• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Think this Kirby is Legit?

39 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, artdealer said:

0F507A6F-24C9-477C-9388-E6A9CF3A36FB.jpeg

Probably not? So much "work" done on the dedication, gone over several times (??), and the signature...forced not natural. No strong opinion on the art in isolation.

3 minutes ago, vodou said:

Probably not? So much "work" done on the dedication, gone over several times (??), and the signature...forced not natural. No strong opinion on the art in isolation.

I think it might be legit.  Iron man looks good.

the sig could just be rushed. 

27 minutes ago, vodou said:

I have the same reaction.

Bits of the drawing show hesitations as well. Also pencil line seems “softer” and unsteady than Kirby pencils. Less angularity to the sketching. The more natural bits are areas where someone could turn their brain off, like the filling in of shadows.

There are quite a number of areas where what should be gestural linework in a real Kirby appear to have been gone over more than once. I have trouble believing Kirby would do this in the 60s, at the height of his creative powers. I see laboring all over it.

I’d certainly pass, fwiw.

Edited by ESeffinga

I would say no. The whole right side of the page seems off. Coincidentally where the crease is. The right hand doesn’t look crisp and bigger than it should be. Especially the right foot is way off. The way it doesn’t really fit the size of the leg. Just my opinion 

No. For what everyone has said. The whole inscription seems like its way to forced and the sig is off and why is it printed!?!? There arent any "sketch" lines from Kirby roughing in the figure, so I assume its someone tracing an actual sketch and they are only picking up the final deeper lines... 

1 minute ago, miraclemet said:

OMG Kirby stole from Bob Layton! And 40 years before Layton even did his sketch, thats some serious thievery!

9_9

2 minutes ago, artdealer said:

No. The Layton says “after Kirby”.

so there is probably a legit pencil drawing of iron man out there.

:sumo:Capture.PNG.29cb69dfc6558327a6dad50a24355d79.png.ec84042e92b3ff4b486253d6769bdf78.png:sumo: