• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Marvel Essential Black&White - Do you read them?
1 1

49 posts in this topic

if you're on a budget, the Essential Collection or nothing, than yeah, the B&W stuff. However, the books were originally made in color and they had an expert, learned colorist working on the books so they deserve to be read in color. POST CLOSED!

Oh yeah, you had a question: No, I don't read The Essential Collection. I'll decide what's essential to my collection and The Essential Collection isn't. 

If I had a bunch of The Essential B&W collections, I'd put 'em in a pile and start a fire. 

Edited by NoMan

14 minutes ago, valiantman said:

hm

Image result for marvel age black costume spiderman

... and the middle image CLEARLY shows Spider-Man walking like an Egyptian.

hm

... and we KNOW the Greys built the pyramids...

image.jpeg.019c679477e9d7f589089ab8107ba08a.jpeg

... therefore, the first appearance of Spider-Man's black costume was carved on a wall on Abydos! 

:ohnoez:

Yes, but can it be SLABBED? And what color will the label be??

PS. The pleebs in the video can't walk like Egyptians worth beans.

1 hour ago, Blastaar said:

I always spend the extra money to get the color TPBs or Omnibus but have the opportunity to pick a bunch of Marvel Essential collections up on the cheap. Do you get used to the BW? Does it hinder the reading experience?

They are great to give to kids as coloring books! lol

5 hours ago, Blastaar said:

Do you get used to the BW? Does it hinder the reading experience?

BW enhances the experience, at least for SA Marvel. Marvels inks were so bad in the SA (always off center, splotchy, and desaturated) that the art looks so much better just without the inks.

Edited by HuddyBee

10 hours ago, NoMan said:

if you're on a budget, the Essential Collection or nothing, than yeah, the B&W stuff. However, the books were originally made in color and they had an expert, learned colorist working on the books so they deserve to be read in color. POST CLOSED!

If I had a bunch of The Essential B&W collections, I'd put 'em in a pile and start a fire. 

The best black-and-white reprints ever done are the oversized  Russ Cochran EC Library sets. It’s fantastic to see all of the often quite intricate detail in the original artwork without colour obscuring any lines.

Even without Marie Severin’s input, one of the greatest colourists ever to work in comics, the series are a joy to read and to admire the craftsmanship of classic artists such as Frazetta, Williamson, Wood and Ingels.

Edited by Ken Aldred

15 hours ago, Blastaar said:

I always spend the extra money to get the color TPBs or Omnibus but have the opportunity to pick a bunch of Marvel Essential collections up on the cheap. Do you get used to the BW? Does it hinder the reading experience?

I find the superhero stuff to be less enjoyable in black and white. Something like Tomb of Dracula though is glorious in B&W. All of Gene Colon's work should be in B&W

Edited by Jeffro™

1 hour ago, Jeffro™ said:

I find the superhero stuff to be less enjoyable in black and white. Something like Tomb of Dracula though is glorious in B&W. All of Gene Colon's work should be in B&W

Agreed, my favorite Essentials and Showcases are all horror: Tomb of Dracula, Frankenstein's Monster, House of Secrets, etc are all great reads in this format.