• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Amazing Spiderman #33 9.8/9.6 or ASM #9 8.5/8.0?
1 1

65 posts in this topic

3 minutes ago, Martin Sinescu said:

Crazy looking back on those prices, isn't it? Maybe it's undervalued now or just having a few more in the market has watered it down, but the book's just waaaaayyyyy to volatile in that grade for me. Imagine paying $9700 and seeing it sell consistently for less than a third a few years later. 9 in 8.5 has had a much more stable increase over that time with a pretty sassy bump in the last two years.

CGC 9.8 ASM #33 was certainly undervalued for less than $2,000 in 2016.  It was overvalued at $9,700 in 2009, but there weren't as many on the CGC census.  I think CGC 9.8 ASM #33 was undervalued at $3,600, but the most recent sale was $5,000 and that's right in that historical middle area for the book.  I'm not sure I understand why there are so many CGC 9.8 ASM #33 (41 copies), but relative to other $5,000+ Silver Age books, 41 isn't very many.  It's just "a lot" compared to other early Spider-Man CGC 9.8 books.

1 minute ago, valiantman said:

CGC 9.8 ASM #33 was certainly undervalued for less than $2,000 in 2016.  It was overvalued at $9,700 in 2009, but there weren't as many on the CGC census.  I think CGC 9.8 ASM #33 was undervalued at $3,600, but the most recent sale was $5,000 and that's right in that historical middle area for the book.  I'm not sure I understand why there are so many CGC 9.8 ASM #33 (41 copies), but relative to other $5,000+ Silver Age books, 41 isn't very many.  It's just "a lot" compared to other early Spider-Man CGC 9.8 books.

Do you think the rarity of some of the Spidey books is intentional?

1 hour ago, valiantman said:

There was a significant find of uncirculated copies of ASM 33.  Not sure how many but more than enough to exceed the usually expected number of uber high grade copies.

45 minutes ago, bluechip said:

There was a significant find of uncirculated copies of ASM 33.  Not sure how many but more than enough to exceed the usually expected number of uber high grade copies.

This. Go for the very very best centering if you want an elite copy of 33. 

ASM 31-33, The Master Planner Trilogy, is considered one of the top two Marvel SA stories. I sold my 9, but had to keep those!

73C80295-879E-42C4-8F23-3CAC005393EC.thumb.jpeg.1a009f7ea269c762ff9a9f4221133286.jpeg

1 hour ago, bluechip said:

I also recall hearing #33 being part of a large warehouse find with huge quantities of uncirculated/unread copies hm

It's a tough choice but as a collector, not an investor, I would go for the lower number issue. A 9.8 #33 is quite a find but there's a certain magic in single digit Spideys, especially high grade copies. Also, don't disregard #9's great blue cover. It's a real eye catcher.

On 6/5/2019 at 12:24 AM, JohnH19 said:

It's a tough choice but as a collector, not an investor, I would go for the lower number issue. A 9.8 #33 is quite a find but there's a certain magic in single digit Spideys, especially high grade copies. Also, don't disregard #9's great blue cover. It's a real eye catcher.

This.   HG Single Digit ASM > Super HG 30's issue ASM

On 6/11/2019 at 4:31 PM, chrisco37 said:

I have to agree. I really don't know how much sense would make to choose the one over the other as an investment move but I am personally more than happy with my #9 8.0 and I wouldn't change it for a #33 9.6 or 9.8. I am also happy with my #33 8.5. Why not have both in slightly lower grades if you really like the books?

On 6/4/2019 at 11:29 PM, bluechip said:

Hey bluechip,

Thanks for letting us know. This makes total sense. What an Aladdins cave find  for the person stumbling on it!

On 6/5/2019 at 12:19 AM, KirbyJack said:

This. Go for the very very best centering if you want an elite copy of 33. 

ASM 31-33, The Master Planner Trilogy, is considered one of the top two Marvel SA stories. I sold my 9, but had to keep those!

73C80295-879E-42C4-8F23-3CAC005393EC.thumb.jpeg.1a009f7ea269c762ff9a9f4221133286.jpeg

What am amazing trio, thank you so much for sharing :)Shame I missed the 9!

On 6/5/2019 at 5:24 AM, JohnH19 said:

Hi JohnH19,

I like your thinking...I wish I could say I was an investor more so, but if I like a book more, then  I am willing to take what I like over what I should buy if that makes sense! I really do like that blue cover.....Same goes with the singe digit numbering really drawn to that as well.

On 6/11/2019 at 3:31 PM, chrisco37 said:

I don't want to cause a brawl here, but how low could I go to consider a high grade. Would that be an 8.0 and higher? Thanks in advance for any input.

Grading can be somewhat inconsistent so I would go by eye appeal more than the number on the slab. I would gladly buy a beautiful 7.0 over a flawed 8.0. That being said, I only have two graded books in my ASM collection, three if you count my Golden Record #1. I like my books raw, just like my...oh, never mind.:devil:

2 minutes ago, JohnH19 said:

Grading can be somewhat inconsistent so I would go by eye appeal more than the number on the slab. I would gladly buy a beautiful 7.0 over a flawed 8.0. That being said, I only have two graded books in my ASM collection, three if you count my Golden Record #1. I like my books raw, just like my...oh, never mind.:devil:

LOL JohnH19! Too true I have seen some copies graded higher technically, and yet the lower grade presented much better, I do need to remember to take that into account too.

On 6/13/2019 at 4:43 PM, SECollector said:

I have to agree. I really don't know how much sense would make to choose the one over the other as an investment move but I am personally more than happy with my #9 8.0 and I wouldn't change it for a #33 9.6 or 9.8. I am also happy with my #33 8.5. Why not have both in slightly lower grades if you really like the books?

Hi SECollector you are super luck to own those, I think at this point I might have to set my sights lower grade wise due to unforeseen circumstances and se If I can afford a decent looking 9 maybe in a lower grade (Good luck I hear you all say and you are right! I would need lots of it!) Thanks for sharing what you have :)

On 6/4/2019 at 4:33 PM, bc said:

ps - if you haven't read the story line, pick up a cheap reprint or TPB (ASM 31-33) . You'll likely want the book even more :)

Marvel Tales #s 24-26 reprint the classic ASM #31-33 story arc.  (thumbsu