• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Restored - Conserved?
1 1

16 posts in this topic

Hello everyone. So I just received a silver age book which is graded restored apparent 5.5 with Slight (P). The restoration notes are staples cleaned and tear seal on cover. I looked online and saw the book was graded in 2005. Am I correct to assume if resubmitted today, it would receive a conserved label instead? 

Also, does anyone know what the process is for "staples cleaned"? I assume they are removed from the book and replaced after cleaning. I just don't know how they tell the difference between "cleaned" and "replaced", especially if vintage staples were used for replacement. 

Thanks. I love the book, just really curious if it's actually a "conserved" book by today's standards.

Greetings. Interesting question.

All I can say is if the book meets the Conserved standards (which sounds like a possibility) than it would receive the Conserved label. Perhaps someone else here on the boards knows what's involved with cleaning staples. Usually cleaned staples look very shiny and bright; that's one of the reasons they're pretty easy to detect on vintage books... (thumbsu  

17 minutes ago, TwoPiece said:

What was the restoration quality, though?

Conservation grade is only available to A1 "restoration".

If the quality is below-A, then it will remain a PLOD.

Good question.. The label just says Apparent  Slight (P). I don't think quality was listed on labels in 2005? I wonder if getting the grader notes would shed some more light. 

To me, I can't find the tear seal but the staples do look really damn clean. 

11 minutes ago, spracknetch23 said:

Good question.. The label just says Apparent  Slight (P). I don't think quality was listed on labels in 2005? I wonder if getting the grader notes would shed some more light. 

"(P)" sounds like "Professional" AKA A1.

I would call CGC to confirm that relation, but it sounds like it'd receive a Conserved label.

I would talk to CGC about it, but even then you cannot guarantee the grader will not change their mind once it is in hand for review. I had a comic that was being conserved (about 2 years ago), and the professional doing it was in constant talks with CGC to ensure we only had conservation level work done on it in order to get the 'conserved' label and not a purple restored label (clean staple, reinforce, small tear seal) - however once graded they gave it restored (main reasoning was that since the cover was reinforced both inside AND out on the spine that was too much 'conservation' and now was restoration, though this was discussed prior to submission and was fine).

Edited by Sauce Dog

I think your best bet would be to contact CGC and see what they think and how to submit it. 

13 hours ago, spracknetch23 said:

Since the restoration standards changed about 5 years ago, all those old label books will have to be re-evaluated. Just think of the possibilities...  hm    

On 6/7/2019 at 3:41 AM, The Lions Den said:

Since the restoration standards changed about 5 years ago, all those old label books will have to be re-evaluated. Just think of the possibilities...  hm    

Must one pay full fee to get an old label resto-book reevaluated in terms of the new resto standards and label notes?

5 minutes ago, Mr bla bla said:

Must one pay full fee to get an old label resto-book reevaluated in terms of the new resto standards and label notes?

I'm thinking yes, but I'd call CGC and throw myself on the mercy of the court...:makepoint: