• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Approximate Grade Improvement for Back Cover Dirt Removal?

8 posts in this topic

I know there is no "sure fire" answer to this question. I had a raw copy of a late 60's X-men book with a dirty cover and thought I'd try to chronicle the back cover dirt removal before and after. I'm no expert but with about 15 mins of work in non-restorative careful techniques, I was able to get a decent amount of the dirt off. Hoping to get an approximate idea of how much this might improve the grade on average. maybe .5 or 1.0 difference on a mid-grade book? I just took a quick photo of the work I did. I can always snap a photo of the front cover and put it in the PGM forum but wasn't sure where the best spot would be for this post.  Thanks in advance for any valuable insight. 

Before2.jpg

After2.jpg

Edited by Rhymenoceros

On 6/4/2019 at 5:04 PM, Rhymenoceros said:

I know there is no "sure fire" answer to this question. I had a raw copy of a late 60's X-men book with a dirty cover and thought I'd try to chronicle the back cover dirt removal before and after. I'm no expert but with about 15 mins of work in non-restorative careful techniques, I was able to get a decent amount of the dirt off. Hoping to get an approximate idea of how much this might improve the grade on average. maybe .5 or 1.0 difference on a mid-grade book? I just took a quick photo of the work I did. I can always snap a photo of the front cover and put it in the PGM forum but wasn't sure where the best spot would be for this post.  Thanks in advance for any valuable insight. 

Before2.jpg

After2.jpg

I am curious how did you clean this book? wouldn't this count as restoration though in CGC eyes?

well I am assuming most cleaning still requires some kind of chemical or product would CGC detect that and note cover cleaned and give it a PLOD

Just now, Krishosein said:

well I am assuming most cleaning still requires some kind of chemical or product would CGC detect that and note cover cleaned and give it a PLOD

The OP claims "non-restorative careful techniques" - not that I'm inclined to blindly believe that. Some form of dry cleaning? Idk. I basically don't know :censored: about restoration, conservation, or cleaning.

well from the little I know about dry cleaning people would use white modeling erasers mr clean magic erasers q tips to remove the dust, dirt and oil but I mean Mr. Clean magic eraser I am sure there is a chemical in that and the eraser I am sure it might leave some eraser residue. So would that then be considered restoration. Maybe someone who has done this and submitted to CGC can comment on this.