• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Think this Kirby is Legit?

39 posts in this topic

6 minutes ago, ESeffinga said:

The Layton is signed After Kirby.

Subterfuge! Layton respects Kirby and doesn't want to sue after all. Or even be bothered by fanboy encouragement to "just GO FOR IT dude!!"

2 minutes ago, Bill C said:

There is a Kirby Iron Man sketch Jack did around '68... just saw it posted online somewhere in the last few months. I kept a copy of the image but don't know where it is at this point.

Anyway, the image in the OP may be a re-do of the seemingly legit one that surfaced (IIRC)

1504009225_zzziron(8).jpg.beae13a44da5fee1531c704b544378f6.jpg

3 minutes ago, vodou said:

Much LESS over-n-over in the dedication lol

And a decent distant foot. We got there in the end. 

I was asked why this sketch is no good.  You guys are all covering the answer very well. I'm reluctant to get into "why" anymore online, as I noticed that every time I got deep into how to tell a forger's work, at least one forger was reading the thread to see how to improve his work. So: it's fake, it's fake for the reasons you've uncovered, and it's fake for some more reasons that I won't get into. 

tell tale signs of an amateur is the line weight which is the same all around. Kirby used different line weights when he drew.

Definitely a fake and it is instantly recognizable to me as a fake. Maybe it is something an accomplished artist can easily recognize. The shapes, the lines, the weights of the lines. It is horrid.

The signature doesn't look remotely like Kirby's either.

Honestly it is visually awful. Please don't buy it.

Edited by Artboy99

I can’t contribute to the debate as to whether this is legit, but as a simple country boy I have to say that both the pencils and the inked job by Layton look quite nice ...tricky hobby...