Faithless #1 "DO NOT ENCAPSULATE"
1 1

200 posts in this topic

11,854 posts
1 hour ago, Ducktape said:

I apologize if I hijacked this thread. RockMyAmadeus-- you can pm me if you'd like to continue this conversation. Back to Faithless #1 "DO NOT ENCAPSULATE".

I'm glad cgc is grading certain variants. 

 

:foryou:

 

I don't like that cover at all. I would imagine a young woman being quite embarrassed by it, displaying as it does a deeply personal and potentially emotionally troubling time for her. That is not something that belongs on the cover of a comic book which may well find itself sitting alongside superhero duff ups at any shop, convention or online portal. CGC made a mistake here, and should not have graded it. Labelling it "virgin cover" is taking the Michael a little, no? Kate Bush did it much more subtly with Never Forever. 

I'm of the old school who think that society has become coursened to the point where there is no mystery anymore. I understand the arguments for greater liberalisation but it's just not for me. Despite some obviously excellent artwork, I find these intentionally pornographic covers awful. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55,956 posts
7 hours ago, Ducktape said:

I apologize if I hijacked this thread.

You didn't hijack anything. The whole conversation has been on-topic. There's no need to PM; this is an important conversation to have publicly. We ought not fear serious discussions about serious topics. It's a nice break from the endless snark. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,551 posts

What if you have blown up a lot of stuff as a kid? 

I'm asking for a friend. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55,956 posts
1 hour ago, NoMan said:

What if you have blown up a lot of stuff as a kid? 

I'm asking for a friend. 

Were any people blown up in the process...? hm

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,551 posts
Posted (edited)
59 minutes ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

Were any people blown up in the process...? hm

Never. Just stuff. Like mailboxes, tree stumps, Micronaut toys ( :mad:) and stuff. My friend never wanted to hurt others and took great care not to.

Edited by NoMan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55,956 posts
1 minute ago, NoMan said:

Never. Just stuff. Like mailboxes and stuff. My friend never wanted to hurt others and took great care not to.

Where's the fun in that...? If people aren't losing limbs, it's not a party. :banana:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,551 posts
59 minutes ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

Where's the fun in that...? If people aren't losing limbs, it's not a party. :banana:

 

NoMan's true Los Angeles Stories:

1987- just moved to Los Angeles. Got a furnished apartment in Burbank, Olive and Buena Vista. Olive Caprie - Luxury Living for You and Me. Was walking to what used to be a Safeway down Olive, across from where Bruce used to have his comic shop. In the parking lot was a fire works stand, kinda an inside deal. Cool! Fire work stands are a common site where I'm from. I walk inside. IT'S A BAIT AND SWITCH DEAL - pictures of kids missing limbs every where from fireworks mishaps. Moans coming through cheap speakers. Folks dressed up as Doctors and Nurses fake operating on someone amputating a limb. Fake blood. Firesworks are illegal in California, Son one of the fake doctors tells me. "They can be deadly."

Put on by the Lions or Rotary or some such mess. Went everyday it was so bad-.

Looked for it following year and never saw it again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,011 posts
19 hours ago, newshane said:

CGC is within their rights to refuse service.  

^^^ 100%

People may disagree with the stance that CGC has taken here.  But, the fact of the matter is that it is completely within their rights as a private entity to take whatever stance they want (or change or make exceptions to that stance).  This is the only argument that can be made here, and the only argument that actually matters.

There are a lot of opinions being shared in this thread.  There are a lot of people who are pushing their own personal beliefs as reasons for why CGC should/shouldn't grade these types of covers.  NONE of this matters.  Our opinions carry no weight with regards to shaping CGC policy.  We should stop acting like our enthusiasm and loyalty to CGC entitles us as part owners of the company with voting rights on all decisions they make.  Clearly this is not the case.

Everyone should respect the fact that, as a private company, CGC is free to grade (or not grade) whatever books they choose... even if you disagree with the position that they've taken.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11,854 posts
11 minutes ago, masterlogan2000 said:

^^^ 100%

People may disagree with the stance that CGC has taken here.  But, the fact of the matter is that it is completely within their rights as a private entity to take whatever stance they want (or change or make exceptions to that stance).  This is the only argument that can be made here, and the only argument that actually matters.

There are a lot of opinions being shared in this thread.  There are a lot of people who are pushing their own personal beliefs as reasons for why CGC should/shouldn't grade these types of covers.  NONE of this matters.  Our opinions carry no weight with regards to shaping CGC policy.  We should stop acting like our enthusiasm and loyalty to CGC entitles us as part owners of the company with voting rights on all decisions they make.  Clearly this is not the case.

Everyone should respect the fact that, as a private company, CGC is free to grade (or not grade) whatever books they choose... even if you disagree with the position that they've taken.

My opinion doesn't matter?  Nor does yours or anyone else's? 

Oh. 

Let's all pack up and go home then. Nothing to see here :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55,956 posts
21 minutes ago, masterlogan2000 said:

Our opinions carry no weight with regards to shaping CGC policy.

That is not accurate.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11,854 posts

I managed to get CGC to change their labelling from "UK Edition" to "UK Price Variant" so they do listen. 

I'm pretty sure if all the heavy weight submitters gave CGC an ultimatum - stop slabbing porn or we stop submitting - they might listen. Alas, I'm not one of them. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,551 posts
1 hour ago, masterlogan2000 said:

^^^ 100%

People may disagree with the stance that CGC has taken here.  But, the fact of the matter is that it is completely within their rights as a private entity to take whatever stance they want (or change or make exceptions to that stance).  This is the only argument that can be made here, and the only argument that actually matters.

There are a lot of opinions being shared in this thread.  There are a lot of people who are pushing their own personal beliefs as reasons for why CGC should/shouldn't grade these types of covers.  NONE of this matters.  Our opinions carry no weight with regards to shaping CGC policy.  We should stop acting like our enthusiasm and loyalty to CGC entitles us as part owners of the company with voting rights on all decisions they make.  Clearly this is not the case.

Everyone should respect the fact that, as a private company, CGC is free to grade (or not grade) whatever books they choose... even if you disagree with the position that they've taken.

People are just having a conversation about this. Is that ok? Don't think anybody is advocating picking up guns and torches to storm the Holy Land in Florida. Or, conversely, to pick up guns and torches and find those that they disagree with.

People are just talking, while doing stuff around the house. Cool?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55,956 posts
2 minutes ago, NoMan said:

Or, conversely, to pick up guns and torches and find those that they disagree with.

I hope not. My mailbox still hasn't recovered from your last visit.. :frustrated:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,011 posts
9 minutes ago, RockMyAmadeus said:
30 minutes ago, masterlogan2000 said:

Our opinions carry no weight with regards to shaping CGC policy.

That is not accurate.

Sorry, let me clarify.  Our INDIVIDUAL opinions carry no weight with regards to shaping CGC policy.  If they did, then these boards would become even more of a screaming match as people they try to shape CGC policy to fit their own beliefs.

CGC makes policy decisions based on what they think is best for CGC, not any individual who spends hours each day chatting on their message boards.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55,956 posts
Just now, masterlogan2000 said:

Sorry, let me clarify.  Our INDIVIDUAL opinions carry no weight with regards to shaping CGC policy.  If they did, then these boards would become even more of a screaming match as people they try to shape CGC policy to fit their own beliefs.

CGC makes policy decisions based on what they think is best for CGC, not any individual who spends hours each day chatting on their message boards.

That is still not accurate.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11,854 posts
3 minutes ago, masterlogan2000 said:

Our INDIVIDUAL opinions carry no weight with regards to shaping CGC policy.

Mine did :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,011 posts
9 minutes ago, NoMan said:
40 minutes ago, masterlogan2000 said:

^^^ 100%

People may disagree with the stance that CGC has taken here.  But, the fact of the matter is that it is completely within their rights as a private entity to take whatever stance they want (or change or make exceptions to that stance).  This is the only argument that can be made here, and the only argument that actually matters.

There are a lot of opinions being shared in this thread.  There are a lot of people who are pushing their own personal beliefs as reasons for why CGC should/shouldn't grade these types of covers.  NONE of this matters.  Our opinions carry no weight with regards to shaping CGC policy.  We should stop acting like our enthusiasm and loyalty to CGC entitles us as part owners of the company with voting rights on all decisions they make.  Clearly this is not the case.

Everyone should respect the fact that, as a private company, CGC is free to grade (or not grade) whatever books they choose... even if you disagree with the position that they've taken.

People are just having a conversation about this. Is that ok? Don't think anybody is advocating picking up guns and torches to storm the Holy Land in Florida. Or, conversely, to pick up guns and torches and find those that they disagree with.

People are just talking, while doing stuff around the house. Cool?

(thumbsu  That's more than cool with me.

I'm not sure what my post has to do with gun violence, but if that's what you got out of my post, then I guess my words had a very strong impact on you.

I'm simply trying to drive the point home that CGC has every right to shape their own policy and that people should respect that.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,551 posts
1 hour ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

I hope not. My mailbox still hasn't recovered from your last visit.. :frustrated:

I'd dig through your mailbox and grab the goodies before I blew it up. No sense destroying nice books. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,011 posts
14 minutes ago, Get Marwood & I said:

I managed to get CGC to change their labelling from "UK Edition" to "UK Price Variant" so they do listen. 

2 minutes ago, Get Marwood & I said:
5 minutes ago, masterlogan2000 said:

Our INDIVIDUAL opinions carry no weight with regards to shaping CGC policy.

Mine did :)

They listened, but a change in labelling request is not really an "opinion". :foryou:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55,956 posts
1 hour ago, NoMan said:

Got a furnished apartment in Burbank, Olive and Buena Vista. Olive Caprie - Luxury Living for You and Me. Was walking to what used to be a Safeway down Olive, across from where Bruce used to have his comic shop.

Was that near the intersection of Olive and Verdugo...? I think that was a Vons by the time I moved there in '99, and is now a CVS.

I strolled by Bruce's store "downtown" a few weeks back...same ol' Bruce. That guy's a vampire.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
1 1