• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Grey are between hobby and buying for value
1 1

103 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, musicmeta said:

Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought when comic books were first distributed they were not meant to be collected for value.
They were printed, distributed to your local drug store or other places like a book store?, bought, read not necessary carefully and tossed or given away.  
One just read them for enjoyment.  Again, I maybe I'm way off on this. People with far more comic book knowledge then me (a lot of comic book folks) please chime in. 

Yup.  Not a product that it was considered necessary to have extremely strict quality control for.  Ephemeral and as disposable as a regular newspaper.

As a kid buying from the newsstand, I'd read without much care and then throw them with little concern onto a pile in my bedroom.

Once I started buying at multiples of cover price on the secondary market, something expensive and difficult for me to afford, I became much more stringent about condition and looking after my books.  Then again, that also coincided with my general OCD worsening in my teens as well.  So, in my case, possibly a complex evolution.

5 hours ago, Buzzetta said:

NYC Fun Fact: If you see a woman yelling at someone in NYC and she takes off her hoop earrings, you should take out the cell phones, go to the camera app and stand back... someone is about to throw down. 

2 hours ago, lizards2 said:

It sounds like a charming place.

1 hour ago, Buzzetta said:

Hey, I live out on Long Island. 

Last week, I refused to move for 'showtime' on an already crowded subway. It got ugly.  Surprisingly, they backed down and I didn't get killed. Sometimes you have to be a little crazier. 

Sounds like a tough city.  A bit like Manchester.

1 hour ago, Buzzetta said:

Hey, I live out on Long Island. 

Last week, I refused to move for 'showtime' on an already crowded subway. It got ugly.  Surprisingly, they backed down and I didn't get killed. Sometimes you have to be a little crazier. 

Toronto is the same way

I almost got into a fight in Burberry

BURBERRY!