• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heritage European Comic Art Auction - 2019 June 8 & 9

28 posts in this topic

Could not find any topic on this auction, does it mean that it is of no interest to you (by "you" I mean "most of US collectors")? Is it because there is little Marvel / DC pages? Because of higher fees and art shipped from Europe? 

I went to the exhibition yesterday and there's nice pages to look at. But I'm a European collector :bigsmile:

I saw a lot of cool images in there -- I know some of the artists but many of them are unknown to me. Do people who know the field better see this as a strong collection? Is much of the work fresh to market? A level pieces?  I'd love to learn more about this stuff.

Wish I knew more about the Segrelles market. Lovely art but the reserves...I have no idea. 

I always find these auctions confusing. They show as Dallas for me, but then the bp is 25% and I assume the art is in Europe. Does HA handle the shipping to the states as per their normal auctions? Details seem to suggest pickup only option.

There was a decent amount of US material in here - for me, of course, the Everett Subby 51 page was an attraction but someone else took home this beauty.  I put in a thrill bid on the Bill S. Dune Splash - was shocked at final result $17.5K with bp.

52 minutes ago, mtlevy1 said:

There was a decent amount of US material in here - for me, of course, the Everett Subby 51 page was an attraction but someone else took home this beauty.  I put in a thrill bid on the Bill S. Dune Splash - was shocked at final result $17.5K with bp.

Yeah, I was watching a few items and the Sienkiewicze art went pretty high with the Dune page a big surprise, and even the Moon Knight page, a pretty terrific one, went for almost 10k with the BP.  A Neal Adams Tomahawk cover also did pretty well at 17.5k, although I'm partial to Adams Western covers and have a few in my collection.  Can't really comment intelligently about the European art results as I don't follow it much, although a lot of it is gorgeous.  Any experts want to weight in there?

There didn't seem to be much live bidding action.  Most of the pieces I was tracking ended up selling at the last internet bid.

Notable results:

Tintin $1.125m

Moebius splash $87,500

Raymond Flash Gordon Sunday $38,750 (really surprised a piece from his less prized later period (1942 in this case) went for this much)

Peanuts from 1964 $32,500 (this seemed like a very strong price for a post-1950s daily)

Edited by tth2

9 hours ago, tth2 said:

There didn't seem to be much live bidding action.  Most of the pieces I was tracking ended up selling at the last internet bid.

Notable results:

Tintin $1.125m

Moebius splash $87,500

Raymond Flash Gordon Sunday $38,750 (really surprised a piece from his less prized later period (1942 in this case) went for this much)

Peanuts from 1964 $32,500 (this seemed like a very strong price for a post-1950s daily)

Ummmm....isn't $1.125 mil like dirt cheap for an important Tintin cover?? I'm no expert on this, so, what am I missing here?? 

2 hours ago, delekkerste said:

Ummmm....isn't $1.125 mil like dirt cheap for an important Tintin cover?? I'm no expert on this, so, what am I missing here?? 

I watched that, very uninspired bidding, I read somewhere the estimate was around 2 million +

19 hours ago, tth2 said:

Notable results:

Tintin $1.125m

Moebius splash $87,500

The Peanuts was a shocker to me.  

1 hour ago, NicoV said:

Marini's art for Batman still sold well - to be honest a lot of European collectors don't really see why, but hey it seems like some people are ready to pay big money for his pages

Thanks for the European perspective on the auction and Marini specifically. We Stateside collectors were puzzled over a domestic sale HA reserve for one his Batmans (last year iirc) also.

1 hour ago, NicoV said:

results for Druillet and Tardi are quite good...as well as the David B page (there's not a lot of pages on the market)

I thought that David B example was stunning, separate from scarcity.

8 hours ago, NicoV said:

I'll just add that the Dune page by Sienkiewicz made two happy collectors out of three: the winner and the consignor. I'm the third one. As for the reason, I think there's only one possible reason for such prices on this kind of page: strong nostalgia.

I know the winner. No nostalgia at all...he wasn't even born when the comic came out! One of the young collectors I've mentioned in passing before. Will have him on the podcast soon.