Dedicated Ignore Feature...

9 posts in this topic

22,771 posts
Posted (edited)

It’s been awhile since it was asked so I figured I would try... What will it take to finally get a dedicated ignore feature?  That is the one great aspect that platforms like Facebook have that I wish this forum would embrace.  

If I have another member blocked they should no longer see my posts or topics I’ve started just as I would not see them.  I would also not see them when someone quotes them. 

I do not know specifically where to post this so forgive me in advance if I post it in a few places. 

Edited by Buzzetta
Now that I am in front of a computer instead of on my phone I can fix some mistakes.

1,329 posts
4 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

It’s been awhile since it was asked so I figured I would try... What will it take to finally get a dedicated ignore feature?  That is the one great aspect that platforms like Facebook has that I wish this forum would embrace.  

If I have another member blocked they should no longer see my posts or topics I’ve started just I would not see them.  I also would not see them when someone quotes them. 

I do not know specifically where to post this so forgive me in advance if I post it in a few places. 

I probably wouldnt get banned as much!

54,838 posts

Agreed. It would virtually eliminate conflict. The only people left fighting would be the ones who chose to fight.

It does no good to place someone "on ignore", when they continue to see...and respond to...your posts. Putting them on ignore is the functional equivalent of standing in a crowded room, sticking your fingers in your ears, and pretending there's no one else around. Those people don't magically disappear. 

Also...and this ought to appeal to you, moderation and administration...it would cut down on the number of complaints and reports you get by the serial complainers, eternally offended, and those with an agenda. You can't report what you can't see. Problem solved for them, problem solved for you.

1,580 posts
Posted (edited)

I like this idea of blocked members not seeing posts of the blocker.

If the above isn’t possible then how about this thought.  To not let members quote anyone that has blocked them. This way the blocked person can’t engage in conversation with the person who has blocked them. If the blocked person can’t quote and the blocker can’t see their post then this might also work.

Edited by Catwomancomics

1,580 posts
Posted (edited)

Another quick thought. The blocked person shouldn’t be allowed to @RockMyAmadeus, @Buzzetta of the blocker too.  So if someone else quotes the blocked member, the blockers won’t be able to see something directed them.

Edited by Catwomancomics

1,329 posts
5 hours ago, Catwomancomics said:

Another quick thought. The blocked person shouldn’t be allowed to @RockMyAmadeus, @Buzzetta of the blocker too.  So if someone else quotes the blocked member, the blockers won’t be able to see something directed them.

Maybe not even be able to post on that thread.

18,190 posts

I'm opposed to this idea. I don't think a member should have the power to block what another member sees. 

54,838 posts
21 hours ago, wombat said:

I'm opposed to this idea. I don't think a member should have the power to block what another member sees. 

You should have the ability to block me from seeing your comments if you so choose, and vice versa. If you don't want to interact with me in any way, you should be free to do so, without having to leave the site entirely (which is the only option anyone has right now.) You shouldn't be forced to have to deal with my comments and the consequences of them if you don't wish to. You may say "I can just ignore you." But you cannot ignore other people quoting me, and you cannot ignore the reactions of others to what I say in response to you. 

There are people on this message board (as everywhere) who are restrained solely by moderation control, not by any sense of personal decency or decorum. You ought not have to have your only option be to not post at all to not have to interact with them.

Freedom of association works both ways. 

6,994 posts

It's pretty easy to scroll past the posts of people that never seem to add anything to a discussion.

But sometimes it's not as easy as you think.

:D