negative way, it's just that I would expect most buyers looking for a copy of 33 would want it because of the emotional attachment to the story.

Well I was saving the rest of the story to start at the begining of the arc and was going to do that this weekend :) I thought the cover was a masterpiece really and would enjoy seeing it everyday :)

1 minute ago, Martin Sinescu said:
5 minutes ago, valiantman said:

What's the all-time GPA high on 33 :baiting:

So, you're saying a surprise CGC 9.8 sale at $10K is due. :baiting: lol

7 minutes ago, valiantman said:

Truer word never been spoken!

1 minute ago, valiantman said:

So, you're saying a surprise CGC 9.8 sale at $10K is due. :baiting: lol

Crazy looking back on those prices, isn't it? Maybe it's undervalued now or just having a few more in the market has watered it down, but the book's just waaaaayyyyy to volatile in that grade for me. Imagine paying $9700 and seeing it sell consistently for less than a third a few years later. 9 in 8.5 has had a much more stable increase over that time with a pretty sassy bump in the last two years.